"What the game once was"

nthacker66

Today, I hiked a 8.3 mile loop trail in the mountains. I found 24 caches, 12 micros and 12 smalls. I hiked the exact same route in November of 2006 and found 11 caches, 5 Regulars and 6 smalls.

Yes, smaller caches is definitely a trend. I claim this is mostly because swag has become much less important generally. If you're not worried about what can be put into them, smaller caches are easier to carry and easier to hide near the trail. Is a tendency to avoid hides which involve bushwhacking caused by cachers getting lazy, or by the fact that you don't need to go 200' off the trail to hide a small cache?

Now admittedly, there haven't been any power trails in my area, but what I'm seeing is that many of these trail micros still involve a lot of thought and display a lot of talent. Typically the trail caches I find are anti-camo'd, so they're as easy to find as a ammo can if you know where to look. Some are even large hides, but still listed as micros because the actual container is a micro affixed to a much larger object.

The original post was about the quality of caches, not the quality of GPS receivers and GPS satellites.

Actually, the original post was about the quantity of caches, the point being that people wanted and were hiding caches just to get numbers. As usual, the discussion has hinged on the implicit assumption that the more caches there are, the less quality they have, but that's not necessarily true.

I read it as things were better way back when.

I believe in the beginning there were no puzzle caches, maybe the OP is correct;)

I simply suggest you make more of the cache types you like

and less of the cache types you dont like,

and let others do the same,

if others make caches you like, go find them,

prase them, make good logs and give them favorites,

tell about them, and share their GC number with your friends.

if others make caches you dont like,

dont find them, let them be,

respect other peoples taste, let them play it their way too,

dont talk bad about them directly,

since some people take it personally,

they make a cache, it is now a part of them,

if you dont like that cache, they feel you dont like them as a person..

really wierd, but I seen this..

I'd rather say that the key message was that things were more enjoyable in the early times for many cachers who started geocaching back then.

If a cablecar gets built and a mountain gets reachable in this way in a more comfortable way, some will be happy and some will be sad.

Not everything can be cast into good and bad.

Geocaching in the way it was in former times was better suited for cachers like me. This does not mean that it has been better in general.

I believe in the beginning there were no puzzle caches, maybe the OP is correct;)

There have been puzzle caches, but they did not have their own cache type.

Cezanne

Today, I hiked a 8.3 mile loop trail in the mountains. I found 24 caches, 12 micros and 12 smalls. I hiked the exact same route in November of 2006 and found 11 caches, 5 Regulars and 6 smalls.

Yes, smaller caches is definitely a trend. I claim this is mostly because swag has become much less important generally. If you're not worried about what can be put into them, smaller caches are easier to carry and easier to hide near the trail. Is a tendency to avoid hides which involve bushwhacking caused by cachers getting lazy, or by the fact that you don't need to go 200' off the trail to hide a small cache?

Now admittedly, there haven't been any power trails in my area, but what I'm seeing is that many of these trail micros still involve a lot of thought and display a lot of talent. Typically the trail caches I find are anti-camo'd, so they're as easy to find as a ammo can if you know where to look. Some are even large hides, but still listed as micros because the actual container is a micro affixed to a much larger object.

The original post was about the quality of caches, not the quality of GPS receivers and GPS satellites.

Actually, the original post was about the quantity of caches, the point being that people wanted and were hiding caches just to get numbers. As usual, the discussion has hinged on the implicit assumption that the more caches there are, the less quality they have, but that's not necessarily true.

Again, let ME (The OP) be clear on what the intnetion of my post was - not what others have turned it into - it was just a reminiscing about the days before power trails. SOmehow, some of my local detractors here always want to turn what I post into gripes because they have a disliking of me outside of the game - but my membership fees are the same as theirs so I have just as much a right to start a topic of discussion - that all being said, again, this was not a complaint. It was ot meant to be taken negativelty - just a mere observation that many people agree with - Power trails mainly exist to boost numbers - period. I didnt try to argue if they were good or bad (personally I find them extremel boring amongst other issues I see with them but that wasn't the intention of my post - if need be I will start a topic specifically for that discussion - at least then I can stand accused justifably)

The meaning behind my original statement is just a rememberence when I started, at least, caches seem to bring me to special places. And while many still do, the trend is fewer of the new ones, statistically, do not - which isn't a good or bad thing, but when you look at sheer numbers, how many can really say a powertrail full of roadside caches really takes you anywhere of interest (maybe a few in the series do).

Is this to say powertrails do ot have their place and cant be special? No way. We have one in NC called the bling trail that is in a game shelter, with the chance of seeing alligators and other interesting flora and fauna. Generally you would drive it for all 450+ caches but it isn't typical of most power trails. Personally, will i ever do that PT, not in a car, maybe rent an ATV and play around for a few hours, but at least it can be said that it brings you some place.

Again does that mean ALL caches have to do that? No. Does it mean I am griping about it or complaining or saying people shouldn't play the game that way? Certainly not. But I do think it is a worthy conversation to have in DISCUSSION forums. After all, isnt that the purpose of these forums anyway, to DISCUSS geocaching?

