Hidden Bonus Mystery Cache

TopShelfRob

I was looking through an old thread from 2011 (and rather than resurrect a three-year old thread) I had a related question. Looking down the road, after I get some more experience, etc., I have some ideas for an eventual series of caches which would contain clues for further caches. Not necessarily a multi that would be a series meant to be found at one time, but more like a series of traditional caches within a few county area, that would contain clues. Perhaps three trads to start with and it would have clues to mystery caches #4, 5 and 6. And then possibly a final (hidden) bonus cache.

The problem the cacher in this thread came up against -- aside from people telling him a.) he didn't have enough experience to be undertaking such a complex series yet and b.) not to place caches with an iPhone 4. (That's fine, I'm not planning on doing this anytime soon, just want to get an idea what I'm planning on well in advance & I don't cache with a phone) The problem raised in that thread was that if he did a series of caches with a final bonus cache that required clues from the earlier caches, if one of the earlier caches went offline, they were debating whether or not the final bonus cache should be temporarily disabled. Some people argued some may already have the clues, but if it was temporarily disabled, it might not show up in a PQ and they wouldn't seek a cache that they would have been able to find, while others said that for the bonus cache to be found, all the clues, in all the earlier caches would have to be currently available, regardless of whether others may have already got some of the clues already.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=276458

So what I'd be more interested in (and possibly would have been more what the OP in that other thread might have been wanting to do).... Is there any way to have a secret "unlisted" bonus cache that no one would even know of it's existence until they found the clues in the earlier caches... for instance in traditonal caches 1, 2, 3 there is enough clues to find mystery cache #4, and in 1-4 there is enough to find mystery #5, in 1-5 there is enough to find mystery cache #6, etc... But there is no mystery cache #7 in this series showing up on the maps, but a very astute puzzle solver that has figured out how to find mystery caches 4, 5 and 6 will realize that he's got another set of co-ordinates to go seek, and only then does he even know that there even is a mystery cache #7.

I understand that when people see a mystery cache on their map, they feel entitled to be able to try and find it, and that's how caches 4, 5, and 6 would work on the cache page for those caches - it would tell them they'd have to find 1,2,3 to have the necessary info to find 4, etc. But a true mystery bonus cache, to be a real bonus, no one would even know it existed until they found 1-6 and wondered where the seventh set of coordinates (if that's what they thought they had found) would take them.

Is there anyway to do this? Other than not even publishing it on GC.com at all, but I think they'd deserve a smiley for finding it. I could imagine a cache page with nothing but question marks on it, and if they did find it they could look it up by the GC code at the cache, but I'd be afraid that people would complain when they see a cache page with nothing but ????????? that would appear to be unsolvable and it wouldn't get published because people wouldn't know what they wouldn't know, plus I wouldn't want to give away within a mile of where the final one was at, for fear that people may try to cheat or brute force/battleship the final location by proximity check of the hidden location, etc., etc.

Or has this sort of thing been done already?

And, again, I have no immediate plans of doing this yet, just wondering what the rules would be for such an idea.

Edited by TopShelfRob

First off, thanks for not resurrecting the zombie thread :)

Is there any way to have a secret "unlisted" bonus cache that no one would even know of it's existence until they found the clues in the earlier caches... for instance in traditonal caches 1, 2, 3 there is enough clues to find mystery cache #4, and in 1-4 there is enough to find mystery #5, in 1-5 there is enough to find mystery cache #6, etc... But there is no mystery cache #7 in this series showing up on the maps, but a very astute puzzle solver that has figured out how to find mystery caches 4, 5 and 6 will realize that he's got another set of co-ordinates to go seek, and only then does he even know that there even is a mystery cache #7.

The unfortunate result of such a concept (i.e. Unlisted Bonus Cache), is that you probably won't get many or no Finds on it, most likely. The power of the smiley on a Users Stats cannot be overemphasized. Respect the Smiley :)

As a general observation, the more complex nested cache concepts have more issues. Unless you have some back up plan, if one link in the system fails, you end up with an unfindable Bonus Cache.

My 0.02. Good luck!

The easiest way around any problems is to be a responsible owner of geocaches and deal with maintenance issues right away. Also, if you keep the series small and close enough together, it makes for easier maintenance should one of them fall "under the weather".

As for leaving the bonus cache enabled, I would say that I'm on the side of leaving it enabled even if another cache goes missing or somesuch. Especially if you keep tabs on your caches, perform regular visits, and deal with maintenance issues right away. If you do that, the disabling of a final bonus is moot.

