TB stamp - How does it work?

giocatore

Hello,

I've got myself a TB stamp and have already activated it.

Let's say that I use the stamp on 3 (or way more) different cards that I spread in different caches as I find them, so that users can discover the stamp or retrieve it and drop it somewhere else.

Imagine stamp 1 arrives in a cache in Germany, stamp 2 in a cache in the US, stamp 3 in a cache in Spain. Stamp 1 got dropped the latest, so the website displays Germany as last seen location for this TB.

What if a user retrieves the TB in Spain but, when trying to log it at the Spanish cache's site, he can't find it in the inventory, as it is known to be in Germany? Would he just "grab" it from Germany and log it in the Spanish cache?

On a side note, isn't it considered "cheating" to have a stamped TB that travels enormous distances just by getting logged in Spain and in Germany without actually travelling, or doesn't it matter at all whether accumulated distance is more or less honestly earned?

I'd appreciate your answers to these probably quite basic questions - I've less than 30 caches "old", I still have to learn a lot ;)

Thanks!

Alex

There should only be one copy of a travel bug number in circulation at a time.

While users "get away" with using TB stamps, they can and do get shut down when brought to Groundspeak's attention.

Thanks for your answer, this makes sense indeed!

So the main advantage of stamps is not that you can spread stamped bugs around at the same time, but that you can "recover" a stolen, damaged or lost TB at no cost, right?

Can I sign (in addition to my username) in logbooks using the stamp to be discovered, or is the answer the same as before, just one single location at a time? I guess that is the case, I'm just asking to make sure because I remember having seen an ad for such stamps where they tell you that you can/should use your TB stamp in logbooks too. But of course, they want to sell their stamps, so they try to make them look as useful as possible...

Edited by alexhager

I am guessing you bought it here http://shop.geostuff.com.au/products/travelbug-stamp-to-go or some such similar shop.

It looks like this seller has no knowledge of if he has knowledge no concern for the guidelines. He says you should stamp everything in site so it can be discovered. A clear violation of guidelines which require a finder/discoverer to actually be in the presence of the traveler and that there only be one.

The risk here for the OP is that someone will notice all the false logs and report it to the froggie who willl lock that number to prevent any future logs.

I guess being from "down under" he looks at the guidelines upside down.

Lastly TB numbers stamped on cards will probably never be moved since that aren't real. They would probably just be discovered.

Edited by Walts Hunting

I am guessing you bought it here http://shop.geostuff.com.au/products/travelbug-stamp-to-go or some such similar shop.

It looks like this seller has no knowledge of if he has knowledge no concern for the guidelines. He says you should stamp everything in site so it can be discovered. A clear violation of guidelines which require a finder/discoverer to actually be in the presence of the traveler and that there only be one.

The risk here for the OP is that someone will notice all the false logs and report it to the froggie who willl lock that number to prevent any future logs.

I guess being from "down under" he looks at the guidelines upside down.

Lastly TB numbers stamped on cards will probably never be moved since that aren't real. They would probably just be discovered.

The only suggestion on that page that I would slightly consider using would be to make myself trackable, but you can get a name tag for that, way cheaper. Holiday cards, business cards, signature items?! No way!

I have a travel tag on my gpsr that I visit in every cache I find, and I've ordered a name tag for events, but I would never leave a tracking number in a cache, unless it's on a trackable.

Your discovery certainly surprised me. When the CO started this thread, I thought he might be misusing a TB that was intended for anyone finding it to stamp the number in their notes instead of having to copy it by hand. That seemed almost reasonable. But from the page you pointed us to, you are clearly correct that the intention is to stamp things so that they themselves are discoverable, which makes no sense at all. I'm leaning towards thinking that the person writing the ad copy didn't understand the intended purpose of whoever create the stamping TB.

The only suggestion on that page that I would slightly consider using would be to make myself trackable

That's kind of neat. Make a tattoo stamp when you don't want a permanent tattoo. Except that an ink stamp makes a lousy tattoo. Temporary tattoos designed like decals work a little better.

Since a Trackable can accrue hundreds of fake Visits with no issue, why can't Groundspeak allow TOs to use Tracking Numbers as they wish? Why the threat of locking it, when the number is being used as the TO intends? Whatever Groundspeak's problem is, it's not an issue of excessive logs. Have an option to make it published numbers, discover only, and maybe no mileage, just make map points when the number is discovered.

Edited by kunarion

I didn't realize you were an anarchist (someone who thinks their should be no rules/laws) and everyone can conduct themselves how they want.

Actually they can't accrue hundreds of fake visits with no issue. Each one is a violation of the guidelines and can be cause to have it locked.

This hobby has guidelines/rules and if the TO doesn't want to comply you need some method.

As to whether or not GC should change its policy that could be an issue raised with them for public discussion but until it is changed owners have to live with them.

You hear the same argument about the 528 rule.

I know a few people who have made themselves trackable by carrying a TB all the time (several have them tied to their shoe laces) and mention it at gatherings. Some have even gotten tattoos.

Edited by Walts Hunting

I didn't realize you were an anarchist.

I thought the goatee and beret would have been a clue. :surprise:

they can't accrue hundreds of fake visits with no issue. Each one is a violation of the guidelines and can be cause to have it locked.

The TOs who come here asking how some c:Zero cacher could rack up 500 "visits" when the coin was lost months ago, will be thrilled to hear that. :yikes:

Edited by kunarion

When's the last time you've known of a traveler being locked down? I'm not saying it hasn't happened recently, but I am curious.

Never. But when some subject has come up, I've also never read "Your TB could be locked for that, until recently". :P

Edited by kunarion

When's the last time you've known of a traveler being locked down? I'm not saying it hasn't happened recently, but I am curious.

Never. But when some subject has come up, I've also never read "Your TB could be locked for that, until recently". :P

I've submitted and have seen the bug locked down. Now I say, why bother? This isn't my site. I don't get paid.

I have seen a couple that were brought up here that have gotten locked. They get mentioned and i watch them to see what happens. Usually the powers aske the owner to delete all false logs and if they don't comply it gets locked. I don't know if is the TB goddess Eartha that does it or someone else but it does happen.

The hysterically funny one was a new topic posted by a noob who asked every one to go visit his new virtual TB. He didn't last long.

04/15/2011: Project Clone™

That's evidence that two years ago, it was still possible for TBs to be "locked":

Creating clones of trackable items is misuse and this one has spun so far out of control that it must be locked.

It seems kind of arbitrary.

Edited by kunarion