Edited by nthacker66

Everyone I know that has done the E.T. highway has enjoyed the experience, why can't it sometimes be about the journey and not the destination?

That's quotable. I like it.

how many can really say a powertrail full of roadside caches really takes you anywhere of interest

The ones in the American Southwest are almost certain to have notable scenery. The question is, does anyone even notice when the goal is to get 1000 caches in a day? I think at that point, the destination and the journey becomes second to the numbers and you are no longer playing the game that once was.

Again, let ME (The OP) be clear on what the intnetion of my post was - not what others have turned it into - it was just a reminiscing about the days before power trails. SOmehow, some of my local detractors here always want to turn what I post into gripes because they have a disliking of me outside of the game - but my membership fees are the same as theirs so I have just as much a right to start a topic of discussion - that all being said, again, this was not a complaint. It was ot meant to be taken negativelty - just a mere observation that many people agree with - Power trails mainly exist to boost numbers - period. I didnt try to argue if they were good or bad (personally I find them extremel boring amongst other issues I see with them but that wasn't the intention of my post - if need be I will start a topic specifically for that discussion - at least then I can stand accused justifably)

The meaning behind my original statement is just a rememberence when I started, at least, caches seem to bring me to special places. And while many still do, the trend is fewer of the new ones, statistically, do not - which isn't a good or bad thing, but when you look at sheer numbers, how many can really say a powertrail full of roadside caches really takes you anywhere of interest (maybe a few in the series do).

Is this to say powertrails do ot have their place and cant be special? No way. We have one in NC called the bling trail that is in a game shelter, with the chance of seeing alligators and other interesting flora and fauna. Generally you would drive it for all 450+ caches but it isn't typical of most power trails. Personally, will i ever do that PT, not in a car, maybe rent an ATV and play around for a few hours, but at least it can be said that it brings you some place.

Again does that mean ALL caches have to do that? No. Does it mean I am griping about it or complaining or saying people shouldn't play the game that way? Certainly not. But I do think it is a worthy conversation to have in DISCUSSION forums. After all, isnt that the purpose of these forums anyway, to DISCUSS geocaching?

As one of these "local detractors" (and hey, I never met a geocacher I didn't like in person), I just need to discuss....

1. your first post and this last post was loaded and dripping with I DO NOT LIKE POWER TRAILS. Of course this will generate arguments on this board :). See point 3 for PT discussion.

2. I responded in the vein you intended... talking about the notion that "quality caches" do not exist any more and that PT are diluting them out. You pointed out some "quality caches" from a certain year, and I contended that there are many more from recent hiders. I've been caching for over a decade in this area and still see new amazing caches put out. I'm spoilt for choice here and still am... I did a nice 9 mile hike last weekend for a cache that's been out for almost 10 years that I never got round to doing until now. And I still have many many more locally to do. I'm still years away from completing the NCGO "greatest hits" list and that's full of older and newer caches. Of course this varies by area (cache density etc) but to the OP: The day you run out of whatever cache type you enjoy doing in NC (heck or even in the Triangle) and only PT are left then I will agree to your original point ;).

3. I did the Bling Trail and it was wonderful scenery...I also did the ET highway and it was even better scenery ... that lake at the end, the desert vistas, the wildlife we saw was astounding (jackrabbits and cows at night were a sight to behold) to this city boy. That WAS a destination and a journey all rolled into one with good friends ... and a physical challenge to boot (yes, over 1000 caches in a day tests your endurance as much as any other extreme cache, in my opinion).

I don't think micros, powertrails or numbers have degraded the game. I think it's COs that have placed poorly picked containers or have failed to do maintainace on thier caches that are to blame for most of the problem talked about in this thread. I have have been force to post N/A on just as many old regulars as I have any other caches.

It doesn't matter what kind of cache it is or where it is, if it was not placed with proper forethought and planning and/or not maintained then it is a problem cache. That hasn't changed since the switch was flipped.

Everyone I know that has done the E.T. highway has enjoyed the experience, why can't it sometimes be about the journey and not the destination?

In the case of the E.T. Highway, the journey is mostly broken up by having to stop every 529' to wrastle a film can. Even if your only job in the vehicle was passenger, the constant acceleration changes would make any notable scenery less than stunning. Add to that the fact that there is very little difference in scenery in 529' and it just becomes monotonous. Being a lover of southwest landscapes, I could probably enjoy the aforementioned power trail if I reduced my number of finds by a factor of twenty, or so, stopping every couple of miles. That way I'd actually get to embrace the journey.

In the case of the E.T. Highway, the journey is mostly broken up by having to stop every 529' to wrastle a film can. Even if your only job in the vehicle was passenger, the constant acceleration changes would make any notable scenery less than stunning. Add to that the fact that there is very little difference in scenery in 529' and it just becomes monotonous. Being a lover of southwest landscapes, I could probably enjoy the aforementioned power trail if I reduced my number of finds by a factor of twenty, or so, stopping every couple of miles. That way I'd actually get to embrace the journey.

In that case you may need new friends for they are the ones that will make or break your experience.

Edited by Roman!

In that case you may need new friends for they are the ones that will make or break your experience.

So... It's not about the journey anymore?

Now it's about who surrounds you?

