Geocaching Intro app for iPhone 2.5 and Android 2.1

nkroy

Here are the release notes for the Free intro app that was just published in the store

. New: You can now pan the map and geocaches will automatically load.

. Also new: Search any location around the world to see traditional geocaches in that area.

. Of course: Various bug fixes

. Wishful: Pirate Mode

Something to wish for.

That's for the like 100 accounts I have seen over the years with Pirate based usernames, who talk like a Pirate in their cache logs. So apparently in a future release, the app will convert your log to Pirate talk. Which of course is useless, because no one has ever posted a log longer than 3 words via the intro app. :ph34r:

Something to wish for.

That's for the like 100 accounts I have seen over the years with Pirate based usernames, who talk like a Pirate in their cache logs. So apparently in a future release, the app will convert your log to Pirate talk. Which of course is useless, because no one has ever posted a log longer than 3 words via the intro app. :ph34r:

What are you talking about? "That's one more find for me! Thanks so much for hiding this geocache." is 13 words! 14 if you expand the contraction!

Heck, even "I found this geocache using the Geocaching Intro App. TFTC!" is 9 and an acronym!

:laughing:

Something to wish for.

What are you talking about? "That's one more find for me! Thanks so much for hiding this geocache." is 13 words! 14 if you expand the contraction!

Heck, even "I found this geocache using the Geocaching Intro App. TFTC!" is 9 and an acronym!

Apparently, the "that's one more find for me" text is long gone, although they've never announced it publicly.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Something to wish for.

Apparently, the "that's one more find for me" text is long gone, although they've never announced it publicly.

Oh Snap! That's gone?? Now no one will understand my signature!

Is there still a cut-and-paste log for the intro app?

No text* But does say:

Nice find! Now use this space to share your story and say thanks to the geocache creator. Pro tip: Try not to leave any spoilers in your log!

* There IS text, but it's that sort that doesn't get sent!

Something to wish for.

Someone in a thread in Geocaching topics discovered it a couple weeks ago. I don't feel like looking (but maybe I'll post again in a few days), but the last offending "that's one more find for me" log I can remember seeing was around late June.

Maybe the app could just randomly insert one of 10-20 different phrases... "What a great cache!", "Found another one!", "Using the smartphone app to go geocaching!", "That was fun!", "Wow - what a great hobby!". Then they wouldn't have to type at all!

You had to give them that, didn't you? Since the Intro Apps seem to be the only things getting regular enhancements these days, I expect this will show up within the next couple of updates. :blink:

Maybe the app could just randomly insert one of 10-20 different phrases...

Even better: Why not scrape real logs that real cachers took the time to write, shuffle them a little, and then repost? Combine it with GPS proximity, so that the "Found" log with scraped random text posts automatically once the IntroApp user is within 50ft of the cache coordinates. Oh snap, that would be awesome!

Maybe the app could just randomly insert one of 10-20 different phrases...

Even better: Why not scrape real logs that real cachers took the time to write, shuffle them a little, and then repost? Combine it with GPS proximity, so that the "Found" log with scraped random text posts automatically once the IntroApp user is within 50ft of the cache coordinates. Oh snap, that would be awesome!

Well, shoot. If it's gonna do that, it may as well grab some photos from other posts as well! And if the cache is part of a power trail, just go ahead and log the whole PT at once.

Maybe the app could just randomly insert one of 10-20 different phrases... "What a great cache!", "Found another one!", "Using the smartphone app to go geocaching!", "That was fun!", "Wow - what a great hobby!". Then they wouldn't have to type at all!

They already tried that, with pre entered text, that was modified once or twice. Apparently there were too many complaints, so I suppose we're stuck with "Tftc", "Found it", and "Nice one". Apparently the intro app users thumbing out more than three words isn't going to happen. :unsure:

They already tried that, with pre entered text, that was modified once or twice. Apparently there were too many complaints, so I suppose we're stuck with "Tftc", "Found it", and "Nice one". Apparently the intro app users thumbing out more than three words isn't going to happen. :unsure:
I kinda like the idea of something like "I posted the default log message rather than describe my experience finding this geocache."

But maybe that's just me.

I kinda like the idea of something like "I posted the default log message rather than describe my experience finding this geocache."

But maybe that's just me.

How about replacing the "describe your experience finding this geocache" Text with "Please describe your experience finding this geocache using, at the minimum, one coherent sentence." Yeah, that won't happen, but I can dream. Just like I can dream of Pirate Mode for the 100+ Geocachers I've seen over the years who have Pirate based usernames, and talk like a Pirate in their logs. Arrghh, Matey's. :blink:

Apparently there were too many complaints, so I suppose we're stuck with "Tftc", "Found it", and "Nice one". Apparently the intro app users thumbing out more than three words isn't going to happen. :unsure:

It's even worse now. I received a log over the weekend with the following content:

That's right, nothing at all. I checked the source code on the page, and there isn't even a space or anything. It's just plain blank. <_<

Apparently there were too many complaints, so I suppose we're stuck with "Tftc", "Found it", and "Nice one". Apparently the intro app users thumbing out more than three words isn't going to happen. :unsure:

It's even worse now. I received a log over the weekend with the following content:

That's right, nothing at all. I checked the source code on the page, and there isn't even a space or anything. It's just plain blank. <_<

Hmm. You were probably around when we complained about that when all the official apps were brand new, and people could enter totally blank logs (and boy, did they). So you're sure you can tell it's not even a spacebar log from the source? And perhaps it's not from the intro app at all, but from a third party app. And not necessarily the evil entity that shall not be named.