What are the chances?

A quick story:

As a new guy to the caching world, on my first cach I had nothing to leave in the box, so I left my business card. Being in the car business, I thought it may help produce a lead. Well, little did I know, my company was having a promotion with local radio station that every morning they would give out clues to a set of keys to a brand new Toyota Corolla that had been hidden somewhere in the city of Birmingham, AL. I reacieved a call from a gentleman who explained that I didnt know him but that he was a faithful listener of this radio station and the clues had sent him to the same area where this cache was hidden. He found the cache (and he most have looked over every inch of this park to find the cache) and inside of this cache was my business card...the same company that had hidden keys. Initially, he was over joyed that he thought he had found the keys....until he read everything in the cache box and put one and one together to realise it was just a coincidence.

I got a kick out of it and assured I had no idea where the keys were hidden(or did I) and I wished him luck in finding them.

Just a funny story I thought I would share.

I think it is commercial. Or at least "commercial". There is a log supplied to record your name, website, any info you care to put down in writing. Cards do nothing but clutter up the cache.

Here in the San Diego area, there's a certain cacher who apparently makes business cards for a living, so he leaves his "geocacher" card in every cache to try to drum up business. icon_mad.gif That detracts from the enjoyment, for me. I have half a mind to remove them.

quote:
Originally posted by Tradboy:

I think it is commercial. Or at least "commercial". There is a log supplied to record your name, website, any info you care to put down in writing. Cards do nothing but clutter up the cache.

I don't really see personal Geocaching cards as commercial, but I guess it depends on what sort of information it contains. I have one: it reads "Kouros has visited this cache!" followed by the "Let's go Geocaching" motto, and my email address. If it advertised a business, it would be a different matter, I guess.

I started doing cards as something a little different - at the timeI started, some people had stamps, some left bears, and so I figured I would leave a card - fitted nicely into a micro too, without taking up much space - and there weren't that many people who left them at the time.

Turns out, there's people who collect them! Cards have really taken off, and people trade for them. Fair play to them, is all I can say. icon_biggrin.gif

Cards aren't commercial IMHO, at least no more so than signing your name in a book.

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

"Here in the San Diego area, there's a certain cacher who apparently makes business cards for a living, so he leaves his "geocacher" card in every cache to try to drum up business."

If I'm thinking of the same person as you, he doesn't do that for a living although he said that he has an interest in the company. He generously offered a free order of cards if I was interested.

I do not know if we are thinking of the same person; I can not recall his name/handle. And I certainly meant nothing personal by it; he could be a great guy.

But in response to the previous two postings, I do not think that leaving a card is the same as leaving a note in the log. Perhaps it hinges on the statement by Kouros, "...there weren't that many people that left them at the time." I admit, I'm pretty new at this. But for the two months I've been doing it, I've been pretty active. I have come across several caches that are literally stuffed with cards, personal advertisements, taped advertisements, etc. Now maybe the personal "calling cards" are not in the same league as business advertisements, but I just can't help thinking, there's a log book, why not use that?

As for the calling cards being collected and traded for, I know nothing of this. If this is true, then maybe I can see value in it. However, I personally would see no redeeming value in collecting these.

Different strokes, etc. I suppose my "half a mind to remove them" has been changed, now that I see that at least one person enjoys them. I suppose I just won't make my own cards icon_razz.gif

I won't be making my own cards either. I just sign the log. And if I'm out caching with my girlfriend I usually have her sign the log for the both of us. (Can you say lazy? Laughs.) But I figure that as long as there's enough room there's no harm in people leaving their cache cards. Hmm, if I get around to placing a cache maybe I should include a card box so that they won't all be loose.

BTW-I just looked at your profile and I see why you've got Milkman Dan for your avatar.

Might I suggest getting a personalized stamp (or stamp of an animal/object that fits with your nickname)? When you can sign and stamp the log ;-)

Hmm, I wonder where I can get a stamp of an Elmo doll that looks like it's going insane ;-)

Edit: I just did a Google:stamp+custom and found plenty of places online that will make 'em with custom text... I suppose I shall have to check out some trinket type shops for an animal/object stamp.

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net

Personally I don't think leaving a personalized Item (card, button, magnet) Is commercial at all. I have a couple caches under my belt and I go after the personalized Items these days. Anybody can go to a doller store and pick up a few trinckets to put in caches but these people went out of their way to make or have something made to put in a cache. If It has their buisness on it I don't really think thats right but most things I find In my area are related to geocaching. The Items I find here in Oregon are really cool and I appreciate them a lot more then other peoples junk.

Don't hunt what you can't kill!

What do you do with all these great, interesting personalized cards? Take em home and put em on your desk? Sit at the cache for awhile and read through them?

The stamp of the log sounds cool. I did a cache today where someone "punched" a cat paw into one of the log pages. That was dope.

Well right now I don't do anything with that personalized stuff, but my plans are evil. The mags are on my fridge in the shop. When I first started caching I thought all the Items In the cache was really cool, then after a while I just put stuff In and don't take anything. I just like finding the cache mostly. Now let me ask you, what do you do with all the trinkets? After a while I bet you start putting in your logs TNLNSL.

Don't hunt what you can't kill!

Well, if you've been following the conversation, I never mentioned taking the trinkets. In fact, I don't usually take anything or leave anything. I'm also mostly interested in the log.

In the interest of defusing a (possibly imagined) hostile situation, I acknowledge that some people might find the personal cards interesting, a more graphic "who's been here" sort of thing. Myself, I prefer the logs. icon_biggrin.gif

I might be dumb, too, but i can't figure out TNLNSL. Took nothing, left nothing, ....?

quote:
Originally posted by Syn:

but leaving business cards is considered commercial and against the rules. Best if you dont have anything..to just leave a log.

Leaving a biz card isn't against the rules. It's like a signature item. I've seen worse GEO cards that people make. I consider them all cache clutter though and if they are wet or the cache is full I take them out ans assume that they have zero trade value.

If the cache is in good shape though I leave them be.

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by nullers:

Might be

Took Nothing

Left Nothing

Saw Leprechaun icon_biggrin.gif

Been there, done that

Leprechauns move silently and cannot easily be seen by muggles. That's one of the reasons we chose our team name. If you saw us caching, it must have been during hunting season when we wore our orange vests. Do you know how HARD it is for a Leprechaun to wear THAT hated color??

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.