There are so many flaws with that line of thinking it's hard to know where to start.

Perhaps reliving my one experience at a power trail?

A couple hours away from me there is an old power trail. Like most power trails, it is utterly lacking in any redeeming qualities. The containers suck. The locations are mundane. The write ups are all copy/paste. Yet, I was told that this string of caches was responsible for Groundspeak creating the "Don't place a crappy film can every 600' just because you can" guideline. (I can't speak for the validity of this claim. Just repeating what I was told) Since I love that section of guideline, I decided to do this series, as a way of paying homage to the guideline. I drove down with a friend who I always have a blast with, figuring just being with him would make this a memorable experience, rather than a tedious one. The warm fuzzy feeling lasted for about four of those turds. Then it got boring. Real boring. Like, shoot myself in the foot just to give me something interesting, boring. We created our own little sub-games, such as betting on what color combination the film can body/lid would be, how soggy the log would be, etc, but the tedium continued to build. It was an absolutely horrendous experience, and I the relief I felt when it finally ended, some 30 or 40 caches later, was akin to removing a metal shaving from your eye.

You could put me in a van with The Most Interesting Person In The World and tell me I had to do a power trail like the E.T. thing and I would probably weep, then beg, then attempt violence, just to get out of it.

There are so many flaws with that line of thinking it's hard to know where to start.

A couple hours away from me there is an old power trail. Like most power trails, it is utterly lacking in any redeeming qualities. The containers suck. The locations are mundane. The write ups are all copy/paste. Yet, I was told that this string of caches was responsible for Groundspeak creating the "Don't place a crappy film can every 600' just because you can" guideline. (I can't speak for the validity of this claim. Just repeating what I was told) Since I love that section of guideline, I decided to do this series, as a way of paying homage to the guideline. I drove down with a friend who I always have a blast with, figuring just being with him would make this a memorable experience, rather than a tedious one. The warm fuzzy feeling lasted for about four of those turds. Then it got boring. Real boring. Like, shoot myself in the foot just to give me something interesting, boring. We created our own little sub-games, such as betting on what color combination the film can body/lid would be, how soggy the log would be, etc, but the tedium continued to build. It was an absolutely horrendous experience, and I the relief I felt when it finally ended, some 30 or 40 caches later, was akin to removing a metal shaving from your eye.

You could put me in a van with The Most Interesting Person In The World and tell me I had to do a power trail like the E.T. thing and I would probably weep, then beg, then attempt violence, just to get out of it.

You didn't do it right. You're have the 'Ching Ching' sound every time you find one and your numbers go up. :laughing:

Just like crappy caches there are crappy power trails, I did one too, but there are also good power trails, i have not met anyone who didn't enjoy the E.T. Highway, besides I'd rather be condemned to nothing but power trail than nothing but puzzles..

Edited by Roman!

That's quotable. I like it.

how many can really say a powertrail full of roadside caches really takes you anywhere of interest

The ones in the American Southwest are almost certain to have notable scenery. The question is, does anyone even notice when the goal is to get 1000 caches in a day? I think at that point, the destination and the journey becomes second to the numbers and you are no longer playing the game that once was.

In the early day caches were few and far between. Some took you to cool interesting places. Sometimes it was the journey to the cache that made it worthwhile. And while there were also some where neither the journey or destination was that great, is was true that mostly every cache took you to some place different.

I think this is fundamentally what changed. For some people it only took one cache to show them some place new. And only a few caches (or a multi-cache) to share a route. The reason for placing many caches when only one would do is lost on people with a certain view of geocaching.

I think from the start there were people for whom finding caches was more important that going to new places. They would look for trails with more caches and areas with denser placement when deciding where to geocache. And they began hiding more caches in these places to encourage others to visit.

They soon began to see this work. Hiding a number of caches on a trail or in a area brought more finders looking for numbers of finds.

This is the dichotomy of caching that I saw way back when I started in 2003. I don't believe it has changed much. There are people for whom the primary goal is to find caches and others for whom the primary goal is to explore new places they haven't been to before.

The interesting thing is that there are caches in more places than ever before. If you stop looking for every cache you will find that caching can still take you to different places.

It is true that in some urban areas the locations may include more parking lots and alleyways, and it is difficult sometimes to find urban caches that take you some place more interesting. In the old days, perhaps it was interesting enough to find out where the WalMart is when visiting a town you seldom visited. At least you now knew where to buy batteries for your GPS. But it's understandable why someone who wants to find out what the town has to offer, and especially what is unique, would get a bit upset after being taken to a string of fast food outlets and big box stores. I think this is the biggest complaint against numbers caching. Hopefully, Favorite point have done something to help find the caches that are in more interesting locations.

Just like crappy caches there are crappy power trails, I did one too, but there are also good power trails, i have not met anyone who didn't enjoy the E.T. Highway, besides I'd rather be condemned to nothing but power trail than nothing but puzzles..

I guess we have not met . . . Which is not to say that I do not enjoy that part of the world -- the pahranagat man and other petroglyphs, trilobite fossils, the lunar crater, ghost towns and other ruins, strange lights in the sky at night, the famous black mailbox that isn't black, nearby geological formations, the camo dudes, and always a good story from Pat at the Inn. But I would have missed most of these had I kept my eyes only 528 feet ahead along the highway. To me, that itself shows the difference between what the game was and what it has become.