Here's a thought for a secret bonus cache that people can still earn a smiley; use an archived cache listing. This might be a terrible idea, and only get you in trouble with your local cachers and reviewers but hey, might as well discuss it in the forum right :ph34r: ? As far as I can tell, people can post finds on your archived listings, you will see their posts, but they do not show up on the GC.com maps, or in people's PQs so they are somewhat invisible. I can already see how this would be abused, someone posting a new cache and as soon as it is published, archiving it and then using it as their secret cache listing. This could erode trust with reviewers, and the local community. I would consider this poor etiquette, and maybe even go so far as condemn this since you could end up sending people on a wild goose chase when they get the notification for a new cache. If you happen to already have an archived listing, than you could possibly re-purpose it. This poses other issues, such as people earning double-finds on it if they had a find in its previous incarnation. Or erasing some of the "important history" of the archived cache. Some folks might be bothered that you are messing with an archived cache's information, but it's still yours right? I know of one cacher who routinely edits his archived puzzle caches, removing all information about the puzzle so that someone can't mine them for information.

I'm not condoning the use of archived listings for the purposes you mention. It would obviously have/create issues. But it is a thought.

You can't daisy chain Bonus caches. If cache 1,2,and 3 have clues to find cache 4, then cache 4 is a bonus cache and the chain has to stop there. It can not be used to hold clues required to find another cache.

I don't see why not. They certainly exist, and I see no problem with them. But maybe I am just missing something subtle about the guidelines. I realize other "illegal" caches exist, like buried ones etc... But still, what is wrong with a "daisy chain"?

You can't daisy chain Bonus caches. If cache 1,2,and 3 have clues to find cache 4, then cache 4 is a bonus cache and the chain has to stop there. It can not be used to hold clues required to find another cache.

I don't see why not. They certainly exist, and I see no problem with them. But maybe I am just missing something subtle about the guidelines. I realize other "illegal" caches exist, like buried ones etc... But still, what is wrong with a "daisy chain"?

If we were asked to vote on whether or not daisy chains of bonus caches should be allowed I'd vote no. Look at what has happened with power trails and challenges. Cache owners seem intent on creating the longest power trail or the most difficult challenge rather than just creating caches that people will enjoy finding. The same thing would happen if daisy chains were allowed. Rather than creating an interesting set of caches with a bonus cache, people would try to create the longest daisy chain.

If the cache is not listed at geocaching.com, then you can do whatever you want (subject to permission, local laws, etc., of course). Of course, then there's no smiley unless you abuse/manipulate the system somehow. (And yes, archived caches can be locked if they are getting bogus logs.)

If the cache is listed at geocaching.com, then you're subject to the guidelines here, including the prohibition of clues for a bonus geocache being placed in another bonus geocache.

If the cache is not listed at geocaching.com, then you can do whatever you want (subject to permission, local laws, etc., of course). Of course, then there's no smiley unless you abuse/manipulate the system somehow. (And yes, archived caches can be locked if they are getting bogus logs.)

If the cache is listed at geocaching.com, then you're subject to the guidelines here, including the prohibition of clues for a bonus geocache being placed in another bonus geocache.

Prohibition? Really? Here is what I see in the Knowledge Book in 1.17

Bonus Geocaches Clues to the bonus geocache location (often coordinates, or partial coordinates in several geocaches) are hidden in one or more other geocaches. Generally, clues for a bonus geocache should not be placed in another bonus geocache, and the bonus geocache belongs to the owner of the geocaches where clues are found.

That doesn't look like a prohibition to me. But again, perhaps I am missing something else.

If cache A hold coords for cache B which holds coords for cache C - this is a multi-cache. Once a cache or a cache series starts to look pretty much like a multi-cache, it ought to be listed as one. One multi-cache, not listing not A goes to B goes to C.....

The problem with bonus caches is that when one cache goes down, the downstream listings are dead. The more hides there are "downstream" the more dead listings you end up with.

Puzzle/Mystery/Unknown http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=277

Generally, clues for a bonus geocache should not be placed in another bonus geocache

It is possible to get a couple of levels deep on "bonus" caches, but usually, only from a hider who has been around for a while with a proven cache maintenance record, and some reason for the design, beyond just 'cause.

The "non listed issue" can be resolved in a certain way, too. Here in my area exists a great cache series, where there is a "hidden" bonus cache. It's puzzle coordinates simply are the same as the last "expected" cache of the series, just it's final is somewhere other. So it's not possible to tell from the map there is another cache. You need to have the GC-code (you get it from the puzzle of the assumed last cache) or happen to stumble over it somehow. Thus it's an active and loggable cache, just you're surprised when you find out it's existence.

