Photo Logging ?

xmod4u

We have just been on Vacation in Cuba.

Obviously with no GPS, it was a little harder than normal. But we still manage to find quite a few.

Some of the caches might of been compromised and the container was missing, previous loggers seemed to have chosen to log as found anyway using a picture of themselves at the cache site.

My question before I do the same, is that allowed or not.

And if so, what do people think of such an action.

I feel wrong Photo logging but considering the circumstances, its not like I can go back tomorrow after the cache was fixed.

inputs?

Thanks

I don't photolog missing caches myself and don't like when people try to do this at my geocaches. At the same time, I'm deeply grateful to anyone who helps me to replace a missing container, so if he wishes to log this cache as found after that I've no objections.

Thats called a virtual, and new ones are no longer allowed.

And Groundspeak frowns upon traditional caches that are effectively turned into virtuals. If a reviewer learns about the situation, then they probably will give the cache owner a little time to replace the cache. If the owner fails to respond, then the reviewer likely will archive the cache. That happened recently on a "virtual" cache that I had DNFed.

If you opt for a photo log, then it sounds like the cache owner probably will let you keep the smiley. But the question is, do you want those kind of smileys? Personally, I DNF caches that I don't find, even when I'm on vacation.

Thats called a virtual, and new ones are no longer allowed.

Moreover, turning a cache that was approved as a 'Traditional' (a cache with a container and a log) into a 'Virtual' is not allowed. Any cache where the owner is allowing this to happen (by intent or neglect) means the listing should be archived and locked.

I wish they were locked. I know of a "virtual" traditional that recently was archived by a reviewer. Two weeks later, another geocacher "found it" with a photo.

I wouldn't log one if I didn't find the container. I have lost my pen before over the course of the hunt and taken a picture of the container. I then sent a picture of the container to the CO, so they know I actually found the cache and didn't armchair it. If you take a picture of the container in the hiding spot don't post it to the cache page, just email it to the CO privately.

We have just been on Vacation in Cuba.

Obviously with no GPS, it was a little harder than normal. But we still manage to find quite a few.

Some of the caches might of been compromised and the container was missing, previous loggers seemed to have chosen to log as found anyway using a picture of themselves at the cache site.

My question before I do the same, is that allowed or not.

And if so, what do people think of such an action.

I feel wrong Photo logging but considering the circumstances, its not like I can go back tomorrow after the cache was fixed.

inputs?

Thanks

Here's the problem and it's coming from experience: even if you are OK logging it that way many people are not but by logging it as found you are giving the impression the cache is still there so others may waste their time going to the cache and searching so IMHO it is cheating (you never found it, you never signed the log) and can have a negative impact on others.

What about Waymarking?

What about it?

If someone created some waymarks here do you think people will visit and log them? It could be argued that allowing the visualization of old vacation caches that the owner never intended maintaining, does a better job of sharing cool places.

Until Geocachers understand that finding geocaches and visiting cool location that others want to share with you are two different, though possibly related, activities; I would guess you will have people who justify logging a Found Log on the basis that the owner intended only that you visit the location.

Looks like you found at least one with a log to sign (saw that you took TBs), so leave it at that. You can claim Cuba. DNF the rest. I'm not saying I'd photo log anyway, even if I found NO physical containers. I don't think I would, though it would be sad to be cache-less in Cuba. But that isn't an issue--any logs you signed are fine, any you didn't, I'd delete photo logs. I hate it when people "photo log" webcams--if a webcam is down, I skip those, too. No log--no find. I certainly wouldn't just be posting pictures from traditional sites and claiming them as finds.

Thanks for all the inputs, i really appreciate it.

I did feel wrong to photo log, I want a "clean" record, I truly enjoy this activity and want to keep the guidelines as much as possible.

Will be deleting that log, turn it to DNF accept it.

Thanks again

I;m sorry you want to send in a log saying you found a cache when there was no cache there? I don't think that's right, after all you didn't really find the cache did you? I could understand a picture of the cache if you had no pen, or there was no log, but not if there's no cache. And after all you didn't even have a GPSr, so how do you know you just weren't in the wrong place.

I;m sorry you want to send in a log saying you found a cache when there was no cache there? I don't think that's right, after all you didn't really find the cache did you? I could understand a picture of the cache if you had no pen, or there was no log, but not if there's no cache. And after all you didn't even have a GPSr, so how do you know you just weren't in the wrong place.

Like I said in my FP, I didnt want to do that, the last like 5 logs on the cache were photo logs. I didnt know what to do and it is why I came here to ask.

I didnt do it, wont do it, I dont agree as well.

And yes, no GPS but had done preparations before hand and had print out of all the caches with pictures. I know I was at the right place.

I didnt do it, wont do it, I dont agree as well.

Well it really doesn't matter what I, or the others on here think. You made your choice-did what you think is right. I'm not sure why you are on here asking about, since you made your decision. But like I said you did what you think is right-which is what you will be told to do for a lot of different situations in geocaching. That should ALWAYS be more important then what others have to say. Of course if they don't agree with you there's no reason to argue, but since you didn't...well...you did the right thing.