Edited by geodarts

I guess we have not met . . . Which is not to say that I do not enjoy that part of the world -- the pahranagat man and other petroglyphs, trilobite fossils, the lunar crater, ghost towns and other ruins, strange lights in the sky at night, the famous black mailbox that isn't black, nearby geological formations, the camo dudes, and always a good story from Pat at the Inn. But I would have missed most of these had I kept my eyes only 528 feet ahead along the highway. To me, that itself shows the difference between what the game was and what it has become.

i sure hope if you're driving the E.T. Highway you keep your eyes focused 528 feet ahead and not up in the sky or you just may run over some poor geocacher out enjoying himself.

Everything changes, as humans we are more apt to look back and think things were better than they are now, sometimes they are, sometimes they're not and sometimes they're just different.

Like I said, everyone I know that has been there enjoyed it, I'm assuming most people that do the trail enjoy it and that's a lot of people and that IMHO is a good thing.

Is that because the E.T. Highway is an awesome caching experience...or because the majority of cachers who do the E.T. trail think the greatest thing in the world is the opportunity to rack up 1,500 finds in a day? My guess is the latter. If your goal is to get as many caches as you possibly can in 24 hours, you'd LOVE the E.T. highway.

That's not to say it's not a great place to do some caching. I'd be riding in the same car as the Riffster...stopping every few miles for the scenery and whatever oddities there might be in the desert and snatching a cache or two as long as I'm stopped.

Is that because the E.T. Highway is an awesome caching experience...or because the majority of cachers who do the E.T. trail think the greatest thing in the world is the opportunity to rack up 1,500 finds in a day? My guess is the latter. If your goal is to get as many caches as you possibly can in 24 hours, you'd LOVE the E.T. highway.

That's not to say it's not a great place to do some caching. I'd be riding in the same car as the Riffster...stopping every few miles for the scenery and whatever oddities there might be in the desert and snatching a cache or two as long as I'm stopped.

It was because their whole trip was an awesome experience, go figure some people actually enjoy something you don't, how dare them.

If you stop looking for every cache you will find that caching can still take you to different places.

´

Certainly, but still the number of caches that invite for a decent hike are in decrease at least in my area.

I aim at the combination of worthwhile experience (location or scenery along the walk) and physical activity. If I wished to spend half a day with caching and hiking some years ago, I could select 1-2 suitable caches within 5 minutes and I enjoyed both of them with a very high probability. Today when I want to spend half a day, I typically need to select much more caches as the caches tend to get shorter and the selection will contain several ones I do not enjoy at all. I of course could skip those, but then the duration of the trip decreases as well and I have to invest much more planning time how to spend the rest of the time I wanted to spend outdoors.

It appears to me that you rather have the situation in mind where one visits a new area and then wants to select some caches to visit there out of a huge number of available ones. If much fewer time is available than is needed for visiting all caches that appeal to oneself, the only issue is one of choosing the right caches. THere are different scenarios, however, and mine is typically one where I have a few hours at my disposition and want to spend them by combining caching with being physically active outdoors while spending not much time for planning (neither for selecting caches nor for researching worthwhile trails which I would have to do without using caches to determine my destination).

Hopefully, Favorite point have done something to help find the caches that are in more interesting locations.

No, not at all, at least not for me. Very often (in my area in the majority of the cases) many favourite points refer to the hideout or the container and not to the location or the hike.

Cezanne

If you stop looking for every cache you will find that caching can still take you to different places.

´

Certainly, but still the number of caches that invite for a decent hike are in decrease at least in my area.

I aim at the combination of worthwhile experience (location or scenery along the walk) and physical activity. If I wished to spend half a day with caching and hiking some years ago, I could select 1-2 suitable caches within 5 minutes and I enjoyed both of them with a very high probability. Today when I want to spend half a day, I typically need to select much more caches as the caches tend to get shorter and the selection will contain several ones I do not enjoy at all. I of course could skip those, but then the duration of the trip decreases as well and I have to invest much more planning time how to spend the rest of the time I wanted to spend outdoors.

It appears to me that you rather have the situation in mind where one visits a new area and then wants to select some caches to visit there out of a huge number of available ones. If much fewer time is available than is needed for visiting all caches that appeal to oneself, the only issue is one of choosing the right caches. THere are different scenarios, however, and mine is typically one where I have a few hours at my disposition and want to spend them by combining caching with being physically active outdoors while spending not much time for planning (neither for selecting caches nor for researching worthwhile trails which I would have to do without using caches to determine my destination).

Hopefully, Favorite point have done something to help find the caches that are in more interesting locations.

No, not at all, at least not for me. Very often (in my area in the majority of the cases) many favourite points refer to the hideout or the container and not to the location or the hike.

Cezanne

I agree, I have a couple of caches getting a high percentage of favorites, they are in a random location in the forest, the involve a decent steep hike with no view, the favorites come purely from finding the cache in fact here is a quote from a recent DNF:

All that said, this was still very fun to find, and had quite a chuckle when I finally spotted it. Thanks for the hide.

