Do I hide first, then submit to Groundspeak?

emucacher62

When you submit your cache page for review, your cache should be in place. Sometimes they are published within minutes!

If there are any problems, the reviewer will disable your cache, rather than publishing and give you time to fix whatever was wrong with it.

Thank you! I just found the page with the information, but your reply helps. Now if I could just get a reply from Parks and Rec!

Go ahead and start your cache listing page with your rough coordinates. Just don't check the Submit box yet. This will do two things for you....first, once you have started a listing that location will be "reserved" for you, so to speak, while you refine your ccoodinates (you should get several readings and average them for best accuracy), design the cache page, fix up your container, secure your permission from the Parks dept., etc., and no one will come and take your spot.

Second, as soon as you start a cache listing, the system will assign it a GC code. You may want to label your container or log book with the GC code number of the cache, so you'll have that.

Finally, when all is like you want it (good coordinates, listing page looking like you want it, etc., and the cache is in place and ready to be found), check the "Submit for Review" box. It may be published within minutes (not likely) or maybe a couple of days (very likely), but should be less than a week.

Remember, the cache doesn't go into your reviewer's queue (and therefore they don't see it) until you check the Submit box.

Edited by Chief301

I'd say that the first thing you do is find, or at least be aware of, the existing caches in the area >>> then scout for a new location, paying attention to the distance of your proposed cache location from existing caches. The commonest reason for new caches NOT to be published is that they are too near existing caches.

You can put your proposed cache coordinates into the latitude longitude boxes on Hide and Seek a cache, and see a list of nearby caches. If you see

a physical cache within .1 mile, find a new location.

Hide and Seek a cache page http://www.geocaching.com/seek/

The cache saturation guideline http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#cachesaturation

Here's a link to a Knowledge Book Article on using the available tools on Geocaching.com to avoid being too near an existing cache. http://support.Groundspeak.com//index.php?pg=kb.page&id=199

Good luck with the park department!

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Thank you everyone. My biggest problem now is that the city parks website shows regulations stating "no traditional caches" only virtual or micro, yet there are tons of traditional caches in these parks. Did they get permission? I am going to give P&R a call...Also, I wanted to place it in a fairly touristy region(easy to find here), hoping the TB will travel quickly and I want a good number of caches in the vicinity so my girls will have fun finding as well as placing their cache. Just a thought, should I post it under my name or my troop's? Hmm...beginning to be overwhelmed. :blink: So excited about doing this with my troop tho'!

Be careful about placing it in a "touristy" area and "easy to find"....if you place a larger cache (big enough to hold travel bugs) in a high traffic area it might be accidentally found by muggles. Even if they don't stumble across it by accident, a cacher retrieving a Small or Regular sized cache will be spotted by the "tourists" who will naturally want to go check what that box was you were putting back in the bush. Sooner or later, if the cache itself doesn't get stolen the cool travel bugs inside surely will. You can label it "Official Geocache, Return As Found" all you want, that won't mean a thing if someone decides they want it.

Just consider the hiding spot carefully....away from muggle eyes is better.

It sounds to me like the department developed those guidelines all on their own, without any input or assistance from a local geocaching association. When they use the term "traditional", they actually mean "classic", not the cache type "Traditional". What they're trying to avoid is a muggle finding an ammo can or camo-taped plastic box and calling it in as a suspicious package. Unfortunately, that pretty much kills any chance of you putting out a cache large enough to hold trackables. Also, when they state that virtual caches are allowed, that obviously can't include any new Virtual-type caches. EarthCaches are still a possibility, though.

Also note that it says "New caches that conform to the above guidelines do not require prior approval from Parks Staff." If the cache you're placing meets their guidelines, there's no need to wait for a response from them. Just go ahead and place it.

It sounds like they are a little confused, as micros are traditionals and can't publish virtuals anymore. At any rate, they've said you can hide micros so, proximity permitting, looks like you can go ahead. However, your girls probably won't be too impressed with the size and certainly there is no room for trackables.

Here is the webpage with the geocache rules.

