did not find :-(

Do I have to see the inside of a container to count as a visit? But a earth cash or a virtual could or would count?

Not sure near you, but in my area someone checks and your signatures not in the log, your "find" gets deleted.

- That's one of the basic guidelines in geocaching.

Virtuals and Earthcaches aren't under the same log requirements, but have their own ways of claiming a find (often answering a question).

I logged did not find. But my question is do I log the trackable as visiting.

Depends who owns the trackable. Technically since the cache isn't there-or at least you didn't find it, how can it visit the cache? Think of it like a mall-you aren't shopping in the mall if you're near it, you're shopping in the mall if you're in the mall. For that reason I wouldn't log a trackable I found, into a cache/visiting a cache that I never actually found. My personal trackables, I can't see anything wrong with that. I don't intentionally-although I might do it out of habit occasionally. It's MY trackable, so I can as I wish with it.

The oddest trend is for someone to pick up a trackable, hold on to it for several months, but dip it into every cache they visit. Is the trackable really visiting every cache for a full second, and then being pulled out? :rolleyes: What the heck is the point of this? The trackable is not actually going anywhere, and it's page is getting filled with nonsensical notes.

You "can" as in "are able to" log a trackable at a DNF, and I may in fact get a TB to log my "personal DNF miles" now that you mention it. There are some farther away DNF's that I won't get back to, so it would be kind of cool to have it for that or for those multiple-return-trip DNF's.

But, if it is somebody else's trackable... I wouldn't log it as visiting a DNF unless it's just a really cool location anyway and especially if you can give pictures.

Its my own trackable. I use it to log miles I've been. Some day I might turn it loose. But I understand it might be a grey area when it comes to someone else's trackable. I try not to hold someone else's tb to long.

If its a personal trackable to log the actual miles youve traveled it makes sense. Someone else's trackable that you are not really moving anywhere? No gray area there at all, its just plain weird and silly. There's a coin on my watch list with 4 pages of dip notes from someone who probably has it stored in a coin folder.

Its my own trackable. I use it to log miles I've been. Some day I might turn it loose. But I understand it might be a grey area when it comes to someone else's trackable. I try not to hold someone else's tb to long.

If its a personal trackable to log the actual miles youve traveled it makes sense. Someone else's trackable that you are not really moving anywhere? No gray area there at all, its just plain weird and silly. There's a coin on my watch list with 4 pages of dip notes from someone who probably has it stored in a coin folder.

I think that's a different topic, is it ok to dip a trackable if you don't have it with you at the cache.

I assumed the OP took the trackable to the cache, hence the trackable travelled the milage.

Edited by Roman!

I have a trackable that visits DNFs - It's called "It Happens" and it's a DNF frowny face geocoin.

I'm a bit lazy and don't log all my DNFs, maybe half but this would be a great way of seeing how much time and gas was wasted compared to a perfect world.neat idea, if I has a geocoin like that I'd log all my DNFs.

Why don't you concentrate on finding a cache to drop that trackable into? After all, this is how the trackable game is supposed to work. I honestly wish that Groundspeak would abolish the "Visit" log.

Although I never have, a trackables main stat is mileage and as the trackable did make it to GZ of the cache it did travel the mileage so IMHO I'd say it us ok to log the trackable as visiting the cache.

How can it visit a cache that may not even exist?

Why don't you concentrate on finding a cache to drop that trackable into? After all, this is how the trackable game is supposed to work. I honestly wish that Groundspeak would abolish the "Visit" log.

As I read later. it's your trackable, so you can really do whatever you want with it. I made the false assumption that it was someone elses TB.

Edited by Don_J

Although I never have, a trackables main stat is mileage and as the trackable did make it to GZ of the cache it did travel the mileage so IMHO I'd say it us ok to log the trackable as visiting the cache.

How can it visit a cache that may not even exist?

Trackables log mileage and as log as the trackable visited GZ it logged the milage, that's my opinion.

The oddest trend is for someone to pick up a trackable, hold on to it for several months, but dip it into every cache they visit. Is the trackable really visiting every cache for a full second, and then being pulled out? :rolleyes: What the heck is the point of this? The trackable is not actually going anywhere, and it's page is getting filled with nonsensical notes.

+1

I have a trackable that visits DNFs - It's called "It Happens" and it's a DNF frowny face geocoin.

+1

When I first got a trackable I got nervous. So I was logging the visits to show the owner that I did indeed have the trackable and was trying to find an appropriate spot for it. Also I thought that it got miles for it. I wasn't aware, at the time, that I was spamming someones inbox.

Unfortunately all of the trackables that I have moved seem to disappear after I place them in a cache. <_< Doesn't look very good for me.

And the practice could actually keep the Traveler from reaching its goal.

When I first got a trackable I got nervous. So I was logging the visits to show the owner that I did indeed have the trackable and was trying to find an appropriate spot for it. Also I thought that it got miles for it. I wasn't aware, at the time, that I was spamming someones inbox.

Actually, for clarification -- they do get the mileage from visits, so if mileage is their goal, then you are helping.

Visits do not send a notfication, so it is not spamming someone's inbox. But the page for the bug can get very boring it is just visits and no logs, pictures, contents.