FAST RESPONSE PLZ - Replacing someone else's cache

One of the caches near me has been muggled, I really like the placement of this cache and the stealth it would require to obtain and I want to replace it even though it is not my cache.

I have emailed the owner of this cache but they haven't been active for a long time so I've not got a reply

What do people think I should do?

I have a cache sat on my desk waiting for me to decide and I am hoping to sneak out to place it whilst it is dark

One of the caches near me has been muggled, I really like the placement of this cache and the stealth it would require to obtain and I want to replace it even though it is not my cache.

I have emailed the owner of this cache but they haven't been active for a long time so I've not got a reply

I have a cache sat on my desk waiting for me to decide and I am hoping to sneak out to place it whilst it is dark

DON'T do it!

Post Needs Maintenance (If there isn't one already) to warn others.

You may even have to post a Needs Archived, if the cache owner takes no action...

Be ready to post your own cache if/when this one gets Archived.

That way the cache will have an active owner, who can do any required maintenance AND post details on the cache page. :)

I think it's a bad, bad, bad idea to put a container out for something that does not belong to you.

Post a Needs Maintenance, then a Needs Archived.

Keep it on your watchlist and if it gets archived, place your own cache there. Send it for Review, and see if it gets published.

B.

I'd recommend writing up a new listing using the current coordinates of the existing cache. This way you are effectively reserving the location for future placement. Then posting a Needs Archive on the existing cache. As soon as the cache gets archived. Place your own container and submit your new listing.

Don't replace the cache for an inactive owner. It'll only continue to have unaddressed problems in the future.

ok, thanks for your help!

CO hasn't logged anything since 02/13 so this may stay as an un-findable, un-archived

:sad: :sad: :sad:

No need for sad faces, you've been given suggestions to log an NM or an NA the placing your own.

Caches have a life span, this one is at the end of its. Let it die in peace.

It's not your cache, the CO is not contactable...

What you would be doing is a "Throwdown" cache... (Even if you dont claim a Found on it)

The guidelines say:

A throwdown is when a geocacher places a new geocache container when the previous geocache is missing or cannot be found. Throwdowns are placed so the geocacher can log a find on a geocache that they couldn't find and suspect is missing. Geocaches should never be replaced without the permission of the geocache owner as this frequently leads to multiple containers at the location and disputes about whether you found the "real" container and are entitled to log a find.

Our policy is that geocache owners are responsible for maintenance, so as soon as they are aware of throwdowns, the physical geocache should be checked and if it is still there, the throwdown geocache should be removed. If this is not done, there will be no way for geocachers to be sure they are finding the correct geocache container. If subsequent find logs indicate multiple or inconsistent containers, it can often be a sign that a maintenance visit by the geocache owner has not taken place. In these cases, it is reasonable for the geocache owner to allow finds of the throwdown to be logged online as found because the finder generally cannot determine whether they found a throwdown instead of the original container. The original geocacher who placed the throwdown does not have a strong claim to log the geocache online as found.

Thanks Bear and Ragged, that makes it extremely simple!!

I'll log a NM and see where it takes me

Add the Needs Maintenance.

Then add the cache to your Watch List.

Then you will get a copy of each log on the cache.

Which, if the CO is absent, will be a reviewer Temporary Disabling the cache, with a note the CO to take some action within a certain time period.

Next stage is the reviewer Archiving the cache.

At that point you can submit yours.

I'd recommend writing up a new listing using the current coordinates of the existing cache. This way you are effectively reserving the location for future placement. Then posting a Needs Archive on the existing cache. As soon as the cache gets archived. Place your own container and submit your new listing.

Don't replace the cache for an inactive owner. It'll only continue to have unaddressed problems in the future.

Best advice. If you really like the location, write up a cache page now. Start with a Needs Maintenance, then followed up by a Needs Archive. Sometimes I'll just skip straight to a Needs Archive if the cache owner hasn't logged on in years and there's only 1 place the cache can be and is obviously missing.

ok, thanks for your help!

CO hasn't logged anything since 02/13 so this may stay as an un-findable, un-archived

:sad: :sad: :sad:

So don't be surprised if the CO takes care of it. I've seen a number of hides by owners who either rarely cache anymore, or don't log the caches they do find, but still take care of their hides.

Give them a chance.

I would replace it.....just replaced a cache last week at a great location ( it didn't have an absent owner though )....he emailed me yesterday thanking me for the help. By replacing it there is immediately a cache to be found, probably by dozens of cachers over the next few years, and all the NM,NA,re listing red tape is avoided. If its really important to you to have your name listed as cache owner , and that's perfectly fine,then I would say proceed with getting it archived.

I would replace it.....just replaced a cache last week at a great location ( it didn't have an absent owner though )....he emailed me yesterday thanking me for the help. By replacing it there is immediately a cache to be found, probably by dozens of cachers over the next few years, and all the NM,NA,re listing red tape is avoided. If its really important to you to have your name listed as cache owner , and that's perfectly fine,then I would say proceed with getting it archived.

The OP didn't come off like he wanted to have his name on the cache. Sounded like he thought it was a nice cache and simply wanted to help out a fellow cacher.

I definitely agree with the majority here in saying not to put out a throwdown. If the original CO wants it to keep going, then he can make arrangements to maintain it. To the OP, post a NM if you have actually looked for the cache. This may prod the original owner into taking action. Keep an eye on the cache and if nothing happens in a month or two, log the NA.