4.5 Years, Over 52,300 Miles, Back in My Hands!

MI_CO

I am so excited I had to post...

I released 3 travel bugs and one coin into the wild 4.5 years ago, well knowing that they may not last long. One travel bug was muggled after 4,000 miles, one was picked up by a one cache wonder after 100 miles, the coin went missing. But one travel bug, my favorite of them all, Dream Cruise, was going strong.

When she (Dream Cruise is a '57 Chevy Bel Aire, and to me cars are female) hit 5,000 miles, I was excited. Then she hit 10,000 miles, 20,000 miles, etc. I decided if she hit 50,000 miles and came within 300 miles of where I live, I would collect her and bring her home.

Well, she did, and I did. I was living in a different state when released, but she found her way back there and while home for the holidays, I enlisted my nephew and niece, and we did a road trip to collect her. She is a little worse for wear, but in surprisingly in good shape! It was interesting to see the all the travelers she picked up along the way, including an interesting one while in Israel.

I have had as many as 62 fellow cachers watching her travel along the way, and received great notes and emails.

That is all, I was just so excited to have my bug back, I had to post and share!

Edited by MIGolfer

It is exciting when they make it back home isn't it! :lol: One of ours just made it back as well, here is its story-

Jack Frost made it home!!

We released Jack in Mazatlan in Feb. 2007. He has traveled 14,645.4 miles. After being left in Mexico he made a huge leap to the Yukon and then made another big trip to Alabama. He traveled the south for awhile and was then lost in late 2007- early 2008. He got back in the game only to be lost again in 2009, reappearing in 2013. In Aug. 2013 he made it to Michigan, about 180 miles from home only to be grabbed and taken to Florida! Finally this November he showed up 85 miles from home, close enough for us to grab him on our way home from visiting family for Christmas. I was a little afraid to open the cache he was (supposed to be) in, afraid someone might have picked him up already, but there he was safe and sound!

Jack is now resting at home while we debate what to do with him. Travel Bugs do take strange routes, people don't always care what their missions are, they will disappear, they might just pop back up.....they are a fun part of the game!

Thats awesome to hear... I just released a couple travel bugs at christmas time and they are doing good. I got really excited today when I got the email saying that My TB had been dropped. So I clicked on the page to see where and OMG it has made it to Spain. which Im really excited about. I cant believe it less than a month and it has traveled 6000 miles :))) I dropped it way down in the tip of texas in Port Isabel and now its in spain. Just crazy huh? Cant wait to see where it goes. Tavelling Ted

Thats awesome to hear... I just released a couple travel bugs at christmas time and they are doing good. I got really excited today when I got the email saying that My TB had been dropped. So I clicked on the page to see where and OMG it has made it to Spain. which Im really excited about. I cant believe it less than a month and it has traveled 6000 miles :))) I dropped it way down in the tip of texas in Port Isabel and now its in spain. Just crazy huh? Cant wait to see where it goes. Tavelling Ted

Wow! The third jump was across the Atlantic!

Wow! The third jump was across the Atlantic!

I KnoW! Suprised me as well but am excitedly waiting to see where it will go from there :)

Congratulations! My advice: NEVER, NEVER, NEVER give up on these little bugs!

We launched one in March 2005, and while it has endured long periods of radio silence (as in years), it pops up every so often. It left the US and languished in Spain/Portugal border region for a while. Next we heard it was in South Africa. Then yesterday it was placed in a cache in Germany. That's still a bit far from our home in Virginia, so hopefully when it hops the Atlantic again, we can retrieve it.

What's really fun to contemplate is that when we launched her, eight years ago, our kids were little. Now one is in college and the other about to graduate from high school. A lot of life lived in 8 years!

baacca91-2d4d-47d4-905a-326eb0dcbe53.jpg

I miss my TB DOMO Kun go home.

He went from Stavanger, Norway to the Czech Republic, where Rakitka1 picked him up and logged him as visiting a cache in Mexico that is inactive now.

I tried to write to her, twice, but no reply.

In her profile on geocaching.com it says she has not been active since October of last year.

I'm hoping she still has him and will set him free again when spring comes along and she feels the urge to go back out geocaching.

So he has traveled 11314.7km.

I hope he'll find his way to Tokyo one day still.

Thanks for a little perhaps unintended tip. About watching TBs. I have friends and we watch each others TBs to see what they are up to.

But I like the concept of following the high mileage ones that pass through our hands.

In the past I would just watch a Cache and TB and see if it was picked up and dropped of again.

Once it had moved a couple of caches or so I'd stop watching.