GEOCACHING GUILDELINES FOR CITY PARKS & OPEN SPACE AREAS

COLORADO SPRINGS, COLORADO

In response to the growing sport of geocaching, the City of Colorado Springs Parks, Recreation & Cultural Services Department has implemented a set of guidelines that works to allow certain activities and/or caches, and at the same time limits the risk of unattended, closed containers being left in the park system. The two main concerns of the Parks Department are: 1) The traditional cache, or large physical container associated with geocaching, and; 2) any activity that promotes off-trail hiking.

· Traditional caches: Traditional caches (ammo cans, Tupperware containers, boxes, etc.) are not permitted in any park or open space within the jurisdiction of the City of Colorado Springs. If a traditional cache is discovered, the team responsible for placing the cache will be contacted via email, along with a letter and copy of the geocache guidelines. Teams will then have a two week period to remove the cache. If the cache is not removed within two weeks, Parks Staff will dispose of the cache.

· Micro caches: Certain micro caches are permitted in parks and open spaces within the jurisdiction of the City of Colorado Springs. The micro caches allowed include any clear plastic ID card holders (wallet-sized) and small containers basically the size of chap-stick tubes. Micro caches must be placed on or directly adjacent to a designated trail.

· Virtual caches: Virtual caches are permitted in parks and open spaces within the jurisdiction of the City of Colorado Springs. Please post the coordinates for a virtual cache on a designated trail. (Palmer Park & Ute Valley Park offer great rock formations and views for virtual caches.)

· Tags and post-its: Tags are permitted in parks and open spaces within the jurisdiction of the City of Colorado Springs. Tags are most common in association with multi-caches, and are simply laminated or metal tags with coordinates, clues or other text listed on them. As with micro or virtual caches, please locate the tag on a designated trail. (Existing trail signage is a good place to post these, as long as the tag does not damage or obscure the sign.) Tying the tag to a tree with string, wire or plastic is OK, as long as the tree is not damaged in the process. Nailing, stapling, or tacking tags to trees is prohibited.

Geocache Events: If a team wishes to host a one-day event, geocaches will be permitted (including traditional caches), as long as the caches are placed on designated trails the same day as the event, and are picked up immediately after the event. The containers should be clearly marked with the date and name of the team and/or event. The hosting team must supervise the event in a manner that minimizes the chance an outside group or person might tamper with the caches throughout the event.

Parks Staff will continue to monitor any new caches. New caches that conform to the above guidelines do not require prior approval from Parks Staff.

If you or your team has questions, please contact the Parks, Recreation & Cultural Services Department at 385-5940 or email CityParks@springsgov.com.

Well, they might just as well say Geocaches are not permitted in City Parks. The only types of caches allowed (not including virtual or temporary caches which will not be published on geocaching.com) are micros--and micro stages of multis--that are placed so that it is not necessary to step off of an official trail. How long will those last, huh? :(

I found a park that will allow me to place the cache! It is not run by the same city park listed previously. The lady was very happy that I asked as no one has ever asked for permission. (And there are several in this park.) I will have to move it to a different location in 6 months within the park to assure there is not too much disruption to the foliage around the cache. I understand their concern. Colorado is beautiful and I want it to stay that way too. Most of the caches I have seen in the parks are no where near the trail and we are supposed to be good to the environment! I love geocaching but let us not destroy the beauty we came to these parks to enjoy. Now that I have asked, this park is going to be requiring cachers to fill out a form before placing a cache. (sorry neighbor cachers!)

Thanks for all the help, Everyone! Cache on! :D

I found a park that will allow me to place the cache! It is not run by the same city park listed previously. The lady was very happy that I asked as no one has ever asked for permission. (And there are several in this park.) I will have to move it to a different location in 6 months within the park to assure there is not too much disruption to the foliage around the cache. I understand their concern. Colorado is beautiful and I want it to stay that way too. Most of the caches I have seen in the parks are no where near the trail and we are supposed to be good to the environment! I love geocaching but let us not destroy the beauty we came to these parks to enjoy. Now that I have asked, this park is going to be requiring cachers to fill out a form before placing a cache. (sorry neighbor cachers!)

