Cache owner's name in new cache notification

BCandMsKitty

As the topic title said.

Currently we get notification of new caches within whatever area we have set, and it tells us of a new cache and how far, and a link to the cache page. I would like to see the cache owner as well in that email, because most times I click the link to bring the page up just to see who hid it. Especially if it is close to me.

It would be great to see that just in the notification.

The thing is, we are not getting a notification of a new cache, we are getting a notification that the reviewer posted a Published log on the new cache. This is why it is structured just like any other log notification.

More information would be helpful but it would probably be a major undertaking to implement.

Presumably, every detail on the complete cache page is a useful bit of information.

Some bits are more useful to certain cachers, and other bits are more useful to other cachers. Perhaps I might be more interested to see the D/T rating?

By the time you have included enough to satisfy everyone, you have the whole page there in the notification! :o

Click the link and look at the cache page. :rolleyes:

Presumably, every detail on the complete cache page is a useful bit of information.

Some bits are more useful to certain cachers, and other bits are more useful to other cachers. Perhaps I might be more interested to see the D/T rating?

By the time you have included enough to satisfy everyone, you have the whole page there in the notification! :o

I agree, but probably the most useful information that we could get that tells us if we even want to click that link, is the CO's name. We have a local guy that places about 20 caches a week, on and off. It's a pain to get 22 notifications and have to open all of them to find the two caches that I would actually look for.

I agree, but probably the most useful information that we could get that tells us if we even want to click that link, is the CO's name. We have a local guy that places about 20 caches a week, on and off. It's a pain to get 22 notifications and have to open all of them to find the two caches that I would actually look for.

Agreed.

But neither am I likely to go out looking for a D3.5/T4.0 at 2000 Hrs.

I might consider going after an FTF for a D1.5/T1.5 cache by 'Lame Cache Hider' at 2000 Hrs. just for the fun of claiming the FTF (or participating in the FTF party).

Agreed.

I might consider going after an FTF for a D1.5/T1.5 cache by 'Lame Cache Hider' at 2000 Hrs. just for the fun of claiming the FTF (or participating in the FTF party).

Not being disagreeable, but around here, we can usually guess the D/T by the CO's name as well. :)

Agreed.

Not being disagreeable, but around here, we can usually guess the D/T by the CO's name as well. :)

Thankfully not around here. I don't have that many new caches in my area so look at everyone that comes out. For me it wouldn't matter, but I can see how it could be very helpful for others.

I would like to see the cache owner as well in that email

Why? I mean I'm not opposed to absolutely everything possible on a cache page being provided in an alert but why the owner name specifically?

bd

Because a cache by Cr8tiveHider would be something you might want to look at now, while LaymoneS cache could wait.

Why? I mean I'm not opposed to absolutely everything possible on a cache page being provided in an alert but why the owner name specifically?

bd

Because a cache by Cr8tiveHider would be something you might want to look at now, while LaymoneS cache could wait.

No way!

This isn't an issue for me. Last time I checked there were about 25 new caches published within 20 miles in the last six months.

I see notification similar to an RSS feed. It's not intended to include all the information about an online resource, but should have enough summary information to allow someone to determine whether or not they want to click on the item link to see the detail. In that sense, if including the cache owners name allows user to make a more information decision for whether or not to go to the full cache page, I think it's a good idea.

It would be nice to get prettier and more useful information, rather than having to open the Groundspeak app and then choose to use the app (every single solitary time--why is this page here? My iPhone has never "remembered" my choice for the future). Just the basic, concise information would be acceptable: GC code, name, type, CO, coords, size, D/T, distance and direction from home, link to the app.

I pay for TWO premium memberships when I should be only paying for ONE, so I think I get two votes. For whatever reason, I cannot receive both an e-mail AND a text to my cell phone, so I pay for two premium memberships, just to have this service. And you could fix this too, while you are at it.

It would be nice to get prettier and more useful information, rather than having to open the Groundspeak app and then choose to use the app (every single solitary time--why is this page here? My iPhone has never "remembered" my choice for the future). Just the basic, concise information would be acceptable: GC code, name, type, CO, coords, size, D/T, distance and direction from home, link to the app.

I pay for TWO premium memberships when I should be only paying for ONE, so I think I get two votes. For whatever reason, I cannot receive both an e-mail AND a text to my cell phone, so I pay for two premium memberships, just to have this service. And you could fix this too, while you are at it.

Even if they were to add more fields to the notification, they will never add the coordinates. They do not people going straight to GZ from the notification. The idea is that you will open the page and read the description to note anything special about the location, park hours, etc.

The thing is, we are not getting a notification of a new cache, we are getting a notification that the reviewer posted a Published log on the new cache. This is why it is structured just like any other log notification.

More information would be helpful but it would probably be a major undertaking to implement.

Hard to see how adding the name of the cache owner is going to be a lot of work compared to the work already done to add the name of the cache.

Personally I'd like to see an option to receive a GPX of the cache attached to the Published notification. It would save me time and probably save Groundspeak some bandwidth. Making it an optional attachment would mean people who didn't want it wouldn't get it, and it would save those who do want it the time and bandwidth of opening the cache page to click on the GPX button.

Hard to see how adding the name of the cache owner is going to be a lot of work compared to the work already done to add the name of the cache.

Personally I'd like to see an option to receive a GPX of the cache attached to the Published notification. It would save me time and probably save Groundspeak some bandwidth. Making it an optional attachment would mean people who didn't want it wouldn't get it, and it would save those who do want it the time and bandwidth of opening the cache page to click on the GPX button.

That is not a bad idea. One of the reasons that Groundspeak has always used for providing limited information in the notification is that they want us to read the cache page/description. Sending a GPX directly to the user would promote just that.

bd

I'd want to add if it's a PMO as well. Considering the area you know why. I'd perfer not to make it on a certian ones cache aduit log, but I guess I have to, to put it on my ignore list. Doh!!! :blink: