Caching With a GoPro

messi#10

I have a GoPro Hero 3 Silver and I would like to know what other people think about it. What is the best ways of using it while caching? What do you use?

Check the net - there are some videos of caching online. The hunt can be good video, but avoid the spoilers. And the video of caching will never be as exciting as one from the cam on a surfer, skier, or Tony Stewart racing dash-cam.

I have a GoPro Hero 3 Silver and I would like to know what other people think about it. What is the best ways of using it while caching? What do you use?

Check the net - there are some videos of caching online. The hunt can be good video, but avoid the spoilers. And the video of caching will never be as exciting as one from the cam on a surfer, skier, or Tony Stewart racing dash-cam.

Try it from the helmet on a mountain bike, I do a lot of my caches that way.

Posting photos (or video) of where and how caches are hidden can be seen as a violation of the TOU of the site. As a CO, I would not like it if someone gave away the hide on some of my higher difficulty caches.

Well THAT came out of nowhere.

You HAVE noticed that cache pages have photo galleries, no? Just because someone is taking a picture doesn't mean they are posting a spoiler.

I've had it mounted on the end of a hiking pole on a group hike once so I could capture some group photos. With the wide angle lens, I just hold it above the group for a "Hail Mary" video shot and later select a frame grab.

I've thought about, but never tried, using it in time lapse mode as an event recorde. If your clock is synced up properly (or if you know the exact time), you can geotag it with your tracklog. You can use the ventilated helmet mount to strap it against the shoulder strap of a backpack. Or rig up your own over the shoulder mount. The GoPro doesn't have great battery life, even with the battery bacpac. And that's with wifi turned off.

I can think of 3 other uses for it, other than the obvious "take some photos / videos of my outing" - get photos of trackables to discover if I'm not moving them, help me remember something about a cache when writing logs, something to help jog my memory when someone asks for a hint about the hide a couple of years down the road.

I've also used the 3 way grip / mini tripod thing. It works well but I felt it is rather overpriced.

If you're taking videos, even if you're doing BASE jumps, you will probably end up with lots of footage with nothing happening. I use avidemux (free, google for it if you're interested) to do simple lossless cutting / splicing. I think the only thing I needed to change is to set the output drop-down to "MP4 muxer". Test it out, make sure your spliced video works before deleting the original. This is just the initial "cut out the boring parts" of the edit, you'll need to import it into some other tool to finalize your video if you want to get that million views on youtube.

some really good video productions have been done with geocaching. It can be fun, but don't post any spoilers! :anibad:

f you order the head strap you also get a clip that will fit on the back of a ball cap