Edited by Roman!

to all the powertrail haters:

did you ever try one ?

sure I prefer 1-4 caches a day,

and get time to enjoy the few, the area, the hike and all that,

that is also what I do the most..

BUT I did try once to be a part of a TEAM,

to work together, hard and for a very long time

to see how many we could find in one day !

wow that told us all alot about team work, and our self, how long can you function

without sleep and rest and food untill you go nuts or pass out,

we had a blast !! it was super fun,

but YES a compleetly different game.

if ET highway powertrail is soo bad,

why do so many people travel there to take it ?

maybe becourse the endurance challenge is actually alot of fun,

until you tried to overwork your body and mind,

you newer found the limit of what you can do.

I've only been caching since 2009, so can't compare to what it was like prior to that. Obviously cache numbers have been increasing every year; so the further back you go, the more rare caches were.

Around my area (southern England) we don't have large driving power trails. There are some roadside cache and dash type caches; but most of the caches are in the countryside and involve a walk. All the cachers I know mainly do caches which involve walks (though like myself I may grab a drive by if I happen to be in the area).

What has changed even since 2009 is the number of cache series. Typical will be a circular walking route; from 2 to 10 (or more) miles in length; with 10, 20, 30 or more caches. These walks generally take you somewhere nice - the journey is worth doing. And they are popular; a 6 mile walk with 25 caches will get more finds than a similar 6 mile walk with one cache.

Not all new caches are like that. There are cache owners who put out new caches which take a day or more just to find one cache (typically with multiple stages). There is one owner in my area who only hides exceptional caches. They all involve some sort of story, multiple stages, often puzzles... and are memorable and get lots of favourite points. They get less finds than the series of 25, but for those who do them they are highly appreciated.

So in summary: Around here it is:

- Mostly about walking outdoors to nice/interesting places.

- There are some great innovative caches

- The main difference I see even over the past 3 years is higher numbers. Where before walking 4 hours you might find 5 caches; today cachers are more likely to find 30. Though cachers will seek out and spend more time to find those really special caches.

I have nothing against runs like this, but I would prefer to be in Riffster's car as well. If you like runs like the E.T Highway that's great. Go have fun. Just don't push them on everyone as the greatest caches around, and don't think that just because you like it everyone has to.

On the other side on that same coin, just because you think a nice long hiking or paddle cache is the best thing out there don't push that on everyone.

Caching has changed. I've seen it firsthand. Is it worse? Yes, in some ways. There is a lot more 'trash caches out there.' Is it better? Yes, in some ways. There are a whole lot more caches out there of every type.

Ok, I will bite (removing all of the color-y posting and just use good old quotation marks (like the old days of forum discussions) - again since you decided to make this into something it is not, we'll go that way.

"1. your first post and this last post was loaded and dripping with I DO NOT LIKE POWER TRAILS. Of course this will generate arguments on this board :). See point 3 for PT discussion."

That is what YOU read into it. All subjective and putting words into what isn't there. But I am done arguing what the post was really about. Some people read harry potter and take away a message of the importance of friendship, some read it and think it is evil satanic idolatry.

"2. I responded in the vein you intended... talking about the notion that "quality caches" do not exist any more and that PT are diluting them out."

The original post didn't say that. Other responders did.

"You pointed out some "quality caches" from a certain year, and I contended that there are many more from recent hiders. I've been caching for over a decade in this area and still see new amazing caches put out."

As do I. And the orginal post alluded to the "classic" feel of some of the older caches - fewer "mystery" types and just some classic multis. Simple as that. Was not complaining about that, just a sort of "*sigh* things just seemed less complex and more about a journey" - one of the most classic and top 3 caches I have ever done was The Highwayman and Grandaddys Swap Shop. Two caches you didn't need a group of 20, wasn't a power trail, didn;t need to consult the NSA and employee John Nash to decrypt the first set of coords - again, all have their place and most of which I like too - but caches like Highwayman, brilliant in their simplicity. Again, that is all the original post was about.

"3. I did the Bling Trail and it was wonderful scenery...I also did the ET highway and it was even better scenery ... that lake at the end, the desert vistas, the wildlife we saw was astounding (jackrabbits and cows at night were a sight to behold) to this city boy. That WAS a destination and a journey all rolled into one with good friends ... and a physical challenge to boot (yes, over 1000 caches in a day tests your endurance as much as any other extreme cache, in my opinion)."

Since this is what this whole thread turned into, I will give my critque of power trails and the reason I personally do not like most of them,

And I have commended the bling trail several times - it is not a typical power trail of pill bottles tied to trees on a country road. It does not impede on the boundary of someone's property lines, it is not dangerous that some sleepy truck driver is going to rear end your car half hanging on the side of the road. It also is creative and light hearted.

As far as the ET highway goes, again, my idea of fun no matter who I am with isnt stopping every 528 feet. You can enjoy scenery every couple of miles as one poster said without saturation. Again on a personal note, and agreeing with clan riffster - even with the best people, it is simply boring. But that alone would not even register a discussion on my part. I would not even "gripe" in the least about it. But, below is why I do feel that power trails are detrimental to the game.

