longest Multi?

wolf&mist

What's the longest distance for a multicache? I am currently working on one that will be 95 miles along a trail here in SC. We plan on biking the entire thing. This trail is not complete yet, when done it will be 450 miles. I hope to cache the whole thing.

Si quando audius mihi infremus, tum videlicet quoque tardus

I hope to post one in the next couple of weeks that has six micro caches between two towns. You find four in one direction and the remaining two on your return trip home. The total miles for the round trip between the two outer caches is 225 miles. This cache will be a dual cache in that you can start from either direction. I don't expect too many finders. I will post again once they are approved.

I dislike multis for this very reason. If I wanted to find 12 caches I would go look for 12 caches - not 1 cache 12 times icon_smile.gif

Just personal preference - and I have ended up doing all the multis that have shown up in our area - but when I travel I don't do any of the local multis because it does not make sense to have to drive all over creation to log just one find. I would rather hike a mile or two up a mountain than drive 30 miles around town.

Now a 'theme' multi that would follow a single path down a trail or bike path would be cool.

my 2 cents - and not worth that!

We have a multi-cache (two clues to find the third coordinate hidden cache) in our area that is themed along a mile or so of a trail system. It is perhaps the best cache puzzles I've solved and perhaps some of the most fun I've had geocaching. One that goes all over town, state or creation would be too much though, and probably not much fun.

In Spokane we have a yearly event called Bloomsday - it's a 10km run with many many participants. A group called Ghostly Tribe made a multi that followed the route taken by the runners - it's of course called "Bloomsday Runner" and is the most inventive multi I've seen. If you are ever in the area, let me know if you want to cache it - I'll help with the first waypoint.

Bloomsday Runner by Ghostly Tribe

T.

Cadence

(OddTodd and CheleBell)

FRS2,12GMRS22(WPXD965)

My 2 cents: if your multi will involve more than, say, 10 miles of driving/biking/hiking, post it as separate (virtual) caches, with some kind bonus cache at the end that you can only access with information you gathered during the other steps. I know of 2 of those type here in the SF Bay Area (the Solar System, and the Light Rail series). For the cache owner it's about the same amount of work to post, and the hunters get credit also when they do just part of the series.

I like P's suggestion...

I don't want to go out there and do a gazillion miles for something most of the time - although, there's one through the florida keys that's a tour of Jimmy Buffett related sites, so that's different...

I must say this, though... It could be worse.. I have a friend who has one with 19 different sets of coordinants... 1 is correct. 18 are totally fake.

quote:
Originally posted by wolf&mist:

What's the longest distance for a multicache? I am currently working on one that will be 95 miles along a trail here in SC. We plan on biking the entire thing. This trail is not complete yet, when done it will be 450 miles. I hope to cache the whole thing.

Si quando audius mihi infremus, tum videlicet quoque tardus

You wouldn't be talking about the Palmetto Trail would you? I hiked the 42 mile Swamp Fox section in March. Trip Report It was okay, I'd like to do the next section and see if it is any better though.

I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people in the world. I'm just saying we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.