Big Prizes

ThereAndCacheAgain

I saw that some people leave pretty good (and expensive) items in geocaches sometimes. Is it still the case that you have to leave something of equal value if someone obviously left something in there as a treat? For instance I heard of someone leaving $100 bills in caches. Could I just take that or should I leave something worth $100? Just making sure...

Perhaps you should define "treat".

Would that be SWAG, or would it be something different from SWAG?

Something (aside from trackables) left in a cache would be SWAG, unless it were specifically addressed as being otherwise.

i.e.: Geocoins are occasionally left behind as a "gift" for the next finder... but those that leave same most usually say so, either in their log or on the item itself.

Trade up, trade even, or don't trade.

There are a few things you don't have to trade for, but they are exceptions to the rule.

Trackable items like Travel Bugs and geocoins are generally not trade items. You can take them without trading, but you can't keep them. You have to leave them in another cache.

And some cache owners leave prizes for the person who is first to find (FTF), second to find (STF), third to find (TTF), etc. A few leave some sort of token for everyone who finds the cache, especially for more challenging caches like a complex puzzle night cache or a series bonus cache.

Trackable items and items that are clearly identified as prizes of some sort are not trade items. For everything else, the basic rule applies: Trade up, trade even, or don't trade.

Well, unless I leave my GPS as a trade item, it's highly unlikely I'd happen to have anything worth $100 on me. 😉
Yeah, that's the problem with trade items of real value. Several years ago, I found a cache with a bunch of very nice items in it, including a cell phone with all the accessories. But who carries anything to trade for things like that?