city with the most

4thnoel

Is there any link to tell us what city in each state has the most geocaches in. Or a site that says where the oldest ones are in each state.

It would be safe to assume the largest city has the most caches. A) The more area the city covers, the more caches it can hold. B)The larger the city, the larger the population, including geocachers. Thaqt means more people to place more caches.

Is there any link to tell us what city in each state has the most geocaches in. Or a site that says where the oldest ones are in each state.

It would be safe to assume the largest city has the most caches. A) The more area the city covers, the more caches it can hold. B)The larger the city, the larger the population, including geocachers. Thaqt means more people to place more caches.

I just made a rough polygon for the City of Los Angeles, which I believe may be the largest city geographically in the US, and ran it against my GSAK db and was surprised to come up with 3250 active caches. I would have guessed much higher. I wouldn't

be surprised to find that some of the bigger European cites might surpass that.

Las Vegas is pretty big geographically and it has a high concentration of caches.

Beijing is considered to be the largest city in the world. I've got a pocket query I ran from when I was there a couple of years ago. There are only 137 caches within 50 miles of city center. Dar es Salaam, Tanzania is a city of 4.3 million people. There is only 1 cache within the city limits.

New York City is the largest city in the U.S. but you'll find that there are more caches within 50 miles of city center in Dallas than there are in NYC.

Beijing is considered to be the largest city in the world. I've got a pocket query I ran from when I was there a couple of years ago. There are only 137 caches within 50 miles of city center. Dar es Salaam, Tanzania is a city of 4.3 million people. There is only 1 cache within the city limits.

New York City is the largest city in the U.S. but you'll find that there are more caches within 50 miles of city center in Dallas than there are in NYC.

Yes. There is clearly a misunderstanding/difugality of the misdefinitions here. Largest city?? Define that. Area or population? Define 'city'. In New Jersey, municipalities can be: borough, village, town, township or city. None of which has any bearing on reality.

Largest city population is still Newark. Not a lot of caches there. Largest municipality population? I think it is Woodbridge Township. Largest municipality area? Probably Washington Township, in Burlington. (Yes. We have seven municipalities named Washington...) Not sure which 'municipality' has the most caches. Certainly not one of the largest cities. Probably not one of the largest municipalities, either area-wise or population-wise. There is a complete lack of definition here!

On a interesting side note, I have caches in five of the six most densely municipalities in the US. (Municipality being described as an incorporated municipality.)

Guttenberg, NJ: 58821 people per square mile

Union City, NJ: 52327 People per square mile

West New York, NJ: 48733 people per squar3 mile

Hoboken, NJ; 39066 people per square mile

Missed #5: Kaser, NY. 27788 people per square mile

New York City, NY: 26593 people per square mile

Definitely need to hide a cache in Cliffside Park NJ: 24577 people per square mile

And East Newark, NJ: 24060 people per square mile

Then I could have 8 of 9!!!

Without definition, discussion is meaningless.

But, I think I have a record here that no one will come close to duplicating.

I did not want the largest population in a city I wanted to know what city had the most caches in it. IE: West Bend WI has the most of Wisconsin. That kind of thing.

Yes. There is clearly a misunderstanding/difugality of the misdefinitions here. Largest city?? Define that. Area or population? Define 'city'. In New Jersey, municipalities can be: borough, village, town, township or city. None of which has any bearing on reality.

Largest city population is still Newark. Not a lot of caches there. Largest municipality population? I think it is Woodbridge Township. Largest municipality area? Probably Washington Township, in Burlington. (Yes. We have seven municipalities named Washington...) Not sure which 'municipality' has the most caches. Certainly not one of the largest cities. Probably not one of the largest municipalities, either area-wise or population-wise. There is a complete lack of definition here!

On a interesting side note, I have caches in five of the six most densely municipalities in the US. (Municipality being described as an incorporated municipality.)

Guttenberg, NJ: 58821 people per square mile

Union City, NJ: 52327 People per square mile

West New York, NJ: 48733 people per squar3 mile

Hoboken, NJ; 39066 people per square mile

Missed #5: Kaser, NY. 27788 people per square mile

New York City, NY: 26593 people per square mile

Definitely need to hide a cache in Cliffside Park NJ: 24577 people per square mile

And East Newark, NJ: 24060 people per square mile

Then I could have 8 of 9!!!

Without definition, discussion is meaningless.

But, I think I have a record here that no one will come close to duplicating.

I did not want the largest population in a city I wanted to know what city had the most caches in it. IE: West Bend WI has the most of Wisconsin. That kind of thing.

I doubt that anyone has compiled a list. About all you can do is look at the map and note the larger clusters of caches in each state. Then use the Hide and Seek a Cache form, enter in the city name, and select a reasonable search radius (and use that radius for all searches) such as 20 or 30 miles. That should give you some ballpark figures.

Even if you find which city has the most caches in each state, and which has the most in the US, would it really do any good? By going there, you might be sacrificing quality for quantity. In our area, it looks like the PNG Monster puked all over the map. Not exactly as fulfilling as a place with fewer caches where they actually mean something.

I was curious about something similar recently. I wanted to know which city/town in Wyoming had the most caches. I ran a pocket query with a 50 mile radius from the approximate center of each town. I looked at not only the total caches but also how many caches per person. A couple of mid-sized (for WY) cities actually had more caches then the larger ones.

I don't think the size of the city has as much to do with the number of caches as it does the number of active cachers.

My point (outside of my slightly off-topic record) is your definition: City. Caches located within the corporate limits of a municipality defined as a 'city'. No caches count in the suburbs. Cannot count caches in towns, villages, townships, unincorporated areas. Those are not cities!

I'll see what I can come up with, for you, of the number of caches in municipalities legally designated as cities. So far, it looks like Paterson is leading wit 36 caches. Clifton seems to be second with 30 caches. But I have more research to do. (Tough to overlay a municipal map over the geocaching map...)

It should be noted that I do not go geocaching in some major cities: Just too dangerous. That would include Paterson, Newark, Camden, Trenton and possibly a few others.

It is also noted that there is only one cache in Union City, NJ. And that is mine.