1)Most power trails are on road sides that impede on property boundaries - usually on rural roads. As in one thread, people who live back here do so to get away from the hustle and bustle of suburban and urban areas. Having a car full of people come stop and go every 528 feet on these roads and poke around right at their property line is disturbing. I know if I lived out there, I sure as hell wouldn't appreciate it. Yes, technically it is legal - you can walk around on the easment, etc. But is it right, is it responsbile, is it good manners?

2) Most roadside power trails are simply dangerous. Not dangerous in the sense that it is a tough tree climb or dangerous in the sense of crawling through a fish tube in a drain. It puts everyone in danger who sit in that car waiting for the person to sign the log. I have seen too many truckers or bikers on these back roads "kiss the grass" because they drift. Some of these caches on the road sides give very little room to pull off on the shoulder to go grab - technically that shoulder isn't designed for that in the first place. That all being said, what happens when one of these power trail runs turns up on national news because 8 people get killed and burned in a fiery crash when a big rig slammed into a can full of geocachers? Not only tragic, abover all else - but it brings a lot of attention - NEGATIVE attention to the sport. Questions will be asked - what were they doing? Why were they stopped - what is geocaching - a sport where people are pulling off the roads siging logs. And with any kind of attention, curiosities in the wrong places are raised - why are people putting these things on state property? Why are we allowing that? Is it legal? Is it safe? Can we be sued? Can we tax them? Etc. Is it worth the sport being threatened or so fundamentally changed that we are relegated to very small areas to cache in or have to pay insane fees to do it? All because people want to boost their caching numbers?

3) Its plain lazy. Not in the sense of "is this a quality cache or not" Forget that - its subjective and crappy caches can be put out individually without PT's - hell, I have a couple that I put out that were crappy. No, lazy in the sense that these things for the most part, are not maintained. There is, for the most part, an "expectation" now that finders are going to bring along blank log shtees and ziplock bags to maintain the PT for them. Why whould we have to? I never minded doing that for hiking style caches, its undersdtandable the CO's may not be able to get out to do maint. on those - but for a PT? The notion that it is "expected" to be a collective maint. of those, is just plain lazy.

4) The "saturation for saturation" sake. This idea that it is about "the people you are with" and "the scenary" and "the endurnace" to me, honestly is all a cover. Just come out and say it is about racking up insane numbers in a short of a time span as possible and gloating about it. There is no need to pretend. You can enjoy scneary picking up a cacher every half mile or 2 miles. You can enjoy the company in the same capacity, or at an event, etc. And endurance - try hiking the entire uwharrie trail in a day and talk to me about endurance. It is purely about the numbers. And that is all ok. Just don't pretend it isn't.

5) Just have fun no matter what we do. Its just a game. Lets pass it on to the kids, mayube they can figure out how to do it better :-)

Edited by nthacker66

I have nothing against runs like this, but I would prefer to be in Riffster's car as well.

If there's room in Riffster's car I'd like a spot in it as well. While those in Roman's car are jumping out every 45 seconds, those in Riffster's car will have more time to socialize between stops every 15-30 minutes or while taking a short hike together to the top of a hill which provides a scenic view of the area.

Frankly, I find it pretty insulting that not enjoying a certain way of caching is in any way related to ones ability to choose our friends.

I have nothing against runs like this, but I would prefer to be in Riffster's car as well.

If there's room in Riffster's car I'd like a spot in it as well. While those in Roman's car are jumping out every 45 seconds, those in Riffster's car will have more time to socialize between stops every 15-30 minutes or while taking a short hike together to the top of a hill which provides a scenic view of the area.

Frankly, I find it pretty insulting that not enjoying a certain way of caching is in any way related to ones ability to choose our friends.

Sadly, like any social circle no matter what space it is in, this is the case. You either conform or you are outcasted.

4) The "saturation for saturation" sake. This idea that it is about "the people you are with" and "the scenary" and "the endurnace" to me, honestly is all a cover. Just come out and say it is about racking up insane numbers in a short of a time span as possible and gloating about it. There is no need to pretend. You can enjoy scneary picking up a cacher every half mile or 2 miles. You can enjoy the company in the same capacity, or at an event, etc. And endurance - try hiking the entire uwharrie trail in a day and talk to me about endurance. It is purely about the numbers. And that is all ok. Just don't pretend it isn't.

Of course the point of a power trail is to see how many caches you can find in a short period of time. But not necessarily to gloat.

I've done one power trail - of sorts. Stud Mill Road in Maine. Found 133 caches with my brother-in-law in around 12 hours. Caches averaged a mile or so apart on a dirt road with little traffic. Most you could park by, but we did a few longer walks. Yes, we did it to see if we could find 100 in a day. Just to see if we could. We had a blast.

I've also had a blast spending a full day to find one special cache.

I'm not sure I would enjoy 1000 caches in 24 hours; mainly as there would be too much focus/pressure on speed. I don't like to hurry. But I can see the challenge in it and how it could be fun.

