Removing "Needs Maintenance Attribut" by "Edit Attributes"

6foot3

6.7. How do I remove the needs maintenance icon?

Once you have completed the required maintenance, post an "Owner Maintenance" log on the geocache page. You will find this option under "Log Your Visit." This will automatically remove the "Needs Maintenance" icon.

It is also possible to remove the “Needs Maintenace Attribut” by “Edit Attributs”. I think this should be debugged. Otherwise it would be very easy for bad cache owners to solve “their” problem.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards

6foot3

6.7. How do I remove the needs maintenance icon?

Once you have completed the required maintenance, post an "Owner Maintenance" log on the geocache page. You will find this option under "Log Your Visit." This will automatically remove the "Needs Maintenance" icon.

It is also possible to remove the “Needs Maintenace Attribut” by “Edit Attributs”. I think this should be debugged. Otherwise it would be very easy for bad cache owners to solve “their” problem.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards

6foot3

I don't see this as a problem. Any "bad" cache owner can just as easily post a bogus "Owner Maintenance" log.

Has this recently changed? I don't seem to be able to remove the 'maintenance' attribute icon anymore by editing attributes.

My guess is it's related to this:

The release also includes a healthy dose of bug squashing.

March 30 Release Notes

Aside from the stealthy aspects of Editing the Attributes, it's probably the same number of mouse clicks to just post a Maintenance Performed log entry. I think it also provides a better audit trail to have everything in full view, rather than going through the "backdoor" to correct the Attributes in that fashion.

Has this recently changed? I don't seem to be able to remove the 'maintenance' attribute icon anymore by editing attributes.

My guess is it's related to this:

The release also includes a healthy dose of bug squashing.

March 30 Release Notes

Aside from the stealthy aspects of Editing the Attributes, it's probably the same number of mouse clicks to just post a Maintenance Performed log entry. I think it also provides a better audit trail to have everything in full view, rather than going through the "backdoor" to correct the Attributes in that fashion.

I can say for sure that after we've gone out and done maintenance on some of our caches, logged the work done by using the "Owner Maintenance" option that it DOES NOT remove the red wrench. We've found that there are cachers who find it fun perhaps to log that a cache "Needs Maintenance".

Extra work and time chasing down caches that had bogus reports. We liked it when we could remove the Needs Maintenance in the Attributes. Seriously with all the other options we have in that drop down box being able to actually fix something easily seems a much better way to spend ones time.

If anyone out there has any other ideas on getting rid of that "monkey" red wrench would love to know it.

I can say for sure that after we've gone out and done maintenance on some of our caches, logged the work done by using the "Owner Maintenance" option that it DOES NOT remove the red wrench. We've found that there are cachers who find it fun perhaps to log that a cache "Needs Maintenance".

Extra work and time chasing down caches that had bogus reports. We liked it when we could remove the Needs Maintenance in the Attributes. Seriously with all the other options we have in that drop down box being able to actually fix something easily seems a much better way to spend ones time.

If anyone out there has any other ideas on getting rid of that "monkey" red wrench would love to know it.

You have two active caches with the "Needs Maintenance" flag. Neither of them have an "Owner Maintenance" log after the date of the "Needs Maintenance" log. Can you provide an example?

I always thought that removing the red wrench simply by editing the attributes was a very bad idea. Never understood why cache owners had that option.

If one is reading the emails they get as cache owners, the "needs maintenance" log isn't even needed.

"Bogus" reports? Here are the two active caches you own that still have "NM" attributes:

http://coord.info/GC2TMVV

The NM was logged back in January, and subsequent finders reported problems in their "found it" logs.

There has been no "owner maintenance" log posted after 15 January and the "red wrench" is still there, and still valid according to recent logs.

http://coord.info/GC4V5DH

Same situation. "Found it" logs report a problem, someone finally logs the appropriate "NM" log. Again, no "owner maintenance" log has been posted.

B.

"Bogus" reports? Here are the two active caches you own that still have "NM" attributes:

http://coord.info/GC2TMVV

The NM was logged back in January, and subsequent finders reported problems in their "found it" logs.

There has been no "owner maintenance" log posted after 15 January and the "red wrench" is still there, and still valid according to recent logs.

http://coord.info/GC4V5DH

Same situation. "Found it" logs report a problem, someone finally logs the appropriate "NM" log. Again, no "owner maintenance" log has been posted.

...and if the cache you logged the Owner Maintenance on isn't one of the above two caches, then it did successfully clear the Needs Maintenance attribute. Those are the only active caches of yours that have the attribute.