Cache Contents

I find a penny to be about as worthless as random stuff picked up around the cache site.

Agreed. If all you have is money, then don't bother trading, because you really aren't trading at all.

In my opinion, there are a couple of related points to keep in mind:

1. Money is legal tender, not a trade item.
  2. Caches are not stores where you buy things.

Also, if a muggle stumbles upon a cache and finds it has a bunch of money in it, they may come back multiple times in the future to see if more money has been left, or they may go seeking out other caches to see if they have money too.

Even if you argue that money is a valid trade item, a penny would almost definitely be "trading down", which goes against all the guidance and recommendations surrounding trading in geocaching.

I find a penny to be about as worthless as random stuff picked up around the cache site. But then again I don't go cacheing to get goodies.

I'd much rather see a penny in the cache than a leaf. I turned them into Lucky Penny geoswag. smile.gif

elephants.jpg

I find a penny to be about as worthless as random stuff picked up around the cache site.

Agreed. If all you have is money, then don't bother trading, because you really aren't trading at all.

In my opinion, there are a couple of related points to keep in mind:

1. Money is legal tender, not a trade item.
  2. Caches are not stores where you buy things.

Also, if a muggle stumbles upon a cache and finds it has a bunch of money in it, they may come back multiple times in the future to see if more money has been left, or they may go seeking out other caches to see if they have money too.

Even if you argue that money is a valid trade item, a penny would almost definitely be "trading down", which goes against all the guidance and recommendations surrounding trading in geocaching.

I agree except in the case of foreign currency. I would't leave a quarter in a cache but I've got a bunch of Malaysian 1 ringget coins (worth about 28 cents, US) that probably have more collectible value than their actually value as a currency.

Are you sure the leaf was left as a trade item? When I find leaves, sticks, rocks, dirt, etc. in a cache, I generally assume that someone dumped the cache contents on the ground, and then just scooped it all back into the cache, along with whatever happened to be on the ground.

Are you sure the leaf was left as a trade item? When I find leaves, sticks, rocks, dirt, etc. in a cache, I generally assume that someone dumped the cache contents on the ground, and then just scooped it all back into the cache, along with whatever happened to be on the ground.

+1

Had an ammo can near a hemlock, and every time we did maintenance, we'd scoop out a handful of those tiny pine cones. :)

+1

Had an ammo can near a hemlock, and every time we did maintenance, we'd scoop out a handful of those tiny xxxpinexxx hemlock cones. :) fixed it for ya.. :)