Do I need Premium Membership and the paid app on iphone

Angmoh

I've been a premium member for a couple of years, using a garmin, and my membership is due for renewal. I'm now an iphone user and was wondering about purchasing the full app for my phone as I don't always have my garmin with me but am always carrying my phone.

My question is....if I purchase the full app, will I also need to renew my premium membership in order to see the premium only caches?

I definitely want to continue to get the benefits of premium membership and am happy to pay but just want to make sure I'm not paying twice, as it were!

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by Angmoh

The paid app allows you to see caches (except premium ones unless you are a premium member)and get all logs, hints, descriptions, etc.

What I find odd is that a $10 app gets you all the hints, descriptions, logs, etc. If you have a GPSr (that you likely paid a few hundred dollars for), you need to be a premium member to see the descriptions, hints, logs, etc. Kind of seems backwards to me. :(

The paid app allows you to see caches (except premium ones unless you are a premium member)and get all logs, hints, descriptions, etc.

What I find odd is that a $10 app gets you all the hints, descriptions, logs, etc. If you have a GPSr (that you likely paid a few hundred dollars for), you need to be a premium member to see the descriptions, hints, logs, etc. Kind of seems backwards to me. :(

Yep, that $10 app does a lot. It works better though with a $200+ phone and a data plan. Just how much are spare batteries for it?

In our attempt to avoid tunnel-vision, we use both. Many do. :)

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

No, you need the premium membership to download the that stuff to your GPS. Any member can see that info on the website. The app just logs onto the website. There's nothing stopping you from looking at the website from your phone as a basic member. And the (Groundspeak)app users DID pay, it's not like they are getting it for free....

No, you need the premium membership to download the that stuff to your GPS. Any member can see that info on the website. The app just logs onto the website. There's nothing stopping you from looking at the website from your phone as a basic member. And the (Groundspeak)app users DID pay, it's not like they are getting it for free....

That is exactly what I said in my initial post.

The point I was making is that a $10 app on your phone (most everyone has a smart phone these days and I did buy the app)gets you access to more information than in buying a couple hundred dollar GPS ( I have a 62S) and a premium membership cost. Granted cell phone battery life is generally poor and reception can be spotty. I'll become a premium member soon too, I wasn't knocking it. Just pointing out that for less expense in an app you can get more info which I seem to find backwards is all.

That is exactly what I said in my initial post.

The point I was making is that a $10 app on your phone (most everyone has a smart phone these days and I did buy the app)gets you access to more information than in buying a couple hundred dollar GPS ( I have a 62S) and a premium membership cost. Granted cell phone battery life is generally poor and reception can be spotty. I'll become a premium member soon too, I wasn't knocking it. Just pointing out that for less expense in an app you can get more info which I seem to find backwards is all.

I'm not sure where you learned your math-saying that the $10 app gets you the same as the premium membership. For the $10 app, you get the hints, description, and logs.

For the $30/year, or $10/3 months you also get tat stuff on your GPS. BUT you also get PQ's cache notifications, the ability to place, and see premium member only caches, and satellite view maps. The PM enhances the app by allowing PQ's and PMO caches. Yes you have to buy a GPS, but if you have your phone, you're still paying for it.

...most everyone has a smart phone these days...

I wouldn't go quite so far as to say 'most'. Yes many do. Most? I dunno 'bout that.

Apparently you may be surprised that large numbers of folks resist getting a smart phone. There are goodly numbers that don't want a mobile at all.

Travel a bit.... and see if your assumptions hold true.

EDIT: added "smart"; +

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee