Buyers remorse / Empty Nest

Rabid_Dingo

How long does it take to get over that feeling of pride and ownership of something that you are willingly

sending out to the world. My kids and I went to a GPS Maze exhibit and bought a coin to send out. We

wanted to find the "right" cache and feel we did. But I'm feeling contradicting emotions. Anticipation

of living vicariously through the coin and remorse for buying such an item and just "giving it up". I

know better, and eventually it should come home, but does it get easier? B)

Yes it does get easier as soon as the first cacher submits a really storylog and it does get even better as soon as the first picture has been uploaded. and do not forget about the feeling u get when the coin males a jump over one of the ponds and resurfaces on another continent :)

So do not worry, u will love it :)

BUT: It´s almost certain that it will get lost at one point unfortunately...

Everyone has echoed some of my thoughts. I asked my wife

if I should have tossed it around the asphalt a bit first. :lol:

I drilled holes in some of mine and they still went missing. In fact I wondered if someone was so mad that I did it that they literally threw them in the garbage.

Everyone has echoed some of my thoughts. I asked my wife

if I should have tossed it around the asphalt a bit first. :lol:

Scratching, drilling, etc does not seem to have any 'certain' effect on a coin's longevity.

My SO is the coin addict and has had reasonable success with continued coin travels. One thing that does seem to help is to make it into a 'travel package'.

Before we release any coin it is placed in (or left in it's original plastic flip protector). I have a hole punch and I make a hole in the corner of the flip case. We also bought a laminator (but you can also buy the self-sealing type) and create a mission / goal card to laminate and attach with a very small zip-tie to the hole in the coin protector. We put the coin (or TB) in a small zip-bag, usually the 3x5" variety, available at most hobby/craft stores.

Sure, it's a WHOLE LOT more work, but it seems to have kept them in circulation a lot longer than others that we read about. NOTHING will protect you from disrespectful finders who turn coins into keepers, nor will it help when a finder quits caching and keeps it or just plain loses it. The travel package also helps finders know what the mission or goal is when they find it and cannot log into GC.com immediately. It also helps the 'newbie' when they find a coin in a cache with no instructions and just 'assume' it is THEIR treasure to keep.

Happy travels to your coin.

Next time, consider purchasing a 'proxy' to travel and the original to keep safe. Proxy tags can be made/ordered very inexpensively with the same tracking ID as the coin. Then if/when the proxy goes MIA, it can be replaced easily to put back into circulation.

My solution is:

Release a lot of travelers.

That way you loose track of any single one of them and you are really happy (and even sometimes surprised) to get a log for them.

I've come to fancy those travel tags, which have their own icon (for those icon hunters), but are cheap aluminium tags like the TBs and are thereforth less likely to be kept.

I don't really check on my travelers, there are some 70 or 80 out there. I don't have so much spare time on my hands to keep track of where they exactly are...

But I tremendously enjoy the logs and stories with them.

Coins are like hot air ballons. You can choose a good starting point, but you can't controll the journey.

Don't ever send something out there, which you don't want to loose. Just enjoy the incoming logs.

About 2 yrs ago, I stopped sending out the original coin since they generally come up missing. I adopted one from the Czech Republic it traveled to South Africa for a time. A cacher picked it up added so miles on it & then one day it was never logged after that.

I emailed the Cacher about it 5 times & NEVER heard anything back from him at all. If fact he just recently logged a cache about 2 days ago. I got a proxy for it & placed in the cache located right outside my front door for the cacher.

Since then any coins I have bought are with me or proxies are sent out.

Edited by emtfire10