Melvin's Multiple Madness, anyone?

Team Og Rof A Klaw

Hi, all,

Kber and I are planning to go out on Melvin's Multiple Madness on Oct. 25. Anyone nuts enough to join us?

We'll debark from the parking point at 12:30 PM. Please read the cache description and the logs carefully, and come prepared with everything you think you'll need. Comms will be via cellphone.

Heavy rain within 2 days prior, or other unforseen problems, reschedules to a later weekend.

Please RSVP.

Cheers,

- Team Og.

- Team Og Rof A Klaw

All who wander are not lost.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Og Rof A Klaw:

Hi, all,

Kber and I are planning to go out on http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=0facb7b3-3852-4604-be1b-2b35f2ab6032 on Oct. 25. Anyone nuts enough to join us?

We'll debark from the parking point at 12:30 PM. Please read the cache description and the logs carefully, and come prepared with everything you think you'll need. Comms will be via cellphone.

Heavy rain within 2 days prior, or other unforseen problems, reschedules to a later weekend.

Please RSVP.

Cheers,

- Team Og.

- Team Og Rof A Klaw

_All who wander are not lost._

From the last finder's log there is a stage missing. YOu might want to see if it has been replaced before going out.

If I can make one comment. Although, I wouldn't attempt this alone, too big of a group might not be good either, as some soft area really get mushy once two or three cachers pass through.

If you see two flashing points on a distant hill, that me sitting next to Marty! icon_wink.gif

Brian: Roger that. 12:30 PM Oct 25 is low tide minus 2.5 hours.

Ekitt10: Roger that as well. We can fan out on the mushy spots and avoid trampling the waypoints.

(I wanted to ask a couple of questions about the best way to approach waypoint 1 and cross Melvin's, but I'll desist.)

quote:
If you see two flashing points on a distant hill, that me sitting next to Marty!
It's a heliograph, sir! "The... long... sobs... of the... dead... clams..." icon_biggrin.gif

- Team Og Rof A Klaw

quote:
Originally posted by Team Og Rof A Klaw:

Why FRS and not cell?

Because there is already a FRS radio out there for you to use icon_wink.gif

Sorry, bad joke and a little jab at Brian. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Ekitt10: Roger that as well. We can fan out on the mushy spots and avoid trampling the waypoints.

(I wanted to ask a couple of questions about the best way to approach waypoint 1 and cross Melvin's, but I'll desist.)

icon_smile.gif

You'll see! Don't worry about trampling down the area. The tides will take care of any evidence that you existed in that spot.

quote:
Why FRS and not cell?

Cell would be fine too. I just find FRS easier. You don't have to keep dialing numbers. Just press a button and talk.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

Hip boots are good to have. I wore hiking boots and waterproof gaiters when I did it. They functioned fine. Everyone else wore chest waders. Chest waders are not necessary though (unless you misread the tide charts icon_wink.gif)

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Hip boots are good to have. I wore hiking boots and waterproof gaiters when I did it. They functioned fine. Everyone else wore chest waders. Chest waders are not necessary though (unless you misread the tide charts icon_wink.gif

Can't hurt, especially depending on the phase of the moon and prevailing winds and how/where you end up making various crossings. When we did Melvin's, at dead low tide, I wore boots that went right up to my crotch, and at one point the water poured in over the top. (Stop laughing, Nik!)

"This is gc.com, love it or leave it "

Welcome, Bldebabe!

The weather looks like a go. According to the tide tables, conditions should be as good as we can hope for (-0.8 foot low tide.)

I have that stuff and a 1:15,000 topo map as well. Will send you some notes later.

- Team Og Rof A Klaw

[This message was edited by Team Og Rof A Klaw on October 23, 2003 at 10:05 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Can't hurt, especially depending on the phase of the moon and prevailing winds and how/where you end up making various crossings. When we did Melvin's, at dead low tide, I wore boots that went right up to my crotch, and at one point the water poured in over the top. (Stop laughing, Nik!)

How tall are you, Mopar? icon_biggrin.gif

- Team Og Rof A Klaw

Congratulations to The Fifth Melvin's Expeditionary Force. Nice to see the energy with which they entered the swamp for the third stage. I've made some minor clarifications to the cache description to aid the next brave souls who attempt it.

Yes, Bassoon Pilot , the time frame seems right, you probably did see them in the swamp. I didn't see anyone else out there.