Up for adoption. !

EXMAN

"Up for adoption"

This phrase brings up an issue in the TB world, as it's a post i'd like to see here all the time.

I've been spending some time in the Geocoins forum, and over there, when cachers lose interest in their coins, quit caching or die,(same thing in that case i guess),their coins are most likely sold.

In the case of TBs, they're probably gone for good. They're never sold, as they really have no dollar value, and almmost never would someone have the forsight to adopt them out to someone who would love to have them.

So, imagine an elderly person with over 1000 TBs in his inventory.

It's inevitable that he'll stop caching, and unless he thinks that there might be someone out there interested in adopting them, 'poof' they're gone.

i'll bet that there are tens of thousands of these out there.

Thoughts?

It's a case by case situation. One that only the owner of the trackable can answer. If I died, I would want my remaining trackables to continue to travel in my name, to carry on for as long as they could. I would not want a stranger to take them over as their own. Who knows, they might end up deleting the old logs, wiping out my little memorial. Kind of a moot point anyway, as most if the trackables in my player account are now missing anyway. And no. I'm not even considering adopting the numbers out.

It's a case by case situation. One that only the owner of the trackable can answer. If I died, I would want my remaining trackables to continue to travel in my name, to carry on for as long as they could. I would not want a stranger to take them over as their own. Who knows, they might end up deleting the old logs, wiping out my little memorial. Kind of a moot point anyway, as most if the trackables in my player account are now missing anyway. And no. I'm not even considering adopting the numbers out.

and what if you had a large coin collection.

you activated them all and sent out a proxy for each one.

you get sick and know you're dying.

none of your next of kin cache, and they don't have a clue what a geocoin is.

would you....

A....just die and let your kin folk throw them away.

B....make plans to 'gift' them on to a geocaching friend.

If you choose 'B' would you let your friend....

A... adopt them so they can enjoy your gift in whatever way they choose.

B....not let them adopt them. say "here's my gift to you, but don't do anything with them. please just put them in a drawer to gather dust."

i don't feel comfortable in these forums.

i think i'll just leave before i get spanked for speaking my mind

If I had a large coin collection, and I died, I would want my heirs to sell my coins to help pay any after death expenses. And take any left over $$ and throw a big party in my memory. As a matter of fact, I do have a bunch of coins I should add to my will. None of my heirs would want them, or know what to do with them.

Edited by Eartha

If I had a large coin collection, and I died, I would want my heirs to sell my coins to help pay any after death expenses. And take any left over $$ and throw a big party in my memory. As a matter of fact, I do have a bunch of coins I should add to my will. None of my heirs would want them, or know what to do with them.

are any of your coins activated, with proxys out there?

and you would want them sold to a stranger that might even delete previous logs.

i can accept negativity from joe blow forum member, but it's hard to swallow from a moderator.

maybe you guys should moderate under one name and post under another.

you're right that it's everyone's right to make their own decision RE their trackables.

But i have a valid argument here.

most people don't have a will of any kind, so they certainly haven't thought about passing on their TBs.

So my thought of adopting out TBs when you're getting out of the game for WHAT EVER reason is not something to throw barbs at.

there are tens of thousands of trackables out there waiting to 'get back in the game' and the only people with a valid argument against this would/should be those making money off of selling new ones.

Eartha is expressing an opinion. I saw nothing negative in it, and nothing directed at the OP personally. In a discussion thread we must be receptive to those who hold opinions different from our own. If you only talk to people who agree with you, you'll never learn anything. :)

I didn't see any negativity there.

For my collection (of both TB's, patches, and coins), I'd love to see them travel on in my name. They are assembled in a handy book to take to events, and I'd love to see them keep being discovered. The problem with adoption is that you give up all rights to them. I had this issue with some caches I adopted out before I moved. I gave up all right and credits to them, so although I put them out and spent in some cases years doing maintenance on them, they don't give me any credit towards my hide count any longer. With these coins that outlasted me, I'd want some one who saw it to at least think of me, not whoever happen to have them at the moment.

I think it's a valid question

Personally, if I was in that position, I would want to pass them on to someone who enjoys Geocaching as much as I do. I would probably make plans to 'gift' them and then let that person adopt them; kind of like any item left in a will. Just my two cents.

By the way if you're looking for someont to 'gift' them to, I would take very good care of them :grin:

Edited by RagnoJr

are any of your coins activated, with proxys out there?

and you would want them sold to a stranger that might even delete previous logs.

i can accept negativity from joe blow forum member, but it's hard to swallow from a moderator.

maybe you guys should moderate under one name and post under another.

you're right that it's everyone's right to make their own decision RE their trackables.

But i have a valid argument here.

most people don't have a will of any kind, so they certainly haven't thought about passing on their TBs.

So my thought of adopting out TBs when you're getting out of the game for WHAT EVER reason is not something to throw barbs at.

there are tens of thousands of trackables out there waiting to 'get back in the game' and the only people with a valid argument against this would/should be those making money off of selling new ones.

I think you should be able to donate your TB's at any time, in case of this question I would say give them to people who come closest to what you would like to have done with them. If you want them to travel on with the logs intact then give them to somebody who would respect that wish :anicute:

When you think of it it is a shame that there are TB's out there which have no owners any more, I had never thought of that! And I think it is even a greater shame that people who are not related, or befriended to the deceased are making money on that!! But that is my opinion :anitongue: