GSAK and Android

ras_oscar

GSAK has been the center of my caching world for quite some time now. I recently purchaced but did not activate an Android phone (my cel service at home is spoty, and wifi with VOIP is free..... you get the picture). I would be interested in exploring an android app that would allow me to bring more cache info on the trail with me than my Garmin will hold. What app works best with GSAK exports?

GSAK has been the center of my caching world for quite some time now. I recently purchaced but did not activate an Android phone (my cel service at home is spoty, and wifi with VOIP is free..... you get the picture). I would be interested in exploring an android app that would allow me to bring more cache info on the trail with me than my Garmin will hold. What app works best with GSAK exports?

I've not tried either, but a quick search reveals there's Geocaching Droid Army Knife and an add-on for LOCUS.

Locus Map Pro may be the best caching app in existence. Best app for mapping too, and the combination of caching and mapping is something to behold.

Works brilliantly in offline mode (no cell coverage), and online too via the API.

Like GSAK, a bit of a learning curve because there's so much in there...

PS: there's an add-in for Locus that imports GSAK databases whole and shows 'em on the map. (It doesn't work for me, I think because I'm still on an older GSAK version.) But Locus also accepts GPX files from PQs or GSAK and does the right thing.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Locus Map Pro and GSAK addon, if you want your GSAK database always with you. Can hold really a lot of caches. If I know where I am going next day, I load PQs, mostly via Live API.

Abroad without data plan I use preloaded offline-maps and preloaded PQs and disable internet connection, so no extra roaming costs. With data plan I also sometimes use addon Geocaching4Locus to see whether there are newly published Caches around. In Flight mode I use my old BT-GPS receiver instead of build in GPS

Others prefer c:geo. Also has some funtionality for offline caching (maps, Import gpx)

I've not tried either, but a quick search reveals there's Geocaching Droid Army Knife and an add-on for LOCUS.

Yes, I know how to use Google and I was aware of the available apps. I was looking for input from people that had used them.

Yes, I know how to use Google and I was aware of the available apps. I was looking for input from people that had used them.

Well, I really like GDAK. I do all my massaging of data on GSAK, hook up my phone to my PC, drag and drop my GSAK database folder to my phone storage, and it's good to go. I can also download and import PQ's that are sitting in my downlaodable PQ list and save them as another database or combine in an existing one. Very easy and often handy. You can navigate to the caches using the app if you want and it supports logging or submitting field notes. When displaying a cache, everything is available right off the basic cache info screen via tabs or menu selections. There is also database filtering and searching capabilities that are pretty easy to use. Most of it is pretty intuitive. It has other features too, but I don't use them often. I suggest you download the free one and play with it a bit. If you don't like it you can always uninstall it.

Update: downloaded GDAK and the associated map files, with the GSAK queries file. Took a few minutes to get it all working together. I was expecting a map view with caches around my present location. That's not exactly what it presents. It's nice that it can swallow all 7,000 without choking. I'm going out tomorrow with it and my GPS to grab a few in the country, I'd like to see how the 2 compare.