However I don't know if placing two puzzles on the same coordinates is acceptable by current guidelines, you'll have to check first and most probably have to give the reviewer some good explanation.

To the daisy chain cache: if a station is missing, you should deactivate the following caches until issues are solved, explaining the reasons ("is there, may be searched and logged, but could not be solved at the moment"). Those who already have the coordinates still can get it, others won't be misleaded into an unresolvable adventure.

Here's a thought for a secret bonus cache that people can still earn a smiley; use an archived cache listing. This might be a terrible idea, and only get you in trouble with your local cachers and reviewers but hey, might as well discuss it in the forum right :ph34r: ? As far as I can tell, people can post finds on your archived listings, you will see their posts, but they do not show up on the GC.com maps, or in people's PQs so they are somewhat invisible. I can already see how this would be abused, someone posting a new cache and as soon as it is published, archiving it and then using it as their secret cache listing. This could erode trust with reviewers, and the local community. I would consider this poor etiquette, and maybe even go so far as condemn this since you could end up sending people on a wild goose chase when they get the notification for a new cache. If you happen to already have an archived listing, than you could possibly re-purpose it. This poses other issues, such as people earning double-finds on it if they had a find in its previous incarnation. Or erasing some of the "important history" of the archived cache. Some folks might be bothered that you are messing with an archived cache's information, but it's still yours right? I know of one cacher who routinely edits his archived puzzle caches, removing all information about the puzzle so that someone can't mine them for information.

I'm not condoning the use of archived listings for the purposes you mention. It would obviously have/create issues. But it is a thought.

I'm a bit confused as to why you would suggest something that you state is:

* a terrible idea

* poor etiquette

* a wild goose

and "could erode trust with reviewers, and the local community"

Why even bring it up if you already sense that it is a bad idea?

I'm a bit confused as to why you would suggest something that you state is:

* a terrible idea

* poor etiquette

* a wild goose

and "could erode trust with reviewers, and the local community"

Why even bring it up if you already sense that it is a bad idea?

Actually I find the idea pretty fascinating. There are certainly aspects of it that are unattractive or could be misused. But I can imagine it being used appropriately to do exactly what the OP was asking for. And since I was curious, I posted the idea to see what kind of holes people could poke in it. Archived listings in general intrigue me. I know that some people use their archived listings for different things, such as trying out html-code in their logs, or making travel-bug repositories. I also have found some archived caches and had no issues with logging them as found. They were there, and I found them. Simple enough. So I posted my thoughts. Seems like that's what you do in these forums, although I recognize that sometimes it is best to keep thoughts to yourself. Perhaps this was one of those times... :( .

I myself an planning an in depth series in my area with a double bonus cache. However, I am planning on having everything planned out, made, and ready to go prior to its release, to include how to solve the bonus cache. I have a few people that I know that I will beta test before I take it to the field for placement. Which leads to another problem and issue in and of itself, where to place each cache and permission to do so. Again, all of which will be solved before any part of it hits the field. I am thinking the double bonus will work like this, gather all the clues and put them together, find bouns cache one, in bonus cache one, is a "key" that when you use it, it leads to bonus cache 2. It will be possible to solve bonus cache 2 without the key, but will be more difficult to do. Both bonus caches would use the exact same clues, just placed in a different order from one another. Again just a thought.

Back to topic:

As to this idea of using an archived listing for the bonus cache, I am against it on the sole purpose that once a cache page is archived, that location is opened up for anyone. If you place your bonus cache there then archive the page, someone else may come along see your container, take it, list that spot for their own and now you are leading people to someone elses cache when you left your bonus cache there last, now you are unaware of the change till people start to complain and you get a bad rap for it. If you are going to do a bonus cache, list it as a mystery cache type and put on the page that it is a bonus cache for xyz series and heres what you need to do to solve it.

If you are going to do a bonus cache, list it as a mystery cache type and put on the page that it is a bonus cache for xyz series and heres what you need to do to solve it.

I guess in my idea, I'm not really looking for the "double secret bonus cache" to be something that everyone would know about existing. I was more of thinking it would be on my rural property (not somewhere where others would be acciedntally placing a cache right on top of or accidentally stumble upon) It would be something that would be intended to be seldom found, just a reward for those who went through all the others and determined that there even was an additional cache, and then were able to find it.

