How to find the coords for 200,000th & 500,00th hidden caches

tweetiepy

How do I find a specific cache? One of the puzzles in my area asks that I find the latitude of the 200,000the hidden cache according to this web site and another being the coords for the 500,000th. I don't know the name of these caches or who hid them. I've tried searching for the number but it's not listed as a number - I suppose it had an actual name -

I checked the history of geocaching in the learning section and found nothing there either. Is there anywhere where this could be listed or where I could find the info on the web page - I searched the forums but it's not listed there either - how can I find this?

You find caches on Geocaching.com by their GC Code, their Guid, or their number. It's just a URL

If you hadn't told me you were working on a puzzle, I'd just post that URL. Now, I'm not so sure about just doing it...so, below is almost all the info you need...

coord.info/GCCode
www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=<GC Code>
www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=
www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?

I don't have a GC code or user name - not sure what a Guid is and I don't have its number either

I tried searching by 200000 but I get something else, I mean whoever posted that 200000th cache had no idea it would be that number so there's no way he called it 200,000

I tried pasting those links in the address bar but I got stuff that I'm uncertain about (not sure if it's correct or not or how I'd know it was correct)

You find caches on Geocaching.com by their GC Code, their Guid, or their number. It's just a URL

If you hadn't told me you were working on a puzzle, I'd just post that URL. Now, I'm not so sure about just doing it...so, below is almost all the info you need...

coord.info/GCCode
www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=<GC Code>
www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=
www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?

This works too:

www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?id=

Otherwise if you can find a site that converts decimal to GC's Base 31 scheme, you can use the coord.info link.

Edited by JJnTJ

It isn't clear to me what "the 200,000the hidden cache" means. Is it the 200,000th GC code? Is it the 200,000th cache published? Is it the cache listing that gave geocaching.com 200,000 active listings? Is it something else?

Regardless, according to section 4 of the geocaching.com terms of use, "You agree not to: [...] (m) Publish, on any Groundspeak owned web property, the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the cache owner." So it isn't appropriate to discuss the details of this puzzle cache here. Discussing it privately (in person, over the phone, via email or chat, whatever) is fine, since with private conversations, the details won't remain online and searchable for the life of the cache.

Sorry didn't think this counted as that, as I'm not asking for the coordinates, but a way to find specific information.

So basically I'm looking for the 200,000th published cache and how do I search for it since I don't have a name or GC code. I know I'll need this in the future if I come across something that I should remember but will probably forget.

Thanks

The only thing I can think of is to treat it as a GIYF (Google Is Your Friend) puzzle. It's basically a bit of trivia that must exist somewhere on the web for the puzzle to work (assuming that it isn't a red herring, of course). So I'd start searching with fairly specific search terms, looking for that bit of trivia.

Thanks everyone, I ended up contacting the CO and he let me know where to get the information. It's not on any site - Google was no help either.

But I did get the info - and I'm working on solving it

FWIW, I have a little Web app that converts between GC code and cache ID number (which is the numeric value of the cache page in creation order):

It's here.

Thanks everyone, I ended up contacting the CO and he let me know where to get the information. It's not on any site - Google was no help either.

FWIW, I have a little Web app that converts between GC code and cache ID number (which is the numeric value of the cache page in creation order):

It's here.

And, you have a great little app that sits on my desktop. Thanks...

The puzzle was basically spoiled up thread. I didn't know about the id= part so I simply went to the Fizzy app. As far as what the 200,000th refers to to, however it is stated, the only thing that we can easily determine as a user is the 200,000th GC#. It would be nearly impossible for us to determine what the 200,000th published cache was as not every code assigned has been published. We would literally have to test every code. Finding the 200,000 active cache would be impossible, plus it's likely that there is more than one.

It's here.

Thanks for that link, given me an idea for a puzzle cache once the weather improves.

It's here.

Yeah I think that was what I got - You should have posted sooner! :)

If that worked, then post #4 above also would work. So you did get it sooner :rolleyes:

Nope couldn't figure out how to ge the correct info from Quote #4

Sorry didn't think this counted as that, as I'm not asking for the coordinates, but a way to find specific information.

So basically I'm looking for the 200,000th published cache and how do I search for it since I don't have a name or GC code. I know I'll need this in the future if I come across something that I should remember but will probably forget.

Thanks

*** MONKEY WRENCH TOSSING ***

Doesn't the link will give you the 400,000th cache submitted? Not all submitted caches are published.

Thanks

*** MONKEY WRENCH TOSSING ***

Doesn't the link will give you the 400,000th cache submitted? Not all submitted caches are published.

I think we pretty all much agree either the OP mis-worded the post, or the unknown cache owner mis-worded the cache page. They would be looking for the 200,000th and 400,000th GC code issued. By the way, wild guess without looking, 200,000 in 2004, 400,000 in 2005. :)

EDIT: Sorry, 500,000th, not 400,000th. And Tweetiepy, you've been given everything you need, I don't see why it wouldn't work. :)

Edited by Mr.Yuck