21st Century dinosaur needs help

mbooda

I love pocket queries. Unlimited pocket queries is probably the major reason I became a Premium Member many years ago. Normally before I start my caching day I gen up two queries, one for the 999 closest active caches I haven't found yet, the other for the 999 closest active caches (found or unfound) containing trackables. I download the queries to my Windows laptop, run GPX Spinner (I love it too!), then transfer the html's and associated files in the resulting cache folders to my old but conveniently-sized HP IPaQ PDA. Then I hit the road, with my IPaQ, my GPSr (GPSMap 76CSx, plus a Nuvi in the car to get me in the general area), and my smart phone (the latter is almost superfluous, since the coverage out past the black stump is practically non-existent). That's a lot of hardware, but they all fit nicely in hand or pocket.

Note that I do NOT download files directly to my GPSr. I have several reasons for this. One, I don't want hundreds of caches which I may be interested in today, but not tomorrow, cluttering it up. Two, I don't want to use up valuable space already taken by caches I have on it for important reasons (like obsession :mad: ). Three, of course I get suspicious about viruses...but I'm absolutely paranoid about downloading a virus to my GPSr. Nothing gets into my 76CSx unless I hand-type it in.

Fast forward to present day. I got an iPad mini for Christmas. I am learning to love it...I must say it's impressive. But the !@#$% thing won't load pocket queries! Don't know why...I assume it's because it's an Apple machine and doesn't like .zip'ed files. Assuming I get around this problem somehow, my next question is whether there's an app something like GPX Spinner for an iPad. Can anyone help me with these problems? Am I just a hopeless dinosaur staving off extinction? :signalviolin:

Don't forget iGeoKnife.

That is what i use on my iPad. I send the gpx to my email address and open it in that. All of the above solutions work.

But keep in mind that Apple believes that users should use iOS devices the way they think it should be not the way the customer does.

Edited by Walts Hunting

First, it is technically impossible to transfer a virus to the GPS, so stop worrying and load them up. It is easy. GSAK is the best choice.

For the iPad, I would just use the genuine Groundspeak app. It lets you load up the cache information and maps easily for offline use. You could easily do the same on your smart phone and avoid all the other mess you are doing as well.