If it was publicy listed and everyone (or at least all premium members, if I made it a premium cache) knew about it, everybody would want to try to solve it, leading to more traffic than I would want for this, which I would intend to be a rather impressive accomplishment, not just another smiley that everyone could eventually get.

And if wanting to do that kind of elite cache isn't within the rules, or the spirit of the rules, that's fine, that's what I wanted to know and why I started this thread.

Thanks again for all the replies! :)

I'm thinking the best and only way to do it as I would want would be as a non Geocaching.com cache, just something that may or may not even exist, but if someone did find it, with no smiley to earn, they would have to be content with their reward being merely the find and any reward that a FTF would get... I sense this type of thing wouldn't appeal to the number crunchers anyway.

Edited by TopShelfRob
I guess in my idea, I'm not really looking for the "double secret bonus cache" to be something that everyone would know about existing. I was more of thinking it would be on my rural property (not somewhere where others would be acciedntally placing a cache right on top of or accidentally stumble upon) It would be something that would be intended to be seldom found, just a reward for those who went through all the others and determined that there even was an additional cache, and then were able to find it.

If it was publicy listed and everyone (or at least all premium members, if I made it a premium cache) knew about it, everybody would want to try to solve it, leading to more traffic than I would want for this, which I would intend to be a rather impressive accomplishment, not just another smiley that everyone could eventually get.

And if wanting to do that kind of elite cache isn't within the rules, or the spirit of the rules, that's fine, that's what I wanted to kinow and why I started this thread.

Thanks again for all the replies! :)

I'm thinking the best and only way to do it as I would want would be as a non Geocaching.com cache, just something that may or may not even exist, but if someone did find it, they would have to be content with their reward being merely the find and any reward that a FTF would get... I sense this type of thing might not even appeal to the number crunchers anyway.

You are right there, there is power in that smilely... it is the driving force for the vast majority of caches out there. It sounds to me like you may have solved your problem already, however, if you did want to make it public, is there a place or way you can put it on your property so the extra trafic would not be so much of a bother or concern? It seems like a waste to me that if you are going to put so much time and effort into a spectacular bonus cache, to not share it with the public.

But yes, what you do on your property outside of the GC relm, is your choice. The Geocaching rules only apply to what gets listed on the site, so if you decide later to list it on this site, is should conform to the rules they have here or it will lead to problems...

Other places may allow different things as to cache type, rules, etc. So you may be able to cross list them with the secret bonus cache being listed on another site, and the main series being on both, if you wish to do it that way.

Just my thoughts

...is there a place or way you can put it on your property so the extra trafic would not be so much of a bother or concern? It seems like a waste to me that if you are going to put so much time and effort into a spectacular bonus cache, to not share it with the public.

Well, yeah, but that wouldn't be the goal here. If I made it to be found by everybody, I could certainly locate it in a different manner on my property where it wouldn't bother me how many people, and how often, they'd come to find it. I wouldn't mind listing that kind of cache publicly. And in fact I'll probably do a traditional in that manner before I attempt anything like this.

But that's a whole different thing, here I'm talking about looking to reward people who are able to solve a relatively complex cache series that wouldn't be completed all that often -- that facet of it would be the only thing that would be really 'spectacular' about it.

Edited by TopShelfRob

Seeing this post, and knowing about this series to come, makes me wish I lived in your area to search for it and all aspects of it including the unlisted bonus cache. The allure for me of geocaching is finding that which is hidden or unknown. The smilely is just a way to mark the map for the ones I have found, the counter just lets me know how many I have found so far.

I don't know if you want to hint in a cryptic way about the bonus cache or not, again that is your choice to do or not. Kind of like the caches lead into one another like parts of a story about a hidden treasure that does not tell you the clues or how to put them together, just that they are there and all around. Kinda like the movie National Treasure or The Da Vinci Code if you like.

Based off your previous posts, I will guess not.

Edited by SirBowen

I get it becasue I am planning on doing something simular myself, only differance is that all parts of mine will be public. I have debated wether I want to publish the final bonus to the series first leaving some mystery to the rest, but I doubt it would be published since it would not be able to be solved right away. Either way that's the one of the series to start at with creating them all.

Same with yours, I would get the coords to where you want to hide the unpublished bonus cache and published bonus (if you make one) then work your series backwards from there.

do it as I would want would be as a non Geocaching.com cache, just something that may or may not even exist, but if someone did find it, with no smiley to earn, they would have to be content with their reward being merely the find

This happens my area - sometimes as a one off - intended to be found and removed (entire cache as gift) by cacher who gets to it first. And sometimes as cache that remains in place.

