Possible to configure a new cache page privately?

JessicasDaddy

My daughter and I are building our first cache. I was wondering if it's at all possible to create a new cache page with incomplete information, building it up as we build the cache, filling in the blanks as we go (which may take several days to complete), and then when everything is done "pull the trigger" to make the page public. As it is right now it seems that you can't really make a new cache page until after everything is 100% complete, and the page is live as soon as you submit it.

I am moving your thread from the Geocaching.com Feature Suggestion and Bug Reports forum over to the "How do I... ?" forum.

You can edit your draft cache listings for as long as you like. Just don't enable the listing for review. Once all the details are in place, you can check the box to enable the page so your reviewer will see it.

Yes you can. I am doing just that at the moment, fill out the form,I used the old version, and save it but don't enable it as was stated above. You can use your home coordinates to start with if you like but remember to alter it before publication. You will be assigned a cache reference number and see how it will display, especially useful if you are using html as not all tags are supported. From your profile page click on geocaches and on the right you will find your cache, click on it and you will be taken to it's page. Make as many edits as you like but do not submit for review until ready, remember the cache must be in place when submitted.

Good luck with your cache.

I would suggest using the correct coords or something very close as that will save the spot if someone else decides to put a cache in the area.

Good point,

I do not know if the OP has a spot in mind but co-ords are required in order to save an unpublished cache page.

If a spot has been identified and co-ords are quoted to save the page but the cache is not submitted for publication and someone else plants a cache within 1/10m of them AND submits it for publication can the reviewer save the spot for the unpublished cache, assuming they can see the unpublished cache, and not allow the submitted cache to be published?

Before I go to the trouble of making a fabulous container and camouflage, creating elaborate cache descriptions, placing my wonderful hide then submitting it for review only to find it can't be published because it's too close to a waypoint for a multi or mystery or whatever, I create a page on Geocaching.com with the cache name of "Coordinate Check". I place the coordinates of where I want to place my hide in the appropriate section on the cache page, then submit it for review with a Reviewer Note saying "This cache is not ready for publication. Would you mind checking to see if my selected location is acceptable. Thanks." Add any other information that is pertinent to your location in this reviewer note. The reviewer can see a lot more information than we can. They can even see the location of unpublished caches by other players. After a period of time, you will get a response saying the location is acceptable or not.

If the location is acceptable, go ahead and prepare your hide. Edit you cache page as appropriate, particularly the cache name, then submit it again for review once the cache container is placed and you're ready for it to be published.

If the location is not acceptable, then you haven't wasted all that time, effort and money in a project that will ultimately be rejected.

I have found this method to save a lot of time and frustration in getting my cache hides published.

Before I go to the trouble of making a fabulous container and camouflage, creating elaborate cache descriptions, placing my wonderful hide then submitting it for review only to find it can't be published because it's too close to a waypoint for a multi or mystery or whatever, I create a page on Geocaching.com with the cache name of "Coordinate Check". I place the coordinates of where I want to place my hide in the appropriate section on the cache page, then submit it for review with a Reviewer Note saying "This cache is not ready for publication. Would you mind checking to see if my selected location is acceptable. Thanks." Add any other information that is pertinent to your location in this reviewer note. The reviewer can see a lot more information than we can. They can even see the location of unpublished caches by other players. After a period of time, you will get a response saying the location is acceptable or not.

If the location is acceptable, go ahead and prepare your hide. Edit you cache page as appropriate, particularly the cache name, then submit it again for review once the cache container is placed and you're ready for it to be published.

If the location is not acceptable, then you haven't wasted all that time, effort and money in a project that will ultimately be rejected.

I have found this method to save a lot of time and frustration in getting my cache hides published.

That is exactly how my reviewer has suggested I do it. The reviewer will give you some time to finish it but not forever. If someone tries to place one in the exclusion area he will contact the pending to speed him along.

My daughter and I are building our first cache. I was wondering if it's at all possible to create a new cache page with incomplete information, building it up as we build the cache, filling in the blanks as we go (which may take several days to complete), and then when everything is done "pull the trigger" to make the page public. As it is right now it seems that you can't really make a new cache page until after everything is 100% complete, and the page is live as soon as you submit it.

Sure you can. I made one multi that took me almost 2 years to get completed--and 4 different locations before I really decided on the best area for it. My first choice had permission issues, the 2nd had proximity issues, and the 3rd just had no really good hiding places--too much muggle activity and no good cover. As stated previously, just make sure not to check the box to enable it until it is 100% complete and ready to be found.