Cache thief needs input.

So some guy in Alaska is holding caches for ransom. I emailed him and told him his theft made national news. Please email him and let him know what you think.

My link

Exactly what he wants. Don't give it to him and he'll get bored and move on to something else. Stealing caches is no fun if nobody notices.

Edited by briansnat

Better say nothing at all but "cache away, placed new one".

If notifying the cache maggot, then be sure to hit him very hard at first try: telling the parents/family (depends on age), involving police or a kind of flashmob visit with the full local cacher community (however, no violence please!).

Writing mails or complaining in cache listings or forums just feeds the disturbed minds of such persons and encourages them to continue.

Stealing caches is no fun if nobody notices.

We have to replace stolen geocaches so it cannot be that "nobody notices" :(

Do you mean that COs may say (to those who ask) that the lost caches were not stolen but muggled by accident?

I think his point was that this person is in need of attention and if you don't give them any, they will find someone else to harass. There is no other way to deal with this than ignore it. Replace the missing caches at a later date.

I Wonder if there is anyone dumb enough to accidentally stumble upon a geocache for the first time, and think that it was actually lost! Like, someone accidentally left it where it was, and now doesnt' know where it it?

Hmmm....not sure why that is so small....:huh:

Edited by Rinerts

Do you mean that COs may say (to those who ask) that the lost caches were not stolen but muggled by accident?

I mean you quietly replace the cache or archive it without any mention of why.

I mean you quietly replace the cache or archive it without any mention of why.

I agree. Ignore the post and replace container.

Although not a full-proof plan and in an attempt to thwart theft, I usually do the following:

(1) Don't mention ammo can or type of container in writing in cache listing.

(2) Make the cache premium only

(3) Keep ammo cans and such as final in multi or puzzle cache

Would love to hear if anybody has other ideas too.

I Wonder if there is anyone dumb enough to accidentally stumble upon a geocache for the first time, and think that it was actually lost! Like, someone accidentally left it where it was, and now doesnt' know where it it?

suppose a CO could be the paranoid type and stick a label on a cache saying "if lost please return to...." :P

@OP - But yeh, only thing to do is either ignore him until he stops, and replace cache or archive it. It's all part of the maintenance side of placing a cache. making it premium or moving the spot slightly may help too.

Otherwise, buy a really powerful airsoft gun, message the guy saying its ok you've replaced the container, then just sit in the bushes and wait a few days or so.