Hiding on a bridge

SkipMorrow

There's a tall bridge in my neighborhood (tall enough for tankers and very large ships to pass under). The bridge has a very safe pedestrian walkway (Jersey barriers on each side, high railings). Is there any reason a geocache could not be placed at the top? I think it would be a good one because it would only be accessible by walking up this quite long and high bridge. But if it is against any rules, then obviously I will reconsider.

Safety is not the issue, permission is.

Even at that -- from the placement guidelines:

The cache is problematic due to its proximity to a public structure, including and not limited to, highway bridges, dams, government buildings, schools, military installations, hospitals, airports and other such locations.

Given the bolded portion of the guidelines, such a cache probably would not be published. One crossing a navigable waterway, I think not!

The cache is problematic due to its proximity to a public structure, including and not limited to, highway bridges, dams, government buildings, schools, military installations, hospitals, airports and other such locations.

Given the bolded portion of the guidelines, such a cache probably would not be published. One crossing a navigable waterway, I think not!

GC1Y9Q1 (I just realise it's now archived) was placed on a pedestrian walkway on a 4-lane bridge high above a major shipping lane. Walkways on both sides; make sure you get on the correct side or it's 1-2 km walk just to get to the correct side.

Anyway it may vary per country (Hong Kong is definitely not the paranoid USA) but no problems here with this micro on the bridge.

This is a public footpath, by the way. Not a maintenance access or anything like it.

Depends on how the cache is placed...I have a bridge hide. It is under the bridge where it meets the ground. you are not in traffic, there is a flat walkway and guardrails at the bottom if you happen to fall and go all the way down you won't go into traffic on the highway either. I had to tell my reviewer these things before it was published. At the same time if I was to place a cache on the 4 lane narrow highway bridge over the river with no pedestrian walkway-it would not be allowed. Some reviewers may allow it others may not allow any such hides. Why don't you send your reviewer a message asking?

GC1Y9Q1 (I just realise it's now archived) was placed on a pedestrian walkway on a 4-lane bridge high above a major shipping lane. Walkways on both sides; make sure you get on the correct side or it's 1-2 km walk just to get to the correct side.

Also from the placement guidelines:

"Please be advised that there is no precedent for placing geocaches. This means that the past publication of a similar geocache in and of itself is not a valid justification for the publication of a new geocache."

Anyway it may vary per country (Hong Kong is definitely not the paranoid USA) but no problems here with this micro on the bridge.

This is a public footpath, by the way. Not a maintenance access or anything like it.

Although laws and regulations may vary in country, the guidelines are written such that the apply globally. They can't really have a guideline which states "caches can not be placed on a highway bridge, unless you live in Hong Kong".