Landowner permissions

burkey89

Hello all, I've just made my first geocache but at the moment I need to get the landowners permission to show to my cache reviewer for it to go live. As far as I'm aware the local nature reserve that I have placed it on is owned and managed by york city council. On their website they have an application for placing a geocache form. The problem is I am stuck with the form as it's asking me for "GPS (OSGB) British grid reference and also GPS (WGS84) grid reference. Can anyone help the only info I have is what my etrex told me which is the usual coordinates starting with N them W.

Any help will be appreciated as I'm eager to have my cache up and running

I think they're looking for the OS grid reference (the coordinate thing your geography teacher probably kept on going on about).

If you look at any UK cache page it has a grid ref underneath the coordinates at the top of the listing (under the name and so on).

I would imagine someone might move this to the UK forum. There's probably the right sort of people there to give you a better answer.

What they want is, as an example your Found cache today is

N 53° 58.948 W 001° 06.422

As OSGB/British Grid: SE 58655 54413

There IS a conversion on the cache page... Or is it that I've a Greasemonkey Script for it?

Try http://trigpointing.uk/info/convert-wgs.php

"This popup converts latitide and longitude coordinates in the WGS84 datum to a national grid reference in the OSGB36 datum. It is useful for people who like to keep their GPS set to a WGS84 datum (eg some geocachers)."

Also, depending on which GPS, it's a Faff, but doable.

Save the Waypoint as lat/long WGS84.

Re-set your GPS to OSGB etc.

Re-open saved waypoint.

It should now show as eg AB123456 as per OS map grid.

REMEMBER to re-set ALL things you have changed on the GPS... :o

Or you will have problems looking for more caches!

Edited by Bear and Ragged

I took at look at the York form. Well, it's not entirely nonsense. It is the OSGB that is required according to the form. The WGS84 that is optional.

Many GPS receivers allow for switching from one datum to another. My Garmin switches happily to 'Ord Svy GB' (Ordnance Survey). Switch to that and set your 'Position format' to 'British Grid' and take your reading (waypoint averaging is preferred for a better fix). When done, switch back to WGS84 ddd mm.mmm and give 'em that, too, if they really need it.

Edited by ecanderson