Accidentley Finding Caches

Has anyone ever accidentley found a geocache that you were not looking for?

I have a cache that is hidden under the dash board of an old pickup truck. In Febuary I was trecking through the woods and found another old truck, and thought might be a good place to hide another cache as a sequal.

I finally got time to get back out there this past weekend with a new cache to hide. I searched around and in the old truck for a few minutes looking for a good hiding spot, and as I looked under the front fender, I saw a 30 cal ammo box staring at me. I was in shock! icon_redface.gif

Another time I was looking for a certain cache, and ended up finding a different cache located about 100 feet from the one I was looking for.

Take Care

Rocketman1

March 30th I was doing a rather long (5 hour) Micro Multi Cache and was searching with my sons and a fabulous viewpoint.

Suddenly my son and I both called out

quote:
found it
at the same time. What was weird is that he was 20 feet from me.

It seems two different geocachers wanted to show off this viewpoint. The cache my son found was fairly new.

The second cacher was not really at fault because the web site doesn’t show the intermediate waypoints in a multi. We had a good laugh over it.

Marcus

That is a good story, calling out "Found It" at the same time. That will probably never happen again. (And I thought my story was good.)

I have only been caching since last fall, and find it amazing as to how many caches there are in my area. Many of them are not placed very well though, you probably no the kind. Many of the caches seem to be placed without much thought.

And if I would have placed a cache in that location by the other cache, then my cache would have been no better. Shame, shame on me. Live and learn I guess.

Take Care

Rocketman1

quote:
Originally posted by MarcusArelius:

March 30th I was doing a rather long (5 hour) http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=12729 and was searching with my sons and a fabulous viewpoint.

Suddenly my son and I both called out

quote:
found it
at the same time. What was weird is that he was 20 feet from me.

It seems two different geocachers wanted to show off this http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=58628&log=y&decrypt=. The cache my son found was fairly new.

The second cacher was not really at fault because the web site doesn’t show the intermediate waypoints in a multi. We had a good laugh over it.

Marcus

I recently hid a cache. You could only find the cache if you found token with the co-ordinance.

the first to find a token(the only out there at the time) had trouble. i went out to re-spot. turns out there was another cacher looking randomly for my cache and he spotted me and got f2f without the token. The logs were all very funny.

quote:

It's my therapy that is keeping you alive. Now give me back my meds.

I've done it on two separate occasions. Most recently I was researching placement for a new cache and found what I thought was going to be a great spot. I started looking for the best spot when under a tree I found a cache. It was a triangulation cache so its position doesn't show up on the map. I had to find another spot. After I claimed a find on the cache I found of course. icon_smile.gif

--

Not Necessarily Interesting News

yEP wELL kIND OF I happen to come across a letter box after looking for a cache for 3 hours...I was siked, I thought I had finally found the dang cache, even though it looked nothing like the cache box...I still haven't found that cache after 3 tries.......

Do you get funny looks from co-workers -when you say your going into the woods with a 200$ gadet to find kids toys?

See You In the Woods!!!

Natureboy1376

While working on a multi in the Worcester MA, I tripped over the Our Town cache which had not been added to website. It had been logged by only one team, the cache owner of the multi. That team also found it by accident and have mentioned it on the forums. It has been about 6 months, but it has never been activated. The funny thing is that now there is a third cache at the site, so three containers are within 50 feet of each other.

Also in Worcester, while looking for a different multiple, I found a part of yet another multiple that has been temporaily disabled for over a year. It turns out the same team has placed both of these inactive caches.

On two other occasions, we have located letterboxes while searching for caches in Rhode Island.

Val (May be late, but always on time.)

One of my recent finds was a lucky accident. I knew this one was attached to a bridge girder with magnets, but I had no idea which girder, or which side of the bridge it was on. Both sides of the bridge are accessible with sidewalks. i searched and searched and couldn't find the cache, so ended up going home empty handed. I went out of my way to drive across the bridge on my way home from work, hoping I might spot the cache. Then one day when I wasn't looking for it I got stuck in traffic on the bridge. Traffic was bumper to bumper and stop and go. At one point I had come to a stop, looked out my window, and there was the cache! What a lucky accident! It's not accessible from the street, so I came back later on foot to write in the log and leave some trinkets.

A cacher in my area made a traditional cache and a multi cache that led to the same final cache. I had no idea that the two were together. Well on the way there to find the traditional I found the cache floating in the river. However only the name of the multi stage was on it. I then spent 30 or so minutes looking for the cache with the cache under my arm. That was the worst. I did get to log both though.

I placed out a couple of micros for a three part multi, but was waiting to post because another cacher was working on a cache in the park. When his multi got posted, I noticed that one of my steps was <.1 mi so I went to move the micro. I went to pick it up, his final cache was 6 inches away in the same tree hole.

SKREE

Never found one by accident, or perhaps some would say they all are since I don't own or use a GPS. But I got into the hobby because a friend stumbled upon one while on a lunch hour jog near his office in Orlando. We both Orienteer, so using just the map to find the geocache is great training and more fun than going for a run just to sweat.

The funniest accidental find over here is when the Two navigators were doing 'The Hills are alive', and they mistakenly found 'WGC by Pepperway' which was placed there the day before and had not even been posted. They waited for it to appear on the site and logged their find. The fasted first find I've ever seen<grin>... (kinda)

I hear it was one of those things where, as a cacher, you see a neat hiding spot. You go check it out, maybe to place a cache of your own one day and 'voila'... Someone already had(like the opening of this thread).