Should I remain anonymous?

lulu,pops&ted

HI I am new!! I am no longer a muggle but I was up until Monday (25/3/14) night. Anyway I am a photographer and live my life and business online. I see most of us remain anonymous using our user name etc, but I would love to start a photography blog with my adventures, is it safe to do so? as it may link to my full name, which would then be easy to find my company (which might not be bad if any geochachers are getting married!)

Is there any other photographer on here who do something similar I would love to see your work!

Thanks

Lulu ;)

It's up to you. Some people like to remain anonymous. Others broadcast who they are all over the place, within the guidelines. Whether it's safe or not depends on whether you have any stalkers, enemies, or what have you. ;)

Each person's tolerance for internet anonymity will vary.

If you are going to start a blog your real name would be pretty much public anyway. Linking it to your caching name isn't going to reveal nearly as much as that. It is kind of funny though. My wife occassionally attends some of the caching functions and used to ask me what the real names were of my friends and was surprised when i said I don't know. I probably know the real name of about 6 of them.

Thanks so much for your feedback so far, her is the beginnings of the blog, what do you think? does it give too much away? I don't think so :) I am planning to take out a really nice film camera I have on each trip and shoot in film, gives me something different to do, than my day to day job shooting on digital! Oh and add some text etc to the blog its a bit bare at the mo.

http://lulupopsted.wordpress.com/

That's some beautiful work dude, my wife is getting into photography so hopefully she can show some pictures of our adventures as well.

The thing I like about this hobby is you can bring your other hobbies into it. I'm in the process of creating a cache based on my interests in Progressive Rock music, my wife as stated loves photography and geocaching is a great way to get outdoors.

Taking pictures of the general area is fine IMO, just as others have said don't post spoilers! I've seen many-a-photo of Geokids up to Geograndparents crowding around a cache once found and enjoying the swag, so there's no real limit outside photographing the hide itself

Thanks so much for your feedback so far, her is the beginnings of the blog, what do you think? does it give too much away? I don't think so :) I am planning to take out a really nice film camera I have on each trip and shoot in film, gives me something different to do, than my day to day job shooting on digital! Oh and add some text etc to the blog its a bit bare at the mo.

Just remember to put some of the write-up and photos on the cache page, don't just leave your log as "TFTC. Read my blog here."

And don't post too much of how/where the cache is hidden and identify the cache, thus making your blog a 'spoiler'

Also, be aware photos from a phone, and GPS's that take photos, can include the coordinates, which can be a spoiler if you take photos at the final location of a multi-cache or Unknown cache.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

That's some beautiful work dude, my wife is getting into photography so hopefully she can show some pictures of our adventures as well.

The thing I like about this hobby is you can bring your other hobbies into it. I'm in the process of creating a cache based on my interests in Progressive Rock music, my wife as stated loves photography and geocaching is a great way to get outdoors.

Taking pictures of the general area is fine IMO, just as others have said don't post spoilers! I've seen many-a-photo of Geokids up to Geograndparents crowding around a cache once found and enjoying the swag, so there's no real limit outside photographing the hide itself

yay its really fun, photography is great, my tip is dont worry to much about the tech, the best camera is the one you have with you!

Edited by lulu,pops&ted

Just remember to put some of the write-up and photos on the cache page, don't just leave your log as "TFTC. Read my blog here."

And don't post too much of how/where the cache is hidden and identify the cache, thus making your blog a 'spoiler'

Also, be aware photos from a phone, and GPS's that take photos, can include the coordinates, which can be a spoiler if you take photos at the final location of a multi-cache or Unknown cache.

Oh gosh good point about the location on the image! technology hey! I will edit the metadata before blogging and remove it :)

It's really up to you and your sense of privacy.

I've had a photo website in one form or another since 1998, using my real name. It's not really a geocaching blog, though many photos were taken during cache hunts or between finds on caching expeditions, and I often upload photos both to the site and to cache logs. I link to that site via my geocaching profile (and my forum signature), so while I don't throw out my full name all that often, I don't go out of my way to hide it.