There aren't a lot of people doing these ;-), but that's not a disincentive for the people hiding and finding them.

I'm confused... So *anyone* that completes the series up to the first bonus cache then finds out there is a second bonus cache?

Assuming the answer is "yes" then why not list it as a cache itself, since you have no control over who and how many finish the series and find out about the special 2nd bonus cache.

Is it that you don't want to encourage cachers who only want to do the series because there is a second bonus? To be honest that would seem very odd - I can't imagine there'd be a very large sector of the caching community only driven to go caching to find "2nd bonus caches"...

I'm confused... So *anyone* that completes the series up to the first bonus cache then finds out there is a second bonus cache?

Assuming the answer is "yes" then why not list it as a cache itself, since you have no control over who and how many finish the series and find out about the special 2nd bonus cache.

Is it that you don't want to encourage cachers who only want to do the series because there is a second bonus? To be honest that would seem very odd - I can't imagine there'd be a very large sector of the caching community only driven to go caching to find "2nd bonus caches"...

Sounds like a very simple "Challenge" cache. Find all in a series, including the Bonus cache, and you can log the Bonus-bonus cache. :blink:

I guess I was thinking more like those that completed the others could be pleasantly surprised to find that there was another cache,which they wouldn't be if they already knew about it.

Some of the unlisted bonus caches around me: on a spectacular cypress, from the original uncut forest - cacher couldn't get permission from the land manager for a published hide (this has since changed, new manager), so coords for it were in the final of another multi-cache.

On an artifact of the original narrow gauge railroad, remarkably deep into swamp - too close to the stage of an existing cache

a one-off, find it, take it, cache ready ammo can... I do this from time to time, as do others. usually coords for these are going to be left in higher terrain multi-caches. The folks who find those are apt to do something pleasant with that can.

This idea is intriguing. I have placed a series with a similiar bonus cache idea involved. Not exactly what you have described, but similar in a way. I laid out a series of five caches, they do not piggyback, as far as that you can find all of them individually. The bonus cache is in fact listed as a mystery cache and its icon rests near the beginning of the trail, however I placed coords for it very close to the parking waypoint for the series and thus it can be hidden on the map by an overlapping icon and is only seen if zoomed in enough. Of course this cache will show up on a query. There is no mention of the bonus cache in any of the other listings however, and so ultimately it can and is missed by many who complete the trail, if they dont view the listing because it is a mystery cache, if they view the map and don't see it because of the overlapping parking icon, or just for not being thorough. As for the bonus it isnt real complex. A simple substitution code with one piece written at the top of the log of each cache in the series. The idea is that it is there to be had but not overtly advertised. Several people have logged the entire series only to miss the bonus. Those that persevere and find it are rewarded with an additional smiley. I know this is a bit off of what you describe but thought it was worth mentioning. Another thought I had was for your idea, perhaps you could have an actual listing for your bonus cache with no solvable info in the listing...and have cachers email you whatever solution they have to resolve...in order to have the coordinates to the bonus emailed to them. Just my 2 cents.

... cacher couldn't get permission...

This whole idea kind of bothers me :(

It was a virt, coords for the tree.

Even had it been a physical cache, as bonus coords to a high terrain multi, I think it may have had 2 whole visitors.

There's a published cache there now, manager went back to the old policy - after a brief period of "caches within 3 feet of trails" - which just made for rapidly disappearing caches ;-)

I guess I was thinking more like those that completed the others could be pleasantly surprised to find that there was another cache,which they wouldn't be if they already knew about it.

While the idea of a surprise seems nice, for planning purposes I'd rather know about the bonus cache up front. Furthermore, if I notice a series with a bonus cache, I'll often go out of my way to follow it. A link to a bonus cache in a cache's description is a sure way to pique my interest.

Just spitballing -- you could set up a separate account, create a very difficult puzzle, the solution to which would be, "to find this cache, find [bonus cache #1]." Or maybe have it be solveable, but have one of the early stages of the puzzle tell cachers that a shortcut would be finding your first bonus cache.

Aha, I understand now. Here's an idea then... Create another puzzle cache, call it whatever you want and make it a D5. Simply state on the cache page that the coordinates for this cache are hidden in another cache, and nothing else. Hide the coords for this puzzle cache in your normal bonus cache and then this other puzzle cache becomes your surprise bonus cache!