Deleting a log -> text field for the reason

alsterdrache

Hi team, hey Jon (you're the guy who reads everything in this section, I assume?),

I seldomly delete logs but have recently deleted several double logs. I recall that there used to be a pink text field that one could use for giving a short reason. This has vanished in the meantime. That's not good at all. Please consider reinventing it in order to avoid superfluous angry follow-up mails to me :anibad:

Thanks for listening, cheers, Alex

I don't know how many times I've suggested this and don't know why others thought it was a bad idea. On both sides. I had some of my logs deleted with no reason so I contacted the CO and it may take a long time for them to respond. I think it a waste of time to delete a log then send a separate message. When it could be done at the same time. It would be nice to require the CO to include a reason (log), if they don't say anything then they can't delete the log. If the log they include is bogus or makes no sense like "Like I felt like deleting it" then you have something to go to GS about.

I don't know how many times I've suggested this and don't know why others thought it was a bad idea. On both sides. I had some of my logs deleted with no reason so I contacted the CO and it may take a long time for them to respond. I think it a waste of time to delete a log then send a separate message. When it could be done at the same time. It would be nice to require the CO to include a reason (log), if they don't say anything then they can't delete the log. If the log they include is bogus or makes no sense like "Like I felt like deleting it" then you have something to go to GS about.

I think I've suggested having some pre-filled reasons you can select from a dropdown...such as "duplicate log" or "contains spoilers" or "inappropriate language". It would, in my opinion, limit abuse.

I actually just don't get why something so trivial and basic as text input for reason of log deletion hasn't been there from the very beginning. One doesn't have to be Einstein to imagine that in many cases a log deletion will launch an e-mail exchange between the CO and the affected cacher about why the CO has deleted that particular log. This "why" could already be included in the e-mail notifying cacher about the deletion and save the cache owner at least one initial e-mail explaining the reason.

It's nice to hear (read :) ) from Mount10Bike that the devs have it in their to-do list. Anyway, that may still take a looong time. :P

Oh, and it would be useful if the deleted log was included in the notifying e-mail. I may have logged more than once a single cache (Write notes, Needs maintenance etc.) and it the CO decided to delete some of my logs I sure would be curious about what was it that bothered him so much that he felt the need to delete it. And I do not lose my work if the log was longer.

I have one log deletion notice in my mailbox archive and the deleted log is not included.

Please just keep bumping this suggestion up the to-do list. I can't imagine a reason not to have this available. I have noticed a large increase in the number of logs that need deletion, usually by newbies that have double logged caches. Also have seen logs that are "Found It" logs but the text says they didn't find it. Even had one today that was a "Found It" log on a cache I archived almost 3 years ago.

Having a text field available at the time I issue the deletion notice would be a great timesaver. Please implement this simple suggestion.

I guess "proof" if deleted by others is the only reason this would work for us.

- Since most of our deletions are folks with unvalidated addresses, who wouldn't get the emails we normally send out, or the reasons, whatever the format would be.

The ability to add a reason for a log deletion would only be sensible, and courteous.
And given that the ability exists to add a reason for a photo deletion, you'd think that it would be relatively straight-forward to add the ability to add a reason for a log deletion.

Has anyone reported no longer being able to delete a log on a trackable item? I was just contacted by a trackable item owner stating that they can not delete an erroneous log on their TB page. I cannot duplicate this because I do not own any trackable items in my non-reviewer account.