Cache permanence???

Here is the webpage with the geocache rules.

GEOCACHING GUILDELINES FOR CITY PARKS & OPEN SPACE AREAS

COLORADO SPRINGS, COLORADO

In response to the growing sport of geocaching, the City of Colorado Springs Parks, Recreation & Cultural Services Department has implemented a set of guidelines that works to allow certain activities and/or caches, and at the same time limits the risk of unattended, closed containers being left in the park system. The two main concerns of the Parks Department are: 1) The traditional cache, or large physical container associated with geocaching, and; 2) any activity that promotes off-trail hiking.

· Traditional caches: Traditional caches (ammo cans, Tupperware containers, boxes, etc.) are not permitted in any park or open space within the jurisdiction of the City of Colorado Springs. If a traditional cache is discovered, the team responsible for placing the cache will be contacted via email, along with a letter and copy of the geocache guidelines. Teams will then have a two week period to remove the cache. If the cache is not removed within two weeks, Parks Staff will dispose of the cache.

· Micro caches: Certain micro caches are permitted in parks and open spaces within the jurisdiction of the City of Colorado Springs. The micro caches allowed include any clear plastic ID card holders (wallet-sized) and small containers basically the size of chap-stick tubes. Micro caches must be placed on or directly adjacent to a designated trail.

· Virtual caches: Virtual caches are permitted in parks and open spaces within the jurisdiction of the City of Colorado Springs. Please post the coordinates for a virtual cache on a designated trail. (Palmer Park & Ute Valley Park offer great rock formations and views for virtual caches.)

· Tags and post-its: Tags are permitted in parks and open spaces within the jurisdiction of the City of Colorado Springs. Tags are most common in association with multi-caches, and are simply laminated or metal tags with coordinates, clues or other text listed on them. As with micro or virtual caches, please locate the tag on a designated trail. (Existing trail signage is a good place to post these, as long as the tag does not damage or obscure the sign.) Tying the tag to a tree with string, wire or plastic is OK, as long as the tree is not damaged in the process. Nailing, stapling, or tacking tags to trees is prohibited.

Geocache Events: If a team wishes to host a one-day event, geocaches will be permitted (including traditional caches), as long as the caches are placed on designated trails the same day as the event, and are picked up immediately after the event. The containers should be clearly marked with the date and name of the team and/or event. The hosting team must supervise the event in a manner that minimizes the chance an outside group or person might tamper with the caches throughout the event.

Parks Staff will continue to monitor any new caches. New caches that conform to the above guidelines do not require prior approval from Parks Staff.

If you or your team has questions, please contact the Parks, Recreation & Cultural Services Department at 385-5940 or email CityParks@springsgov.com.

Well, they might just as well say Geocaches are not permitted in City Parks. The only types of caches allowed (not including virtual or temporary caches which will not be published on geocaching.com) are micros--and micro stages of multis--that are placed so that it is not necessary to step off of an official trail. How long will those last, huh? :(

A park system that advocates cheap leaky micros? Reminds me of a song by R.E.M.

Cache permanence???

Cache permanence is typically three months.

Somethings been bugging me since I saw this. When you submit a cache for review don't you check a box to say that it's in place?

The description of the process given earlier is slightly confusing. Technically, there are two submits. One is to the website to create the listing in the database and one is to the reviewer. There is a checkbox that says "Enable cache listing. It is ready for review. (If the listing is not yet ready to be reviewed, uncheck this box.) Note: Only 'Enabled' cache listings are visible to the reviewer."

If you check this box while creating the page and then click "Report New Listing", you are submitting it to the database and to the reviewer. If you do not check the box, then you are only submitting it to the database. This creates your page and allows you to further work on it until everything is ready. Later, when everything is ready, you go back and click that box and then click, "Submit Changes" and it will be submitted to the reviewer for review.

The process has recently been streamlined as you can simply pull up your cache page when it it ready and there is now a "Submit for Review" button at the top that makes the process easier.