Hey you Jersey folk...

mogolloyd

quote:
Originally posted by mogolloyd:

Why hasn't anyone done a Toxic Avenger, or Troma related cache? And there's only one Jersey devil cache? Let's step up on the few cool things Jersey is known for. icon_smile.gif

I've seen a few caches that SHOULD have been named "Toxic Avenger", hehehehehe. I thought there WAS a Troma related cache?

ALL the caches in the pinelands are jersey devil related if you do them in the dark, hehehehe.

And dont forget to check out all the "Weird NJ" caches Gwho and SunCrush have hid.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Few cool things that NJ is known for? What about Sinatra, the Giants (Jets aren't cool), The Sopranos, Franklinite, Asbury Park, Lou Costello, Tripod Rock, Grover Cleveland, Thomas Edison, Queen Latifah, The Great Falls, Atlantic City, the battleship New Jersey, the Capitol Theatre (now gone), Ellis Island, Monmouth Battlefield, the Pine Barrens, Pine Hill (the world famous golf course), Rutts Hut, Barnegat Lighthouse, Weird NJ magazine, Lucy the Margate Elephant, the Kinnelon Route 23 pole art, the Jackson Whites, the USS Rancocas, Alexander Hamilton's death rock, the Blue Hole, Jack Nicholson, Clinton Road and The Hot Grill?

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

Brian,

You list all that and don't mention Springsteen and Debbie Harry? There's also:

Cape May

Washington's Crossing

Princeton

Wildwood (to some, not me)

Welch's grape juice

the world's largest blown glass

the world's first recycled bridge (at least that is what the cache indicates icon_wink.gif )

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

quote:
Few cool things that NJ is known for? What about Sinatra, the Giants (Jets aren't cool), The Sopranos, Franklinite, Asbury Park, Lou Costello, Tripod Rock, Grover Cleveland, Thomas Edison, Queen Latifah, The Great Falls, Atlantic City, the battleship New Jersey, the Capitol Theatre (now gone), Ellis Island, Monmouth Battlefield, the Pine Barrens, Pine Hill (the world famous golf course), Rutts Hut, Barnegat Lighthouse, Weird NJ magazine, Lucy the Margate Elephant, the Kinnelon Route 23 pole art, the Jackson Whites, the USS Rancocas, Alexander Hamilton's death rock, the Blue Hole, Jack Nicholson, Clinton Road and The Hot Grill?

Your opening my eyes to good things from NJ, but I have to shoot a few of them down. The Giants are the NY giants, I know the stadium is in NJ, but the Redskins are in MD, and no one down here considers them the MD redskins. I had never heard of tripod rock, and now that I have my life is still the same. Atlantic City is ghetto Vegas. I thought Ellis Island was considered New York? Never heard of the rt 23 pole art until now and it is as cool as it gets. So 1 more up on NJ for the pole art.

I just have weird and confused feelings toward nj. I'm sick of getting yelled @ for gas station attendants for pumping my own gas. No hollow points? Whats up with that? The jug handle just to make a left? The signs on the side of the TP telling you the trees are dangerous due to chemicals. Sewark. All those white deer people put out for Christmas. All those Indian names, and I have never seen an Indian in NJ, I'm sure they're there somewhere.

icon_smile.gif

quote:

Why hasn't anyone done a Toxic Avenger, or Troma related cache? And there's only one Jersey devil cache? Let's step up on the few cool things Jersey is known for. icon_smile.gif

Last time I checked the Troma HQ is in NYC. In the middle of Hell's kitchen.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

quote:
I thought Ellis Island was considered New York?

Actually a federal judge ruled that most of it was in NJ. NJ gave a tiny island to NY and they kept making it bigger and bigger. NJ said only the original part should be considered NY and the judge agreed, so about 3/4 of the island is in NJ.

Yeah, I'm not much of a Springsteen fan either.

And ya don't have to get gas smell on your hands

when filling up.

The Jackson Whites are supposedly part Indian. They call themselves the Ramapough Tribe...but historians doubt their claim. The indians that lived here at the time of first contact, the Lenni Lenape, gave many of the Indian place names that we still have in NJ. They were pretty much decimated by disease fairly quickly and the remainder were eventually sent to "Indian Territory" about the same time the Cherokee embarked on their "Trail of Tears".

There are apparently some left here, because they have a website: http://www.nanticoke-lenape.org/

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

quote:

quote:
were gonna put it out this weekend in the Pines...

Could you please translate "the pines" over to redneckinese? I see the pines mentioned a lot and the only thing I can figure is they are some specific woods where hics and mythical creatures live.

See This thread for a pretty good description. Also check out pineypower.com for some good info.

pinelands.gif

It's really a shame that when most people think of NJ, they think of the area around Newark Airport. If only they could see the mountains in north Jersey, or the 1.1 million acres of sparcely populated Pine Barrens In the south.

There is a reason why NJ has the most physical caches per square mile then any other place in the world. We really DO have the open spaces to support it.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
I guess NJ has been living under years of unfound prejudice. I will do my part and speak out on NJ's behalf to all my fellow Virginian's. I will be NJ's good will ambassador.

Good thing, or we'd have to sic Tony Soprano on you.

quote:

<<SNIP>>I will be NJ's good will ambassador.

Great! Just what we need. Another person that wants to speak on our behalf. Line forms to the left.

icon_wink.gif

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

And ya don't have to get gas smell on your hands

when filling up.

It looks as though we may be the only state left with this privelege as there is a bill in the Oregon legislature to remove the restrictions on self-serve.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

quote:

[i just have weird and confused feelings toward nj. I'm sick of getting yelled @ for gas station attendants for pumping my own gas.

No hollow points? Whats up with that?

The jug handle just to make a left?

All those Indian names, and I have never seen an Indian in NJ, I'm sure they're there somewhere.

icon_smile.gif

Some of us still pump our own no matter how much they yell. We just yell back that they are too slow, and if they don't want us to pump it, they need to pickup the pace.

Hollow Points? They still sell them, I still use em.

Jug handles were invented when too many New York taxies were coming over and hitting everyone coming in the other direction.

I make the assumption you mean Native American Indians, so with that... Nice to meet you.

quote:
I make the assumption you mean Native American Indians, so with that... Nice to meet you.

Nice to meet you as well, and thanks for stepping out. Now the big question, can you trace your ancestors to NJ, or did you/they come from a diffrent area of the country?

quote:

quote:
Last time I checked the Troma HQ is in NYC. In the middle of Hell's kitchen.

It is, but it's roots are in NJ

The company is in NYC, but Toxie is known as the First Superhero from New Jersey... i have the DVD and it says that really big on the front. The only problem with making a Toxie or Troma themed cache is that there aren't that many little trinkets of Troma stuff to be had.

quote:

Nice to meet you as well, and thanks for stepping out. Now the big question, can you trace your ancestors to NJ, or did you/they come from a diffrent area of the country?

Actually, the EVIL white man forced my ancestors out. Most of us live in the Dakota's. I snuck out and made it back to Northern New Jersey looking to hunt the sacred OboeFlyer.