Flonopoly - a heartfelt apology

Geocachers,

I felt I owed everyone an apology, geocachers, reviewers and moderators, for the demise of Flonopoly. So here it is..

I planned meticulously, designed and setup Flonopoly, with the help of fantastic reviwers, being a realy enthusiastic geocacher for a good while - I was proud of the result. Then without dwelling too much life pretty much fell apart with family, work and illness - and I'm afraid to say I just ignored everything geocaching related - which is something that as a cache finder I used to hate in other cache setters !

I'm very sorry for letting this series go to waste - and to those that never got round it, again, apologies. I'm back in the land of the living now, although won't be able to get round london to maintain this lot. I may set the odd new cache, and will certainly try and find some again - but I don't have the resource to keep Flonopoly alive.

A couple of cachers emailed me asking if they could take the series on - and I'm afraid I never even responded such was my state of mind. If there is anyone out there who would like all the planning stuff and logo's I did, I'd be honoured to pass it on - and let someone else may be re-name it and make it their own. You can email me through geocaching or feel free to send me an email on ds@firelanterns.co.uk. If someone takes it on, I'll post it here.

So for all the frustration of this series falling down - one last big apology - I'm very sorry. To those that did some or all of the series - your logs made me very happy, and to you, thank you.

All the best geocachers..

Firelanterns (aka Darren)

Geocachers,

I felt I owed everyone an apology, geocachers, reviewers and moderators, for the demise of Flonopoly. So here it is..

I planned meticulously, designed and setup Flonopoly, with the help of fantastic reviwers, being a realy enthusiastic geocacher for a good while - I was proud of the result. Then without dwelling too much life pretty much fell apart with family, work and illness - and I'm afraid to say I just ignored everything geocaching related - which is something that as a cache finder I used to hate in other cache setters !

I'm very sorry for letting this series go to waste - and to those that never got round it, again, apologies. I'm back in the land of the living now, although won't be able to get round london to maintain this lot. I may set the odd new cache, and will certainly try and find some again - but I don't have the resource to keep Flonopoly alive.

A couple of cachers emailed me asking if they could take the series on - and I'm afraid I never even responded such was my state of mind. If there is anyone out there who would like all the planning stuff and logo's I did, I'd be honoured to pass it on - and let someone else may be re-name it and make it their own. You can email me through geocaching or feel free to send me an email on ds@firelanterns.co.uk. If someone takes it on, I'll post it here.

So for all the frustration of this series falling down - one last big apology - I'm very sorry. To those that did some or all of the series - your logs made me very happy, and to you, thank you.

I didn't complete any of your Flonopoly series but it sounds like it was popular so its a shame the way things panned out. I hope things are better for you now and your creative juices get flowing again. Well done on the post, an honest and thoughtful gesture :) .

I've said this on the other threads, but the idea is a very good one and worth the effort. I really applaud anyone who makes the attempt.

I don't believe any of the caches were in areas "frowned upon" as suggested above. Having completed most of the original series I recal it took most of a lunchtime (and more) to get to some of the further out caches - the problem is simply finding the time to travel to some of the further out caches.

The Tigglets also tried with 20 caches, but it looks like they're failing as 7 have been archived already.

What it really needs is several people taking on a few of the caches local to them to make a whole series. And that's not me vounteering - I don't spend enough time in London to maintain any more than the one cache I have there.

The series was doomed from the start.

Too many caches in parts of London that are frowned upon.

Too big an area.

Similar series didn't work in Brighton either. Or Dorset.

Never mind. You gave it a try.

I don't know what JoLuc's problem is with the series. Presumably he/she has been frustrated with some of the caches; although I'm surprised that he/she has been to so many when they have been deactivated for quite a while.

Firelanterns has bravely posted an apology and explanation for non-maintenance. I think it's out of order to criticise the concept.

I've found one out of the three I looked for, and all I can say is that it was a great idea and I hope that someone takes it over.

Geocachers,

Thanks for posting, the part I bolded is the part that it's so easy to forget when getting irritated with owners who don't maintain caches.

Without needing details, if "life falls apart" for someone the chances are their number 1 priority isn't going to be worrying about some little boxes in the woods or film pots under benches. So even if the caches do end up archived for non-maintenance after endless DNF and NM logs, the owner still has bigger fish to fry.

For all I get irritated with unimaginative micros these days, from what I recall I enjoyed the few I did of the series. In urban areas it's hard to hide anything much bigger than a film pot and it's good to see interesting themes to a series - if nothing else having names related to a board game of a very similar name (other board games are available) gives someone a "reason to visit" the area.

What a nice gesture to post an apology!

I did quite a few of these a couple of years ago and remember thinking how well thought out they were. I remember the joy of finally working out where 'jail' was and marvelling at how appropriate it's position was.

I also remember thinking that it must be virtually impossible to maintain this number of scattered caches in London where they go missing so often.

Your efforts were certainly appreciated by this cacher, but good for you for focusing on your life - this is just a hobby after all.

All the best - Rob

What a nice gesture to post an apology!

Your efforts were certainly appreciated by this cacher, but good for you for focusing on your life - this is just a hobby after all.

I second that!

I'm not working in London any more, so I wouldn't find any more than I already have even if the series was reinstated. But I enjoyed finding the ones I did, they gave me an excuse to divert from my well-worn path between Waterloo and the office, and I also don't understand why JoLuc has a problem with them.

Hope life gets back together and you're able to devote time to having fun - in whatever form you find that takes