Unknown/Puzzle caches

Hello,

I'm not new to GCing, but I've always done traditional caches. I've decided to try different ones, but I'm lost when it comes to the puzzle caches, and I'm missing something but I don't know what.

An example is this cache: [puzzle cache name and link removed by moderator]

There's a description with the picture, then a box that says "check your solution online." What solution am I checking? How do I get a solution?

Thanks!

Edited by Keystone

The "checker" is to check if the coordinates you come up with are correct. It's a really nice feature on puzzle caches so that you don't wind up wandering the woods at the completely wrong location.

At a really quick glance I would guess the solution has something to do with counting the number of this-color-things for each digit of the coordinates.

Edited by etarace

i can't guess at the number of times people have asked how to solve a specific puzzle, to be told that it is bad form and against the terms of use. If you do a search of the forums, you can find out for yourself.

It's usually best if you ask the cache owner for a hint, rather than having the possibility of how to solve the puzzle posted on a public forum.

I can't get the cache page to load right now, but it sounds like that cache has a link to an online coordinates checker. I finally got the cache page to open.....it's a link. Once you've figured out some coordinates, you can click it to find out if you are correct.

With a lot of puzzles, using Google can be a big help.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

This is niraD's stock answer to questions about puzzle caches. It should be made a sticky.

According to section 2-D of the geocaching.com terms of use, "You agree not to: [...] xxiii. Publish on our websites the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the geocache owner.” However, here are some general puzzle tips (based in part on a puzzle-solving class event presented by The Rat a while ago):

Identify the theme. Check the cache title, the hint, the HTML source, the graphics (including names/URLs), any links (including URLs), whatever is at the posted coordinates, etc. If you can figure out the theme, then you should look for numbering systems that are associated with that theme (zip codes, athletes’ jersey numbers, episode numbers, product codes, etc.).

Around here, coordinates will have 15 digits, and will look like "N 37° xx.xxx W 122° xx.xxx". So when I'm solving a nearby puzzle, I look for a group of 15 things, and then I look for ways to get the digits 37xxxxx122xxxxx from them. In general, I look for ways to get the number 37 (or the digits 3 and 7) from something near the beginning of the puzzle, and the number 122 (or the digits 1, 2, and 2) from something near the middle of the puzzle. (Of course, you'll need to adjust this for the coordinates near you.)

Other useful resources include:

Puzzle Solving 101 Series (bookmark list)

Puzzle Shortcuts Series (bookmark list)

Solving Puzzle Caches (online article)

How Do I Solve All These $@! Puzzle Caches? (tutorial-style puzzle cache)

Puzzle FUNdamentals (archived event cache) and the Puzzle FUNdamentals resources on the GeocacheAlaska! education page

The GBA's Puzzle Cache FAQ (for puzzle designers, but useful for understanding how puzzle caches work)

If you’re interested in extremely challenging puzzles, then consider the online discussions of Venona’s ACTIVITIES in the GBA forums. The puzzles for this annual event are very challenging, intended to be solved by multiple people working together online. (You'll need to register on the GBA site to view these forum threads.)

Overview: Venona's 2011 ACTIVITIES

Overview: Venona's 2012 ACTIVITIES

B.

Seriously? I knew how that puzzle worked just from the title you gave. Look at the rainbows, and think about the cache title.

Yup, the type of puzzle was immediately obvious, and the way to solve it was as well.

As I said.......Google is a good place to start.

B.

Seriously? I knew how that puzzle worked just from the title you gave. Look at the rainbows, and think about the cache title.

Seriously? I haven't even seen the name of the cache, but simply hearing that it has something to do with "rainbows", and knowing what kinds of puzzles other people have asked for help with in the past, I have a pretty good idea of how to solve it. :laughing:

...heck, I could even take a stab at guessing the cache's name! "Resistance is Futile"?

Edited by The A-Team

i can't guess at the number of times people have asked how to solve a specific puzzle, to be told that it is bad form and against the terms of use. If you do a search of the forums, you can find out for yourself.

It's usually best if you ask the cache owner for a hint, rather than having the possibility of how to solve the puzzle posted on a public forum.

