Can't Open a Nano? Put Down the Pliers

Creaky Cactus

I find this attitude amusing. Why not go all the way and say, "Sometimes I look for a cache, and it turns out that it's hidden. Well, I don't want to be bothered looking for the cache, so although I know the rules say I'm supposed to find the cache, I don't bother, but I claim the find, anyway. If a CO has trouble with that, then I'll just go back, find the cache, scribble all over the log, and then report that it needs maintenance"? Some these positions so silly, I'm hoping you're thinking it's so obvious you're joking, you didn't bother to add smilies. But I can't shake the feeling that you're serious.

If you're disappointed to have found a nano, that's fine with me. But why are you bothering to claim a find?

I probably wouldn't really do that. What I would do is just ignore the rest of that person's caches. And, I never said that I was disappointed to find a nano. Let's be real. After a nano has been found about ten times, the log is a total mess. I have fat clumsy fingers. Playing around with the thing for ten minutes, trying to get a shredded log back into the cap is not my idea of fun. I found the cache, there is nothing special about it like puzzling out a combo lock on an ammo can, so I'm logging it.

I posted here about four years ago that I didn't sign nano logs and one of the most respected members of the forum said that I was disgusting. It's good to see that there are others that treat these things the same as I.

I thought this thread was about how to open nanos. Seems like it's turning into a nano hate-fest. Don't like 'em? Don't seek 'em.

Good point... except that there is no way that geocachers who dislike nanos can filter out these little beasties. I happily search for micros (film boxes, pill bottles, & other home-made "very small" containers (my favourites!) But nanos are grouped with micros, which is dumb.

Wouldn't it *REALLY* nice if our friends at Geocaching HQ would create another size called Nano.

SlackMac.

I thought this thread was about how to open nanos. Seems like it's turning into a nano hate-fest. Don't like 'em? Don't seek 'em.

Good point... except that there is no way that geocachers who dislike nanos can filter out these little beasties. I happily search for micros (film boxes, pill bottles, & other home-made "very small" containers (my favourites!) But nanos are grouped with micros, which is dumb.

Wouldn't it *REALLY* nice if our friends at Geocaching HQ would create another size called Nano.

SlackMac.

We were told that this was going to happen, quite some time ago. It never did.

Yeah, it was suggested in November 2011. And in August 2010. And in May 2009. And in March 2008. And in January 2007. And in May 2006. And a number of other times.

The last I heard, the new size is waiting for the updated GPX format, and the updated GPX format is not being actively developed.

I remember a few old geocaches in my area. Someone thought it would be fun to put the log sheet in a bullet and shell. I could usually get the thing open, but there was one cache that I just couldn't open. I tried it when I was new in 2006 and had to log a DNF or note since I couldn't sign the log. Over the years, I'd return to the cache and try to open it and fail. Other people would make normal find logs or find logs mentioning they couldn't open the cache. I was still operating under the rule that I must sign the log to be able to log a find. One evening, I went into the nearby dollar store and bought two pliers so I could open the cache. This solved my problem and I never had to visit the cache again. (Half a year later, the cache was archived.)

There was another time I found a stubborn cache. It was some sort of flexible plastic and just needed to have enough pressure on it for the top to pop off. When I couldn't open the container, I decided to run it over with my car. This put the pressure I needed to open the container. I would not have done so had I thought the container would be damaged.

I also remember a bent bison tube. I spent twenty minutes trying to open it even with pliers. I finally did get it open, signed the log and closed the container again. When I got around to logging the cache, I saw the several people that came after me had just logged a find and said they couldn't open the container. I think it was then I began to dislike the lax people had gotten.

I have found several hard to open nanos. I've tried different things, but haven't tried a rubber band. The thing is, if you leave a rubber band in your vehicle over the summer, it'll dry out. So, for now, I'll just keep a multi-tool (SOG PowerAssist) in my car.

The trick to rolling the log for nanos and bison tubes is to roll them loosely and then keep rolling between your finger and thumb (like rolling a cigarette) and it will gradually get tighter and tighter until it is small enough to fit back into the cache. Always make it small enough to fit into the lid.

On topic, i've had pretty good luck with this device.

09bf4994-25cb-4aca-afd2-4b34dc1001b0.jpg

Wait...so now (according to this thread) my TOTT should include rubber bands, two pairs of pliers/mole grips, ketchup, Frank's Red Hot, WD40, duct tape, and now I should add a hydraulic fluid tank to power my Hurst? :P:lol:

You are correct. And if you read and follow the advice of every thread, past and present, about what equipment to take caching, you'll need a tractor-trailer truck to carry it all.

And strategize your plans to open the nano before using a shogun approach. (Ooooh, now there's an idea - a shotgun! Add that to your list.) Never apply WD-40 to the nano if you're also using ketchup or hot sauce.

Though CJ's found a couple behind signs and guardrails, the few I've found were placed over water (bridge or grate) and I dropped the tops of two into the deep.

Easy to open though. :)

Offered to replace, but the CO's said it was okay - happens often.

- Then why put 'em there?

Anyway... I sometimes notice this type on my way elsewhere now and just skip 'em.

I find this attitude amusing. Why not go all the way and say, "Sometimes I look for a cache, and it turns out that it's hidden. Well, I don't want to be bothered looking for the cache, so although I know the rules say I'm supposed to find the cache, I don't bother, but I claim the find, anyway. If a CO has trouble with that, then I'll just go back, find the cache, scribble all over the log, and then report that it needs maintenance"? Some these positions so silly, I'm hoping you're thinking it's so obvious you're joking, you didn't bother to add smilies. But I can't shake the feeling that you're serious.

If you're disappointed to have found a nano, that's fine with me. But why are you bothering to claim a find?

+1 I thought exactly the same thing.

Edit to add - but then again, I've seen a few caches where someone has more or less done exactly that, and not just nano caches...

Edited by funkymunkyzone