Wow, that is really sad. In my area, many of the decent hike caches from years gone by are still in place, so they themselves haven't even decreased significantly. And in addition, there are many more new caches inviting decent hikes, some on new paths, some inviting cachers to revisit those decent hikes they did before for the older caches. I often find an old cache on the decent hikes I take, but I usually find many newer caches, too, just as good as the old one.

I'm really sorry your area has fallen into decay. I can only tell you that those conditions are not as universal as you seem to think.

In the very beginning (the Original Stash and the first few caches that followed it), sure. But the last time I looked at a bookmark list of the first 100 caches, there were multi-caches and mystery/puzzle caches included. And I wouldn't be surprised of some of the "traditional" caches on the list incorporated significant multi or puzzle aspects, because I've found other very old "traditional" caches that did.

That side of geocaching appeared very soon after the game began, and has been around a LOT longer than the modern numbers run trails.

i have not met anyone who didn't enjoy the E.T. Highway,
Let's just say that there's a fair bit of self-selection going on here.
besides I'd rather be condemned to nothing but power trail than nothing but puzzles..
I'd rather be condemned to nothing but puzzles than nothing but modern numbers run trails (which are not at all the same thing as old-school power trails with non-fungible caches along a nice hiking trail).

to all the powertrail haters:did you ever try one ?
I doubt I'll ever do a numbers run (16 caches in one day was a big day for me), but if I did, I'd probably do a puzzle numbers run like some friends did a few years ago. Solve a bunch of puzzles in a puzzle-dense area within reasonable driving range, plot an optimized route, and spend a day finding P&G puzzle cache finals with friends--that could be fun.

At least with a numbers run like that, there's some interesting planning to do, and the caches wouldn't be fungible film canisters dropped every 528ft/161m along a roadway.

I have nothing against runs like this, but I would prefer to be in Riffster's car as well. If you like runs like the E.T Highway that's great. Go have fun. Just don't push them on everyone as the greatest caches around, and don't think that just because you like it everyone has to.

On the other side on that same coin, just because you think a nice long hiking or paddle cache is the best thing out there don't push that on everyone.

Caching has changed. I've seen it firsthand. Is it worse? Yes, in some ways. There is a lot more 'trash caches out there.' Is it better? Yes, in some ways. There are a whole lot more caches out there of every type.

I first drove the ET Hwy in September of '06 and found 7 caches. Came back a year later and there were 4 more to find. A couple more the next year. The original ET series published a day before I had planned to leave for a camping trip in the area. Excited about the power trail that everyone had been talking about for months, I left a day early. As I was coming from the wrong direction, I drove past the first 100 caches and started working up from #900. An hour later at #950, I was bored out of my mind. That never happened the first four times I went caching on the ET. I quit and drove for a bit but turned around to grab some more in the 600s. The first four that I looked for were already missing. I posted DNFs on those not realizing that with the placement of the trail, the entire game of geocaching had changed and we don't have to log DNFs anymore. We just drop a disposable container on the ground and then say that we found it. How silly of me to post DNFs. So anyway, I quit on that section and drove to #400 and found another 50 until I was bored again. Later, at 077, my NUVI's suction cup let go so I pulled over to remount it. Since I was stopped, I crossed the road and grabbed that one also.

A cacher can drive the ET Hwy without having to stop every 528'. There are still regular caches along the way and some dirt roads that you ca go have some fun with. Maybe even discover a ghost town. Should someone come all the way across the country just to drive the ET for the scenery? Probably not. As much as I love the scenery there, I wouldn't skip the Grand Canyon, or Bryce, Zion, Canyonlands, Arches just to go there, but If I wanted to find a bunch of caches with great scenery, ET Hwy is the place.

A cacher can drive the ET Hwy without having to stop every 528'. There are still regular caches along the way and some dirt roads that you ca go have some fun with. Maybe even discover a ghost town. Should someone come all the way across the country just to drive the ET for the scenery? Probably not. As much as I love the scenery there, I wouldn't skip the Grand Canyon, or Bryce, Zion, Canyonlands, Arches just to go there, but If I wanted to find a bunch of caches with great scenery, ET Hwy is the place.

... and that's why although caching has changed, it hasn't.

Caching has expanded. That's about all you can say without getting your (not pointed at one person here but at everyone) personal bisas in the way of the debate.

What has changed even since 2009 is the number of cache series. Typical will be a circular walking route; from 2 to 10 (or more) miles in length; with 10, 20, 30 or more caches. These walks generally take you somewhere nice - the journey is worth doing. And they are popular; a 6 mile walk with 25 caches will get more finds than a similar 6 mile walk with one cache.

Besides the mass abundance of roadside micros, this it what I am seeing over the last two years. Over the years, there are trails in the mountains that my geofriends and I have hiked and there are spots on these trails where we would have liked to place a cache, but there was no way to place a small or regular cache that would have any type of endurance or longevity, so we passed on those spots. All of those spots now have caches in them. The cache owners didn't find anything unique or out smart us with hiding technique or cleverness. They simply dropped a pill container behind a low scrub bush and piled a bunch of rocks over it.

go figure some people actually enjoy something you don't, how dare them.

