Basic members cannot see premium-only caches on the map anymore

-CJ-

As it was earlier, a basic member could view both premium and non-premium caches on the map. Non-premium caches could be seen at all zoom levels, premium caches - at some zoom levels.

One of my colleagues asked if this approach was changed by Groundspeak recently. We checked the map. Being signed in as a basic member I cannot see premium caches on the map at all, whatever zoom level I use.

I hope it's a bug.

Having those premium caches on the map Groundspeak could advertise basic members to join the community and get premium accounts. By removing these caches from the map they did just the opposite, I think. Also, basic members got another obstacle on their way as COs. They had cache saturation visualised on the map - now they haven't.

Is it a bug?

A bug was recently introduced in which PMO caches do not show up on the map when zoomed in, regardless of the user's membership level. It is in our backlog, but has not yet been prioritized for a fix.

I thought the bug was that PMO caches do not show up at all. Previously they showed up for non premiums when zoomed out past the "personalisation level".

Edited by stebu

A bug was recently introduced in which PMO caches do not show up on the map when zoomed in, regardless of the user's membership level. It is in our backlog, but has not yet been prioritized for a fix.

I thought the bug was that PMO caches do not show up at all. Previously they showed up for non premiums when zoomed out past the "personalisation level".

You are correct and I misspoke - the issue is that the unpersonalized zoom levels are now failing to show PMO caches.

Yawn. Just one more incentive to pony up. Hold off on the lattes for a few days and go premium. You won't regret it.

How can it be an incentive if you can't see what you're missing? While people created PMO caches for several reason I've always thought that one of the best is to provide an incentive that will encourage basic members to become premium members and the best way to do that would be to include full listings with the exception of the lat/long coordinates.

Good! If anything on the Top of Search results, or the map, a Note should be there... "In this area, there are ALSO XXX Premium Member Caches as well." That way Non PMs woudl get to know there ARE PMO Caches, but NOT where they are. Within the Current system, the First time a non PM should know Closeness is IF their Placed cache is Close to a PMO. In other words, " You can't place your cache there, It's too close to a Premium Member cache."

Good! If anything on the Top of Search results, or the map, a Note should be there... "In this area, there are ALSO XXX Premium Member Caches as well." That way Non PMs woudl get to know there ARE PMO Caches, but NOT where they are. Within the Current system, the First time a non PM should know Closeness is IF their Placed cache is Close to a PMO. In other words, " You can't place your cache there, It's too close to a Premium Member cache."

In an area with lots and lots of premium member caches (which I know exist because the search shows them up) this could lead to a considerable waste of time and effort for the poor old basic member.

I'm currently talking to a land manager about putting caches on their land. It's already taken 4 weeks and is likely to take a while longer. The stages of each multi will need to be checked with them and probably at least one other organisation and they're likely to make me register them with the police as well - which I'm entirely happy to do. Then I'll place them and so on - and then, only at that stage, will I be told that I can't publish there - once the poor old reviewer has to write the response to me?

Hmmm - unlikely to be awfully effective imo. It certainly wouldn't do anything to encourage me to place caches.