Multitools

PreferMaps

Leatherman Leatherman tools seems to have a smaller profile in the handle than others.

- More info on what kind of multi-tool you're looking for may help.

Sometimes folks are looking for a multi-tool, when really their needs only require a Swiss Army knife or similar with items "other" than just a blade.

Swiss Army

- Some of the "pocket" Swiss Army knives are actually thicker/wider in the hand than most multi tools.

Best to take an idea of what you need and head to pretty-much any sporting goods shop and try some on for size.

I carry a Leatherman Micra everywhere because it fits in my pocket. But it's small enough for someone with small hands to use conveniently.

But I think your best bet is to go somewhere with a wide selection of multitools, and to pick one that has the assortment of blades/tools that you want, in a size that works for you.

Leatherman or Gerber brands are good. I just bought a Leatherman Surge, and love it, although some people say it's a bit heavy. I have also used the Gerber Flik and it's ok. With Swiss Army-make sure it's Victorinox as there are a lot of knockoffs-watch what you buy. Some products are to make money-costing more then similar quality products from other companies. But you have to decide what products you want-If you shoot a AR-15 then get the Leatherman MUT. If you just want a good knife and maybe a screwdriver, go with a basic model from Swiss Army. You want something in between I;ve heard lots of good things about the Skeletool, Micra, and Wave-all by Leatherman. Whatever you do, stick with a good name-Leatherman, SOG, Gerber, Swiss Army, etc. These are good companies with good products. Don't go for the $10 wal-mart tool you find in their camping section.

Mine's a Gerber, it cost me $0.00, as about 6 years ago I was searching for an urban micro and I thought I'd found it only to discover it was not the cache but a Gerber multi-tool in a pouch. It was a little rusty but I took it apart and cleaned/polished/oiled it and it's served me well ever since and is always clipped to my belt. Oh and yes I did find the cache too :)

Go into an EMS and/or REI (etc) and "try them on".

Decide what tools you absolutely need. I woudl try to make sure you get blade and philips drivers, knife, pliers and/or scissors at a minimum, plus a bottle opener (that icy cold beer at the end of the trail won't be enjoyable if you can't get it open!). How far off the beaten trail you go will also determine what your tool set needs to be. The further afield, the more your life may depend on your equipment choices.

I have several different mutli-tools spread between my packs (I have different packs depending on how far into the woods I am going). For my "Short trip/city park" bag I have a Leatherman Squirt PS4. The pliers are small enough they can usually get out those stubborn nano/micro logs from their containers. For my "deep woods" pack, I have an older Gerber tool. Beefier and more tools. In that pack I also carry a fixed blade knife.

In my wife's car we keep a Leatherman Wingman - nice solid tool that's inexpesnive, and has everything you might need. I think I bought it at Home Depot (~$30US).

For the Bear Grylls tools/knives/gear, I think you tend to pay a bit more for the same stuff due to the name.

Just word of caution about multitools. Once you get one - you need to Practice with it. Many pocket knives of any type do not lock. If so, you need to learn how to use it and make sure it doesn't fold up and cut you badly. Also learn the difference between the hazards of a sharp knife vs a dull one. Sharp is by far better, but needs to be respected to the Max. If you buy an expensive knife do not allow anyone else to use it. They will do something awful to it. I have hiked many a trail and don't remember using my knife at all. It is always there if I need it but it just doesn't come up!

Just word of caution about multitools. Once you get one - you need to Practice with it. Many pocket knives of any type do not lock. If so, you need to learn how to use it and make sure it doesn't fold up and cut you badly. ....

Actually they are starting to now. Of course the $10 walmart special won't but the About $70+ so.

I have a Leatherman Surge and EVERYTHING locks. The both knives, the saw, scissors, even the can opener.

Of course this is a newer feature on the higher end models, but it's worht spending the extra $15 or $20

to get a model that locks. And yes you need to learn how to use it, specifically you should be able to open the blade without looking-or even one handed if the model allows for it.

Sorry, off-topic...

Pocket knives and multi-tools are two completely different animals.

A knife blades only function is to cut.

A slip joint knife has a small (usually spring) lip holding the blade in place. Pressure is forced on the blade while cutting, keeping it open. Pressure to the back of the blade "slips" over that joint lip and closes the blade.

Closing a knife's blade improperly or using a blade for something other than it's purpose is the reason knives "fold up" and cut you.

- But I agree some pocket knives do not have a "lock" for the blade.

Back on topic...

My Original Leatherman, bought in '85 (the Company started in '83) required you to close the handles together for each function, effectively locking them. The Company figured common sense would keep you safe.

- The Micra is similar to this one.

In the mid-nineties, they started incorporating a spring lock to most functions, realizing common sense wasn't popular any more. :rolleyes:

Regardless of price, some models still require you to close the handles for those functions that don't have "their own" lock (usually on tools inside the handles), to lock it in.

We still have two Originals, a Pulse, "had" a Squirt (CJ lost it) and a Charge TTi (though in titanium, a heavy beast).

CJ prefers the Original to the Squirt.

Thought i'd add a few things that i like about the Skeletool.

The first thing that caught my attention was the 25 year warranty. This gives me an indication that the tool has quality materials and workmanship.

The more notable thing for me was the size and weight. I tried several other tools and the plier handles always felt too wide and didn't fit my hand well. It weighs about 2 ounces less than some of the larger tools.

A big plus is that the tool doesn't have to be open to use the knife. It feels like a regular knife handle when you are using it. The blade itself is easily opened with one hand and does lock into place when fully open. The lock is easy to press when you get ready to close it.

The screwdriver bits can be bought and replaced easily if they do end up getting worn out. Four different sizes, 2 flats, two phillips. Many of the tools i've come across have the flat and phillips drivers as part of the tool. Not sure what you do if they wear out and become unusable.

The spring loaded clip definitely comes in handy for carrying on your beltloop, if you want to carry it that way. Like a carabiner, it's easy to access when needed.

I am considering equipping myself with a multitool

I had a very small Leatherman tool a while back. Got it as a gift and sold it because had no use for it. Wish I had kept it now.

But I don't know that I would use it that much. Myself, I carry a monkey fist with a small LED light and a small Swiss Army knife on a quick release. Very easy to get to in my pocket. Anything else is in an easily reachable zippered pouch in my small pack. I know where stuff is in the pouch and doubt that it would be any faster or more convenient, at least for me, to have a multi-tool.