Pocket Query Question

QMaze

I've been away for a bit and created a few new queries and have never experienced this issue. After creating the caches, one local an one in another state/province but when I preview the query it is basically using my profile location as its reference on the map, don't get it. I'm checking to use a certain Postal/Zip code. so for instance I'm using Gladwin, MI zip code as my location but it still previews my coordinates from my profile. Confused and this has never been the case. It even appears to be ignoring my cache limit number.

I must be missing something.

I spoof logged in as you and see that your PQs are returning no results. This is because you have selected conflicting criteria in the form - you have both "I haven't found" and "I have found" checked (you can only have found a cache or not found a cache, not both), Because there are no results, the map can only display its default, which is centered on your home coordinates and showing all caches.

You will want to remove one of the checks (likely on the "I have found" box) and re-run your PQs.

I spoof logged in as you and see that your PQs are returning no results. This is because you have selected conflicting criteria in the form - you have both "I haven't found" and "I have found" checked (you can only have found a cache or not found a cache, not both), Because there are no results, the map can only display its default, which is centered on your home coordinates and showing all caches.

You will want to remove one of the checks (likely on the "I have found" box) and re-run your PQs.

For laughs, if possible, you should hard-code for this contingency. If both boxes are checked, return the user's DNFS

:-)

I have a similar issue that needs a different solution.

If I create a NEW PQ and do not select anything, except "My Home Location" it gives 500 results. As expected.

If the only thing I change is home location to postal code, then enter my home postal code in the format H0H 0H0, it results in error: "The postal code was not found in our database". I tried other postal codes too.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Edited by Gui1973

I have a similar issue that needs a different solution.

If I create a NEW PQ and do not select anything, except "My Home Location" it gives 500 results. As expected.

If the only thing I change is home location to postal code, then enter my home postal code in the format H0H 0H0, it results in error: "The postal code was not found in our database". I tried other postal codes too.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

The system does, at times, struggle with post codes/zip codes.

That's too bad. And strange as the "free" search by postal code works flawless. Without this I don't think I'll be sticking with my premium membership.

What would be awesome is being able to search using a map... scroll around to where you want then click on the search center point. Sure beats having to find postal codes, coordinates, etc.

That's too bad. And strange as the "free" search by postal code works flawless. Without this I don't think I'll be sticking with my premium membership.

What would be awesome is being able to search using a map... scroll around to where you want then click on the search center point. Sure beats having to find postal codes, coordinates, etc.

It's there!

On your profile page, scroll down to the Search Options click on the View_Map.png

If there are no options, click on the little triangle on the left of the map (it tucks away!) to reveal them. Also gives a Search option.

Zoom in/out move around, then click on Create PQ.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

It's there!

On your profile page, scroll down to the Search Options click on the View_Map.png

If there are no options, click on the little triangle on the left of the map (it tucks away!) to reveal them. Also gives a Search option.

Zoom in/out move around, then click on Create PQ.

Note: if you try this and think you are getting no results, just wait a bit longer. Sometimes it takes a few for the caches to show up.

Well how about that! There it is and it works perfect! Thank you, the buggy postal code issue is not such a big deal anymore!

Yep. The ability to create a pocket query using the map is very useful.

Just as a point of clarification; when searching by postal code, what's actually happening is that the value entered into the form is sent to an external geocoding service (and they use more than one service). The service returns a set of lat/long coordinates (assuming that it can find a match) that the are then used to search the Groundspeak database. The geocoding services are not owned or managed by Groundspeak. The same services are used for place name lookups as well and there have been occasions when lookups by city names fail as well. By the way, one of the most commonly used geocoding services used on the net is basically developed and managed by one person.

One way to do that is to find a cache in the center of the area you want. Copy the GC code number and paste it in the appropriate box in the "From Origin" section of the PQ page. It's a few more steps than just clicking in the map, but it's easier than recording the coords and entering them. And the PQ can be saved and re-run whenever you want.