Event in Antarctica ?

iamapom

Does anyone know if there has ever been an official GC Event (perhaps now archived long ago) in Antarctica ?

So sure, it may not have been very well attended.... but hey ... did it ever happen ? I'm guessing it probably didn't make Mega status :-)

Thanks iamapom

Edited by iamapom

Does anyone know if there has ever been an official GC Event (perhaps now archived long ago) in Antarctica ?

So sure, it may not have been very well attended.... but hey ... did it ever happen ? I'm guessing it probably didn't make Mega status :-)

Thanks iamapom

Doc Dean went to Antarctica on a research cruise some years back. His pictures were awesome.

7dc7da4f-9d20-4375-84d2-50434fcdf5c7.jpg

44632cf0-e324-4d38-8d8e-771726ca5814.jpg

77b77f45-d837-4106-9a31-804959e2ae7f.jpg

7563cc8a-8d6e-41f3-853e-784f52da6ef1.jpg

As far as events go, don't they need to be available to all?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it true that you must have work in Antarctica to go there or you must be invited by a government just to be able to set foot there? Sumthin' to do with international treaty....

I'm no reviewer, but that sounds like it's not open to all.

Secondly, if the entire event party came in the same vehicle, plane, or ship, is it really an event?

That said, Antarctica is on my bucket list. You can bet that if I was to get the great opportunity to go there, I would certainly try to post one of my traveling Snoogandipity events. It's a lot of fun for me to host an event someplace outside of my comfort zone. I've made some good friends that way.

but isn't it true that you must have work in Antarctica to go there or you must be invited by a government just to be able to set foot there?

No, you can take commercial cruises to Antarctica, my parents did it twice - Christmas in Antarctica trips.

Coooool. I did not know that. It's Summer down there at Christmas, so I bet it's nice. As I recall Dean went in November or December and the pics certainly look like Summer.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it true that you must have work in Antarctica to go there or you must be invited by a government just to be able to set foot there?

As Isonzo Karst noted, there are now plenty of commercial trips down to Antarctica. In fact, there are now outfits that will support your flight to the Pole, hike to the Pole, ski to the Pole, climb up the Vinson Massif, and trips to Emperor Penguin colonies.

Last year I spent November on what is generally seen as the "standard Antarctic loop": Fly in to Ushuaia, Argentina, sail to the Falklands, South Georgia, South Shetlands, Antarctic Peninsula, then back across the Drake Passage to Ushuaia. It completely rocked, and I would go back in a minute! We ended up taking about 40,000 pictures and 120 hours of video, which filled up a 1TB hard drive. :lol:

One of the favorite parts of the trip for me was the trip back across the Drake Passage. 10-15 meter rollers with waves in the 30 meter range crashing over the bridge. I took about 8 hours of video from the bridge, which some day I'll figure how to get onto YouTube.

As far as events, someone should see about having an event at the Antarctic Ice Marathon. I'm sure some of those crazy folks are cachers! :blink:

but isn't it true that you must have work in Antarctica to go there or you must be invited by a government just to be able to set foot there?

No, you can take commercial cruises to Antarctica, my parents did it twice - Christmas in Antarctica trips.

Yeah, I had a watch for quite some time on a cache that gets found regularly by one of those cruises. No finds for months, then suddenly, several in one day. I no longer have that watch set up, though, and I'm not sure which cache it was.

King George Island in Antarctica, has a permanent Chilean population in the village (including post office, church, school, airport etc), as well as Antarctic stations from several countries. We will be there in Mid Feb 2013.

Villa Las Estrellas

I have asked for permission, of the Chilean administrator (in Spanish of course) to place a permanent traditional cache there. But I've yet to receive a reply.

But I thought a a 15 minute flash mob in the middle of town would be fun. The town sees a lot of traffic at all times, especially connecting icebreaker tour ships with the airport. So, chances are there would be Geocachers from our ship, from that day's flight, or from the several bases who could spare 15 mins for a quick event !

It certainly appears that this event will be the first GC event in Antarctica, and will complete the set of continents for GC events.

800px-Villa-Las-Estrellas-Antarctica.JPG

this can happen or this is joke.......

I don't think he is joking. :unsure:

But, why make it a flash-mob? (the lowliest form of an event) <_<

Of course, a flash-mob with the attendees sporting Hawai'ian shirts grass skirts and doing a hula-dance would make it worthwhile. B)

Fixed it for ya.

I attended a flash-mob geo-event that was about 20 attendees shy of qualifying as a mega-event. Prior to the event I found a handful of caches and encountered other cachers at about half of them.

Of course, a flash-mob with the attendees sporting Hawai'ian shirts grass skirts and doing a hula-dance would make it worthwhile. B)

Fixed it for ya.

I attended a flash-mob geo-event that was about 20 attendees shy of qualifying as a mega-event. Prior to the event I found a handful of caches and encountered other cachers at about half of them.

