Events in weekly newsletter

Medulove

In last newsletter is in section Upcoming events about 180 events in range cca 300 km during next months.

Sometimes, this list is so long, that recent geocaches are not visible, because mesage was truncated by gmail.

It would be better, if we have posiibility to switch some options for displayed events

- range

- state

- time

e.g. I would like to see only events in my region, not about events in foreign countries or on the other end of my country.

I've never seen events or caches in locations as far as the other side of the country-except for MEGA events, but that list is on the left, not near the recently published caches. You as a premium Member can set up notifications for new events and caches in your region. You will get notified the second a new cache or event is published-that means you won't have to wait for a week to see it in the newsletter.

I would very much like to configure the search radius for events in the weekly newsletter. Currently, I scan the distances in the list, and otherwise ignore most of them because they're too far away.

Interesting - long ago they restricted events listed to within 50 miles of your home coordinates - there was an outcry in the forums that events are special enough that many Geocachers will travel to go to them - the distance was upped to 200 miles. I'll see if I can find the thread....

Meanwhile - maybe it is time for something more customized.

I've never seen events or caches in locations as far as the other side of the country-except for MEGA events, but that list is on the left, not near the recently published caches. You as a premium Member can set up notifications for new events and caches in your region. You will get notified the second a new cache or event is published-that means you won't have to wait for a week to see it in the newsletter.

I think that your country is quit a bit wider that the OP's

:)

I think that your country is quit a bit wider that the OP's

:)

I think my province is bigger. HAHA MINES BIGGER :laughing:

Sorry-had to

Edited by T.D.M.22

I would very much like to configure the search radius for events in the weekly newsletter. Currently, I scan the distances in the list, and otherwise ignore most of them because they're too far away.

Interesting - long ago they restricted events listed to within 50 miles of your home coordinates - there was an outcry in the forums that events are special enough that many Geocachers will travel to go to them - the distance was upped to 200 miles. I'll see if I can find the thread....

Meanwhile - maybe it is time for something more customized.

I don't remember that thread but 50 miles would too limiting in my area. Events don't happen very often in my area (maybe 2-3 a year within 50 miles) and when the do, there are quite a few caches that travel over 50 miles to attend. Due to the significant difference in geocacher density and the size of countries/regions a fixed number like 50 or 200 miles just doesn't make sense. Having a user selected radius as the OP and niraD suggest makes a lot more sense.

I'm in the part of the UK that 200 miles brings me into mainland Europe. Before now I've seen Dutch events on my weekly email.

I was going to say that :)

Yep, it's irritating for me to look down the list of events sorted by date only to find it cluttered with events in France, Belgium, Holland etc.

Some events are worth travelling to but I'm certainly not going to start booking planes and ferries to get to an event. Customised radius would be a good thing.

If I'm in the mood to travel a silly distance to an event I can always run a pocket query to find all the events within a silly radius of home.

I miss not seeing a list of all the events in the UK in the weekly email. Now I just get a useless random selection, and not many of those either!

Where can I find a list of all the events. I do like to plan ahead.

As a PM you have a few options.

-You can view the map and filter out all caches except events.

-You can set up a PQ to run, say every Sunday, that will show any events that have been published since your last PQ

-You can set up a notification at http://www.geocaching.com/notify/ to get notifications for event caches emailed to you.