I can't get the cache page to load right now, but it sounds like that cache has a link to an online coordinates checker. I finally got the cache page to open.....it's a link. Once you've figured out some coordinates, you can click it to find out if you are correct.

With a lot of puzzles, using Google can be a big help.

B.

My apologies, I wasn't actually asking for help with THAT specific puzzle, it was just an example what I didn't understand. It was my first post to the forum, and I did a quick search, but didn't find anything specific to what I was asking. I'm a solo cacher, so I have no one else to ask about this.

Ok, a coordinate checker, and I have to figure out the coords, and use Google. Thank you, that helps get me started.

I apologize again for posting the cache info.

This is niraD's stock answer to questions about puzzle caches. It should be made a sticky.

According to section 2-D of the geocaching.com terms of use, "You agree not to: [...] xxiii. Publish on our websites the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the geocache owner.” However, here are some general puzzle tips (based in part on a puzzle-solving class event presented by The Rat a while ago):

Identify the theme. Check the cache title, the hint, the HTML source, the graphics (including names/URLs), any links (including URLs), whatever is at the posted coordinates, etc. If you can figure out the theme, then you should look for numbering systems that are associated with that theme (zip codes, athletes’ jersey numbers, episode numbers, product codes, etc.).

Around here, coordinates will have 15 digits, and will look like "N 37° xx.xxx W 122° xx.xxx". So when I'm solving a nearby puzzle, I look for a group of 15 things, and then I look for ways to get the digits 37xxxxx122xxxxx from them. In general, I look for ways to get the number 37 (or the digits 3 and 7) from something near the beginning of the puzzle, and the number 122 (or the digits 1, 2, and 2) from something near the middle of the puzzle. (Of course, you'll need to adjust this for the coordinates near you.)

Other useful resources include:

Puzzle Solving 101 Series (bookmark list)

Puzzle Shortcuts Series (bookmark list)

Solving Puzzle Caches (online article)

How Do I Solve All These $@! Puzzle Caches? (tutorial-style puzzle cache)

Puzzle FUNdamentals (archived event cache) and the Puzzle FUNdamentals resources on the GeocacheAlaska! education page

The GBA's Puzzle Cache FAQ (for puzzle designers, but useful for understanding how puzzle caches work)

If you’re interested in extremely challenging puzzles, then consider the online discussions of Venona’s ACTIVITIES in the GBA forums. The puzzles for this annual event are very challenging, intended to be solved by multiple people working together online. (You'll need to register on the GBA site to view these forum threads.)

Overview: Venona's 2011 ACTIVITIES

Overview: Venona's 2012 ACTIVITIES

B.

Thank you. And again, I apologize for posting that.

How do I get a solution?

By solving the puzzle....That's the point of a puzzle. Now follow the advice given by others....

Thanks for stating the obvious. I clearly know I need to solve it, but until I read other posts, I had no idea it had to do with coords, or where to start.

Like has been said, Google is a great tool. Wikipedia can also be a big help. Think about the title, how it goes with the description, how the picture and title could be related, etc. Look for anything in the description that seems to be worded a little strangely or awkwardly. Sometimes simply clicking on the picture can help you out.

One trick that fooled me once was what's referred to as "white text". Hold the mouse button and swipe down the description to select all the text, and see if anything shows up that wasn't there before. Just one of many possibilities.

As has also been said, an email to the owner can be helpful. I've gotten help a few times that way.

Once you've solved a few puzzles, it seems to become a little easier.

Seriously? I haven't even seen the name of the cache, but simply hearing that it has something to do with "rainbows", and knowing what kinds of puzzles other people have asked for help with in the past, I have a pretty good idea of how to solve it. :laughing:

...heck, I could even take a stab at guessing the cache's name! "Resistance is Futile"?

Again, seriously. I'm glad you also know how to solve it, but I was asking to learn how to solve these puzzles myself. i.e. Where to start, what the "check your solution" thing was, etc.

Like has been said, Google is a great tool. Wikipedia can also be a big help. Think about the title, how it goes with the description, how the picture and title could be related, etc. Look for anything in the description that seems to be worded a little strangely or awkwardly. Sometimes simply clicking on the picture can help you out.