No, no, no, I'm not joking. :rolleyes:

We have a limited time on King George Island, South Shetland Islands, Antarctica. And specifically in the village of Villa Las Estrellas. Maybe as little as 2 to 3 hours. So I don't want to take up all the time with a lengthy multi-hour event. Which may only have a few attendees anyway.

We want to visit the Church, Post Office, mandatory distance sign-post etc as well. I also want to place a traditional cache if I receive permission from the Chilean commander.

Fixed it for ya.

No, no, no, I'm not joking. :rolleyes:

We have a limited time on King George Island, South Shetland Islands, Antarctica. And specifically in the village of Villa Las Estrellas. Maybe as little as 2 to 3 hours. So I don't want to take up all the time with a lengthy multi-hour event. Which may only have a few attendees anyway.

We want to visit the Church, Post Office, mandatory distance sign-post etc as well. I also want to place a traditional cache if I receive permission from the Chilean commander.

I don't know about you, but I've never been to a flash mob event that didn't greatly exceed the time period to call itself a flash mob.

I held one in D.C. this year that lasted about 2 hours and the only reason it broke up is because it started getting reeeeally cold.

Your best bet would be to arrange a group picture/ log signing at the proposed coordinates and maybe have everyone stand on one leg or something... and save the talk about geocaching for on the boat if you want to get all that stuff done. Geocachers just go on and on about caching given the chance if you haven't noticed. :anibad:

I don't know about you, but I've never been to a flash mob event that didn't greatly exceed the time period to call itself a flash mob.
Yep. The flash mob events I've been to have been a lot like regular events, except we take care of all the official event business (e.g., signing the log, raffling off prizes, announcements, games/activities) quickly, and then get on with the social part of the event.

I swear that when I'm worth over 100 million dollars (any day now, yes, any day) I will charter a small fleet of planes to take first-come-first-serve geocachers down for an event in Antarctica. Of course, there's probably some treaty or something preventing it, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it (any day now).

I swear that when I'm worth over 100 million dollars (any day now, yes, any day) I will charter a small fleet of planes to take first-come-first-serve geocachers down for an event in Antarctica. Of course, there's probably some treaty or something preventing it, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it (any day now).

You just need permission from the Chilean Military to land at the base, but I don't think that would be an issue, it's not as if there is a lot of traffic. Oh and like $100M. :rolleyes:

I currently have two friends working at the South Pole base- I know one's gone caching in the past, I should get him to submit an event and then have the other friend attend it. :laughing:

Alas my own research interests have taken me away from the possibility of a paid Antarctic sojourn, but I've always insisted I'd rather elope when I get married and go on a cruise to Antarctica with the money you'd sink into a wedding anyway. Luckily the current beau thinks this is an awesome idea, as helping my sister in her wedding planning lately makes this seem more and more appealing...

(Hmmm, boyfriend also geocaches. Note to self if we tie the knot, create an Antarctic event cache we can attend.)

There's a local sea kayaker I know quite well (I've spent a few hours trying to teach her how to roll) that has led a couple of sea kayaking trips to Antarctica. I've done some training with two other kayakers that have paddled there as well. I assume that there was a bit of paperwork involved to take a group of kayakers there but it can be done.

I currently have two friends working at the South Pole base- I know one's gone caching in the past, I should get him to submit an event and then have the other friend attend it. :laughing:

Alas my own research interests have taken me away from the possibility of a paid Antarctic sojourn, but I've always insisted I'd rather elope when I get married and go on a cruise to Antarctica with the money you'd sink into a wedding anyway. Luckily the current beau thinks this is an awesome idea, as helping my sister in her wedding planning lately makes this seem more and more appealing...

(Hmmm, boyfriend also geocaches. Note to self if we tie the knot, create an Antarctic event cache we can attend.)

Invitation?

If you really do this, you probably should plan a trip to the North pole for your first anniversary.

My event "Antarctica's First Event" published last night:

http://coord.info/GC41N5Y

3.2 miles away is a 4 year old as yet unfound cache. GC1KPVC

I want to send a couple trackables and some of my smashed coins along with you for event/cache swag. Send me your mailing address if you are interested.

I'll send enough for all attendees to get at least 2 or more plus some extra to leave behind....

17e93d95-166b-4e18-89c5-ba3d38af8596.jpg

My event "Antarctica's First Event" published last night:

http://coord.info/GC41N5Y

3.2 miles away is a 4 year old as yet unfound cache. GC1KPVC

I want to send a couple trackables and some of my smashed coins along with you for event/cache swag. Send me your mailing address if you are interested.

I'll send enough for all attendees to get at least 2 or more plus some extra to leave behind....

17e93d95-166b-4e18-89c5-ba3d38af8596.jpg

Cool. I will contact you outside this forum. Will take trackables, if they fit in my small Pathtags bag. As you can imagine we are short on space and weight.