Geocaching in Illinois- What is in the future for 2003?

Itchy and Scratchy

I was inquiring about placing a cache in the Makinaw area. I was given the email address of someone that could answer my request. After a few days an individual replied and stated that "they had trouble with a cache placement in the Makinaw area before and could not honor my request at this time." He also stated that the State-wide policy was in the works. I didn't want to ask any him any more questions at the time since it didn't seem that he was a big fan of geocaching. I will contact him again at the end of the month. Hopefully they wont ban it all together. I don't want to post his email here but if someone else wants to inquire and state some of the positive aspects of geocaching to him, email me and I will give you his email address.

Off topic. I will place some more Simsons figurines as soon as all of this holiday stuff is finally over. I have Bart and a few more to place.

I just checked the Illinois DNR website, I guess this would affect State Parks, Conservation areas, and Nature Preserves. There is a link to their Strategic Plan for 2003-2008. I'm going to look at it later if I get the time. It looks like there are some contact numbers for the Administration as well.

Here is the latest from the DNR. Looks like end of summer now before they will have a statewide policy. Still no details available.

Quoting the park admin email:

"Thanks for your inquiry on geocaching at IL state parks. We are currently drafting a statewide policy to cover this new activity in our parks. We have had a few negative experiences with this activity -

one where the cache was left in an old ammunition box which frightened some

visitors and led to the authorities being called. Others where the cache was left in restricted areas where access was only allowed by

persons with a permit.

We recognize geocaching as a growing and popular recreational pursuit. Our new policy will probably require the person leaving the cache to

check with the site manager first before placing it on the area. We hope to have the policy in place by early this summer."

I talked to my friend today who is chief legal council for DNR. He said they will not be prohibiting geocaching. In fact, there's been some discussion as to its benefits. Geocaching will bring more people into the state parks/areas. Some of the issues tho involve "trash" geocachers who bushwhack and destroy vegitation and property. If it's banned it's because we (geocachers) destroyed our opportunity.

Any policy will require the sign off by the director of DNR. With the new governor there will be a new director.

With the changing of the 'guard' in Illinois, don't be surprised by any surprises. Anyone who's ever had a new boss come in, knows that the new guy will try to make noise, and justify his job. This has nothing to do with any particular political persuasion, just human nature. The ones who are insecure in their new authority are usually the worst(Barney Fife?). I once read or heard that Illinois has more governmental bodies(county, city, township, sanitary dist., etc.)than any other state. Most of these won't change, but who knows?

Yes, it appears that the Illinois DNR is making policy for geocaching in the state parks. Geemack asked to put a cache in at the Rock Island Trail State Park and after meeting the "regs" was granted permission - see Chimps Tale.

"Hello All...

About a month ago I contacted the Site Superintendent at the Rock Island

State Trail regarding permission to hide a cache in an area along that

trail. I talked with a gentleman named Jason, Site Superintendent for the

Rock Island Trail as well as Acting Site Superintendent for Jubilee College

State Park. My request for permission came when the subject of geocaching

was being considered at various levels in the Illinois state parks system.

I sent Jason some information regarding the geocaching sport/hobby in

general, and regarding my request for placing a specific cache. After a few

rounds of communication with his superiors, Jason got back with me to

provide some excellent information about their current and future policy

about geocaching on those premises.

For the time being (nothing carved in stone, of course), it appears the

geocaching activity is being looked upon very favorably throughout the

Illinois state park administration system. Some of their common concerns

have been addressed by information on the geocaching.com web site, and some

by way of a letter I sent to Jason. (A copy of that text available to anyone

interested). They do, however, have some stipulations that may change a

couple of the caches currently located in Jubilee State Park and along the

Rock Island Trail.

I have been asked to forward this request to those of you who currently

manage caches hidden on either of these premises. The gist of their

requirements for providing permission to hide caches is this:

(a) They would like the hider/owner of the cache to fill out a small

form at the respective Site Superintendent's office. This form lists the

coordinates of the cache, the name, address, phone, and email contact

information of the hider, and asks for a short physical description of the

cache container. They would really like a photograph of the container to

attach to that form, as well.

(;) They would like all cache containers to be made of materials that

allow viewing the contents without opening the container. This will restrict

the use of certain types of containers, but is intended to make the activity

more comfortable for those that aren't "in the know". In particular, ammo

boxes are being frowned upon, and further permission to use them probably

won't be considered.

© They would like to know that caches are not being buried, which is

already against our rules, of course.

(d) They also do not want cache containers attached to any vegetation.

This does affect a couple of caches that have been placed in these parks.

(e) They don't want any cache to contain food items or anything that

might get the unwanted attention of wildlife. Again, a rule we already apply

to ourselves."

If anyone wishes to have their input known, you need to contact your favorite site supervisor and meet with them - in person at first. Then e-mail your ideas and concerns so they can easily convey that to the policy makers.

Personnaly, I archived icon_mad.gif the two caches that I had in those parks (with permission from the former superintendents). They did not comply with the transparent rule. I have since expressed my ideas to Jason Beverlin both in person and via e-mail. He welcomes your input as he is a cooperative person - most site supervisors are. Go to the IL state park web site if you need e-mail addresses.