One trick that fooled me once was what's referred to as "white text". Hold the mouse button and swipe down the description to select all the text, and see if anything shows up that wasn't there before. Just one of many possibilities.

As has also been said, an email to the owner can be helpful. I've gotten help a few times that way.

Once you've solved a few puzzles, it seems to become a little easier.

THANK YOU!!! That's what I was asking for; a place to start and what things a new cacher would miss. THANK YOU!

NiraD's links are pretty good. It's good to know that the final coordinates for the puzzle will usually be within 2-3km of the listed coordinates on the cache page. Kacher82 is correct in that the more puzzles you do, the better you'll get at it. In the meantime, feel free to ask the cache owner for help. If they don't respond, try emailing a recent finder. I'm sure they will be happy to help.

My apologies, I wasn't actually asking for help with THAT specific puzzle, it was just an example what I didn't understand. It was my first post to the forum, and I did a quick search, but didn't find anything specific to what I was asking. I'm a solo cacher, so I have no one else to ask about this.

Ok, a coordinate checker, and I have to figure out the coords, and use Google. Thank you, that helps get me started.

I apologize again for posting the cache info.

Don't apologize, you were just asking around. I think people can be a little jumpy about spoilers sometimes. :P

NiraD's links are pretty good. It's good to know that the final coordinates for the puzzle will usually be within 2-3km of the listed coordinates on the cache page. Kacher82 is correct in that the more puzzles you do, the better you'll get at it. In the meantime, feel free to ask the cache owner for help. If they don't respond, try emailing a recent finder. I'm sure they will be happy to help.

Thank you. :)

One trick that fooled me once was what's referred to as "white text". Hold the mouse button and swipe down the description to select all the text, and see if anything shows up that wasn't there before.

This is always my first step when looking at a new puzzle. I used it in one of mine and had to explain to a couple people how to "see" the hidden text.

One thing I was told was that when using a smart phone, the text still doesn't show up. Can anyone confirm this?

One trick that fooled me once was what's referred to as "white text". Hold the mouse button and swipe down the description to select all the text, and see if anything shows up that wasn't there before.

This is always my first step when looking at a new puzzle. I used it in one of mine and had to explain to a couple people how to "see" the hidden text.

One thing I was told was that when using a smart phone, the text still doesn't show up. Can anyone confirm this?

For me on an iPhone, safari shows one of the numbers and when I select the rest of the area it shows placeholders for the rest but doesn't show the numbers. It does copy and paste them all.

The Groundspeak app shows more of the numbers with the copy and paste working like it does in Safari.

Interesting puzzle! TFTP! :)

A bit of warning here. There are several different solution checkers out there. I think they all check coordinates, but some can also check other things. The most popular around where I live is certitudes.org. It allows the solution to be a "keyword", i.e. any text. If you click on a certitudes link, it will tell you whether it expects coordinates or a keyword. Also, note that some cache pages have obsolete checkers on them. They will take you to a dead link, or just lock up trying to access a page and returning a message that it is "waiting for..." This is true for certitudes, which used to be hosted on another server. The checker still exists on the new server, but the CO may not have updated the link on the cache page. Don't get discouraged if you hit one of those. There are other ways to check a solution, too, like a checksum given on the cache page, or by checking the distances. Except for some legacy puzzles, the final is supposed to be within 2 miles of the posted coordinates and not within 1/10 mi. of another cache (or physical stage of a multi).

For me on an iPhone, safari shows one of the numbers and when I select the rest of the area it shows placeholders for the rest but doesn't show the numbers. It does copy and paste them all.

The Groundspeak app shows more of the numbers with the copy and paste working like it does in Safari.

Interesting puzzle! TFTP! :)

I guess I wasn't clear on what my question was, because your answer doesn't respond to my question, or if it does I don't understand the reference to "placeholders." I am referring to the cache page being white type on a white background, so that it looks like nothing is written there. When you hold down the left mouse button and scroll down the page, the text shows up as blue. On a computer. Bur I was told that there is no way to make the "white on white" text show up on a smart phone. Are we on the same page here?