Extra Caches at Train Stations

Whilst thinking of ways to help my trackables get further afield it dawned on me that having cache containers big enough to hold TBs next to each train station would certainly help.

You turn up at the local train station to go on a trip, arrive a few minutes early and think to yourself, lets do a quick cache hunt and see if we can find any TBs

However, the so called 'sidetracked' theme seems to have taken up practically all of the train station options around the UK meaning no more can be added close to the entrances.

I've looked into the caches placed near a number of stations and they all seem to vary in size but the number of micro caches easily out numbers the size big enough to carry TBs.

Does anyone else think its an opportunity missed to get TBs further afield just because the containers placed near train stations are too small?

I know there is a strict rule regarding caches placed next to existing caches but in the case of any Sidetracked themed cache, could there be an exception and larger containers placed close by just so that train users can pick up and drop off TBs with great ease?

Or even a rule stating Sidetracked caches must where physically possible be a size big enough to carry the average TB

Just a thought

I've looked into the caches placed near a number of stations and they all seem to vary in size but the number of micro caches easily out numbers the size big enough to carry TBs.

Does anyone else think its an opportunity missed to get TBs further afield just because the containers placed near train stations are too small?

I don't know about the train stations where you live, but around here, they're busy places. In busy places, cache containers large enough for trackables tend not to survive very long. Muggles discover them, or bomb squads blow them up, or something else happens to them and they're gone.

And then all those trackables are gone too.

One headache is the security issue related to placing stuff too close to stations. Iirc Network Rail have asked for caches not to be placed haven't they?

I'm not convinced placements by stations would necessarily encourage more movement of travel bugs to be honest. Not placing them in puzzle, challenge or really remote caches might help more.

So you're asking to change the guidelines for caches that are bigger? Well why not include bus stations? Airports. Hotels. Rest areas. Major highways. Restaurants popular with travelers. Where will it stop? Then there's the fact that trains are not a large form of transportation.

Whilst thinking of ways to help my trackables get further afield it dawned on me that having cache containers big enough to hold TBs next to each train station would certainly help.

You turn up at the local train station to go on a trip, arrive a few minutes early and think to yourself, lets do a quick cache hunt and see if we can find any TBs

However, the so called 'sidetracked' theme seems to have taken up practically all of the train station options around the UK meaning no more can be added close to the entrances.

I know there is a strict rule regarding caches placed next to existing caches but in the case of any Sidetracked themed cache, could there be an exception and larger containers placed close by just so that train users can pick up and drop off TBs with great ease?

Or even a rule stating Sidetracked caches must where physically possible be a size big enough to carry the average TB

Just a thought

Responding to the two bolded exceptions you're suggesting:

No.

Exception to the saturation guideline for size of container, and trying to dictate certain sizes for certain locations...just how much more aggravation do Reviewers need? :blink:

B.

Specific UK Guideline. National Rail (Who own most of the area around train stations) wont allow caches on their property.

And have asked for those that are to be removed, or get specific permission...

https://wiki.Groundspeak.com/display/GEO/United+Kingdom+Other+Land+Areas

Railway stations or railway property.

A popular location for caches is near railways stations and they are usually called 'Sidetracked' with the station name. A security situation in London resulted in a review of how caches are placed at or near railway stations. It has therefore been decided that caches placed in railway stations or on railway property must be done so with permission from the railway authorities or landowners concerned.

Not asking to change the guidelines for caches that are bigger.

Just wondering if, where caches that are placed at train stations that are too small to carry TBs, a second larger cache within the .1 can be placed.

I only mention train stations as in the UK they are actually a HUGE form of transportation.

Hotels, Rest areas, major highways and restaurants are too common but train stations and airports I think would be a great place to have larger containers making it easier for TBs to gain long distance.

All the time micros are placed near these methods of long distance travel with TBs in hand it prevents larger caches being placed which would be more effective.

If I got to a train station or an airport and had half an hour spare I would most certainly look for a large cache to see if there were any TBs to take with me. If the only cache nearby was a micro then I couldn't.

A no brainer if you ask me

Just wondering if, where caches that are placed at train stations that are too small to carry TBs, a second larger cache within the .1 can be placed.

That IS asking for a change to the guidelines, since two caches cannot be within .1 mile of each other.

The answer to your question is "no, not without a guidelines change."

And, it's a guideline change which I would argue against if discussed with the reviewers by Geocaching HQ.

My experience of the Sidetracked series is that, if it is possible to place a larger container then it has been done. Mainly small country stations with low traffic. Most of the stations I know, where a micro is placed have no suitable hiding place within 0.2 or 0.3 of a mile for a larger cache.

All the time micros are placed near these methods of long distance travel with TBs in hand it prevents larger caches being placed which would be more effective.
Yes and no.

Yes, an existing micro prevents anyone from listing another cache within 528ft/161m.

But no, what prevents there from being a cache larger than a micro is the location; nothing larger than a micro will survive at the location.

And for the record, I too would oppose special saturation guidelines that depend on the sizes and locations of caches.