Personal swap token?

BC-ML

Hi folks. Been lurking for a while just happy reading & learning from the forums :ph34r: ...but now my hand has been forced as I need some help...and you good people are best placed to provide it B)

We found an unusual TB yesterday and we're not quite sure what to do with it. It wasn't logged in the cache but had a tracking number. Looked up the TB page and it's all in German. With the help of Google translate we think it's some kind of personal swap token - but what are they?

We found it in the UK but on the same day it was also logged in Germany...but from the cache logs where we found it, it was dropped off in the UK cache a while ago. Can there be multiple TBs all with the same tracking number?

Most of the entries on the TB page are where it was 'discovered' (and pretty much all are in Germany); only a few are 'dropped off'. The TB has no mission, but is also not collectible.

So do we just leave it in another cache and say we discovered it on the TB page...or do we drop it off in a cache like a normal TB? What's a personal swap token used for?

Apologies if covered elsewhere. I have checked but couldn't find anything! Thanks! :)

Nope - completely different TB. That picture is of a normal TB which had broken and I've now fixed. Totally unrelated. (I hadn't realised the tracking number was visible though so thanks for pointing that out - oops.)

The one I'm querying is green & plastic. Perhaps these 'personal token' things are mainly a German thing. I'll see if someone on the German boards can help. :wacko:

Green plastic...

Might be that the one you have is a proxy coin, sent out after the original became missing.

Could be logs on the same day may not be just the tracking number shared to others to discover, but the original resurfaced.

Often, proxy coins are sent out when the TO doesn't want to take the chance on losing the original, but I've seen some as a replacement for one missing.

Edited by cerberus1

There can be confusion between collectible and not. Collectible actually means the TB owner is collecting it.

The "confusion" in this thread is what is meant by "swap token" (probably an error in google translation) and why it's logged in different areas the same day, not whether or not it's collectible.

We found it in the UK but on the same day it was also logged in Germany...but from the cache logs where we found it, it was dropped off in the UK cache a while ago. Can there be multiple TBs all with the same tracking number?

Most of the entries on the TB page are where it was 'discovered' (and pretty much all are in Germany); only a few are 'dropped off'. The TB has no mission, but is also not collectible.

So do we just leave it in another cache and say we discovered it on the TB page...or do we drop it off in a cache like a normal TB? What's a personal swap token used for?

hi

I pick up a bookmark Signature TB ( TB1R4T4) same time back , why not email the owner and ask Him/Her what to do with the TB.

About This Item (TB1R4T4)

This signature item is not an ordinary Travel Bug (TB). If you picked up this item, it is yours to keep and enjoy. You can keep this item because there are several items that share the same TB tracking number. All we ask in return is a log that states:

• The signature item code (begins with FM-... or BM-...) printed on the sheet of paper included with the signature item.
  • The cache you found it in.
  • If you don't live in NZ, the country you come from.

If you found another different item later, please come here and log it again. Trading an item for one or more of our signature items is optional as we value the logs more, so we don't mind if you want to keep more than 1 item. All we ask is a log telling us of your collection :) and where you come from as it would be neat to know how far our stuff has spread. When logging your find, if you see that this item is:

• In the hands of another geocacher or the owner, please "Grab it" or log a "Discovered it".
  • Located in a cache (may not be in the cache where you found it), please grab it from somewhere else or from the cache where it is located.

In either case, in your log, please tell us where you really found the item. This item is also part of a Travel Bug experiment!

• All of our signature items share the same TB Tracking Number, but different items have different Signature Item Codes. There are many different designs. As the TB Tracking Number is the same for all items, please tell us the item(s) you actually picked up by writing the signature item code(s) in your log (begins with FM-... or BM-...).
  • As there are several items with the same TB number, please help them ping-pong chaotically by retrieving or grabbing and then dipping in another cache for mileage if it's convenient.
  • If you decided to keep this item, grab it and forget about it. Another geocacher or the owner will eventually grab it from your trackables inventory and you can still continue to enjoy your new find on your fridge or in a page in your favourite book!

Note: If you are new to geocaching and logging travel bugs, please do not treat other travel bugs this way because this "TB" breaks some of the rules about travel bugs. Travel bugs are almost always items that you cannot keep and should be moved to another cache. To find out how ordinary travel bugs work, please go here. Enjoy and Happy Caching!

Hi guys.

Ok, I've been given some great help over on the German forums: they've translated the TB page and one of them was even kind enough to exchange messages with the owner.

While they're calling it a 'token' the attributes are similar to the Signature TB mentioned above. One key difference however is that this German one does not have any FM- or BM- prefix code; there is only the one shared TB tracking code.

As with the Signature TB, I can discover it and keep it (if I like it), and show it so that others can discover or grab it from me, or I can discover and drop into another cache so that it moves on. The German owner has confirmed there are multiple 'tokens' in circulation, some being held by finders and others on the road.

Maybe it's part of this Travel Bug experiment, I don't know.

Still seems a bit odd to me but at least I now know what to do with this pesky green TB that's been on my dining table for a week! :D