Someone uploaded an image of my trackable

Ladyblue74

Yesterday I got a hit (discovered log entry) on my trackable patch I keep on my gear bag. I found this strange since my bag has been in the attic of the house I moved into 6 months ago and haven't had a chance to go out and do any geocaching. I asked the person who logged it where they saw it at and they told me they found it in the images gallery for the trackables. I never posted a picture of my patch. Whoever posted it, wasn't kind enough to blur my code. I have tried looking through the images (person who logged it didn't pay attention to what day the image was uploaded) and have not found it. In addition the pages only go to 50 and back to feb 28th of this year. Where are the rest of the images?

I have added a notation to my travel bug that virtual discoveries are not allowed. Any ideas on how I can find this picture that was uploaded or should will my notation on the trackable be sufficient?

Thanks for any help

Lady Blue

It's not in the TB's gallery (No photos there!) so it must be posted in a log for somewhere you've been, and been photgraphed...

The gallery on the front page is recently loaded photos (I believe?).

Other option is. It's an armchair logger who has just guessed the number.

The "I saw it in the gallery" is a cover for "I was just keying in numbers..."

Edited by Bear and Ragged

There are photo's in the travelbug gallery: http://www.geocaching.com/track/gallery.aspx If it is only showing recent uploads, there must be a data base somewhere for this person to have been digging through.

there is only one place I have been and run into other cachers, it was a CITO event back in jan of 2013. That particular even has no pictures on it of my patch.

I know someone else posted it because I did not. I guess there is no way to find it.

Edited by Ladyblue74
Other option is. It's an armchair logger who has just guessed the number.

The "I saw it in the gallery" is a cover for "I was just keying in numbers..."

I'm thinking this one...

A bunch have seen their long-lost trackable suddenly spring to life as discovered, only to find someone was keying in a ton of numbers.

Weird.

Heck the photo does not need to be here. Someone at Geowoodstock 8 in Carnation WA took a photo of our decorated minivan with it's trackable clearly showing. Fast forward a couple of years. Someone overseas happens to "find" this photo in the aforementioned someone's family blog. Suddenly our minivan is being discovered world wide, cause whomever found the photo told others where to find the photo and the TB number was eventually placed on a list of discoverable trackables and passed around.

We finally were able to track down the photo after being given many false leads on where it was. Got the person who posted it to blur out the number... in fact I think they removed the photo altogether. They were quite upset that "strangers" were searching for her semi private family blog for reasons she never intended. We then posted a BIG note on the TB page virtual discoveries would be deleted and proceed to delete any log with the hint of being a virtual. Apparently the message got out not to log our TB if you did actually see it as we've not had a virtual log in nearly a year.

I will tell you some of these virtual discoverers will complain about their logs being deleted... had one guy in Florida swear he saw out TB at an event there... Strange being the we live in Washington state, haven't be to Florida since we started caching and on the day of said event it as sitting in the driveway. After a couple of back and forths he admitted he got our number off a list being handed out at the event.

Thanks for the discussion. I hate to say I am glad to know others have experienced the same problem, just that I know it's not just me. The person did reply to my question of where they found it with "Well someone posted a pic of it in the GC photo galleries. I 'll provide a link GC trackables: "http://www.geocaching.com/track/" click the -visit travelbug galleries link. However you will have to scroll through the pages of photos until you find it because i do not remember exactly when it was posted as many (sometimes hundreds) of photos are posted daily.

Just an FYI, you know it's not uncommon for people to post pix in the galleries as a way to share their TB's. Actually some folks do this because of the theft rate of TB's out in the wild as a way of safely sharing them. I'm not quite sure why you would be upset over this? In addition if your bug is attached to your pack anyone anywhere could snap a pic and post it. In closing and in my honest opinion a photo discovery is no different than attending an event with TB's scattered about on a table for folks to view, appreciate, discover and log as such."

Ya nice story buddy. Is it ok to post the person's geocache name for warning others?

Edited by Ladyblue74

Not to start yet another armchair logger debate but who has time to sit and guess numbers?

They don't actually sit and guess numbers; they write a computer program that does it.

Okay, I'll bite. Who has time to sit and write a computer program that guesses numbers? ;)