Ya know, from here in the cheap seats, you seem to be the only one getting angsty over folks who don't fawn all over your idea of fun. The rest of us are pretty much saying, "I like this aspect of the game, but not that aspect", whilst you keep slamming anyone who happens to disagree with your notion of bliss. So... How dare you, Sir.

i sure hope if you're driving the E.T. Highway you keep your eyes focused 528 feet ahead and not up in the sky or you just may run over some poor geocacher out enjoying himself.

If I'm driving down the E.T. Highway, I will be in my traffic lane. If some numbers chaser makes a habit of walking on the blacktop, Darwin will likely resolve that roadway obstruction long before I get there.

Just like crappy caches there are crappy power trails

It's a matter of scale. I could drive you around my caching area, and probably point out a handful of crappy caches, given enough time. Caches with poor containers, at uninspired locations, with copy/paste cache pages. Or, I could go to a power trail and find hundreds, if not thousands. It's a theory of mine that 2000 crappy caches are worse than 5 crappy caches.

(It's just a theory dude. No need to get upset)

did you ever try one ?

Yes. See my story above.

It was the most miserable caching experience of my life.

if ET highway powertrail is soo bad,

why do so many people travel there to take it ?

Because they are numbers oriented? :unsure:

Edited by Clan Riffster

If there's room in Riffster's car I'd like a spot in it as well.

Plenty of room! Homemade chocolate chip cookies in a Tupperware, classic rock on the stereo, a nice, dusty French red wine tucked away in the back for toasting the sunset/sunrise. Can you bring some authentic New York bagels for when our bellies commence grumbling?

On a serious note;

Roman!, there is nothing wrong with you loving power trails. To each their own. I like what I like, and you like what you like. All is good, right up to the point where you insist my way is wrong, for me.

Edited by Clan Riffster

Ya know, from here in the cheap seats, you seem to be the only one getting angsty over folks who don't fawn all over your idea of fun. The rest of us are pretty much saying, "I like this aspect of the game, but not that aspect", whilst you keep slamming anyone who happens to disagree with your notion of bliss. So... How dare you, Sir.

^This.

I think what I'm noticing is changing in geocaching are the people who like one aspect of the game or another have been much more vocal that their way is the "right" way. The more I've cached, the more I've decided that it is just a game, it is what I make of it, and what others do is just another version of "find it, sign log, log online". But, it seems that I'm hearing a few loud voices saying that if you don't agree with their opinion, you're wrong.

Whatever happened to geocaching just being about going geocaching? :anibad:

Actually unlike people slamming the power trails I was not slamming other aspects of the game,

did you ever try one ?

There really are very few, if any, "micro haters", (people who hate all micros) although that term is thrown around here a lot. I believe there are also very few, if any "powertrail haters". I for one, could be considered a roadside micro power trail hater, and it sounds as if the OP is also. Have I done one? Yes, 45 mostly smalls and handful of regulars along a gravel rail trail. There were more, but that's all I did. It was OK, the containers left a lot to be desired (a lot of Margarine tubs and metal coffee cans). Funny you should mention that though, I just noticed last weekend there is a rails to trails power trail in the vicinity of The Midwest Geobash Mega Event, which is all small and regular. If I attend, which I probably will, I would have no problem walking a few miles on this rail trail, and finding a bunch of them.

did you ever try one ?

There really are very few, if any, "micro haters", (people who hate all micros) although that term is thrown around here a lot. I believe there are also very few, if any "powertrail haters". I for one, could be considered a roadside micro power trail hater, and it sounds as if the OP is also. Have I done one? Yes, 45 mostly smalls and handful of regulars along a gravel rail trail. There were more, but that's all I did. It was OK, the containers left a lot to be desired (a lot of Margarine tubs and metal coffee cans). Funny you should mention that though, I just noticed last weekend there is a rails to trails power trail in the vicinity of The Midwest Geobash Mega Event, which is all small and regular. If I attend, which I probably will, I would have no problem walking a few miles on this rail trail, and finding a bunch of them.

What is or isn't a powertrail.

I'm planning a seires/trail that will be 33 miles long. It will have at least 70 caches maybe up to 100. It follows an old highway that has been replace with a new straight high speed 4 lane road. All the caches will be the largest I can hide at eache site. At least a small and even a couple of larges.

Part of the trail will be on a closed section that you must either walk or bike. There will be at least one cemetery cache. One will be at a place where a man collects and displays old signs. Some will be on of near old brigdes.

Is this a powertrail?

Can I get in that car too? We'd have time to chat and share stories without stopping every 45 seconds to find a cache. Maybe we'll even pull over, climb a hill and sit a while to really take in the view. I'll bring a 6 pack, you bring the sandwiches.

Can I get in that car too? We'd have time to chat and share stories without stopping every 45 seconds to find a cache. Maybe we'll even pull over, climb a hill and sit a while to really take in the view. I'll bring a 6 pack, you bring the sandwiches.

Unlike so many trips to do the E.T. highway this trip will never happen, why? No reason too unless you all get together and do it to spite me.

Unlike so many trips to do the E.T. highway this trip will never happen, why? No reason too unless you all get together and do it to spite me.
Still, I get the impression that the trip they're describing is a lot more likely to happen than a numbers run where they get together to do the ET Highway numbers run trail...