Oregon 450 not showing caches

Just bought a oregon 450. went through the manuals and set it up put a card in it and now when I put a PQ in it by sending to drive/garmin/gpx which I read on the wiki write up and when I turn the device on and press the geocaching button it says there are no caches avalaible, but when I press the where to button and select waypoints all the caches are there. I also sent it to the card but the same things happens. Do I need to make a folder on the card to put them in? Also the pc does not recognize the card but sees the garmin. Is it possible that the contacts are not a tight fit and not working properly and the card does seem loose in its holder. Any advice would be really great.

Thanks Team Birdaholic.

On the card you do need to create a folder Garmin\GPX and pop the unzipped gpx files in there. Also the card shouldn't be a loose fit, are you sure it's the correct way around and properly seated?

When you connect your Oregon to your PC you should see both the device and the card in Windows Explorer, if you don't the card isn't fitted correctly. Oh, and check it's formatted as FAT32.

Thankyou this is what I was not doing. Will check it right now.

OK, then putting the unzipped file either into Garmin\GPX folder on the card or on the unit should work ... :unsure:

When you unzip the PQ you should get 2 files, one contains the geocaches, the other waypoints associated with the caches, eg parking areas. Are you putting both or just one into the folder? If just one (I never bother with the waypoints file) make sure it's the one containing the caches.

Yes I am unzipping them and with my old garmin (76csx) I always deleted the waypoints. but this time I loaded them both into the same folder nothing

How are you loading the unzipped PQ files into the Drive/Garmin/GPX folder? This is a drag & drop or copy & paste job. No 3rd party software is needed. When you unzip the PQ you should have a .gpx file and a .wpt file. Just copy & paste both files in the Garmin/GPX folder. You should see both files in this folder when you use Windows Explorer.

You may want to try to start over by removing all GPX files internally & externally and startup the GPS to clear out the internal registry. Then shut down and return the GPX files back to the GPX folder.

OK here is where we are up to - I just deleted all gpx files from the card and the gps. I copied the gpx file of the pq I down loaded last night. I pasted them to E/garmin/gpx (card). Disconnected the gps from pc and turned it on and pressed the geocaching button it said there were not caches available. Pressed the go to button and waypoints were not listed in the drop down list. Plugged it back to the pc and copied the same file to D/garmin/gpx/. There is also a folder named current which was empty so I put a copy in here as well. Disconnetted the pc turned on the gps and pressed the geocaching button, it still says there are no caches available. I pressed the where to button and waypoints are now listed selected this and there are all my caches. What the hell am I doing wrong here?

ADD I just deleted everything again and used mapsource and they still only show as waypoints

but if I put them in one by one they go to the geocaching button.

2nd ADD I have just put in 60 caches one at a time and it works perfectly, for some reason it it not recognizing the PQ

Edited by Team Birdaholic

I have some questions that might help understand here. What is your Oregon firmware level? What operating system are you running in your PC? When the single files are loaded to the Oregon and are visible as caches what folder are they in on the device/card? I don't recommend a scattergun approach and put copies of files everywhere, that will only confuse matters. Just put one copy in the same folder as the working files and remove all others. If you wish to PM me and send me the PQ download zip file that is failing I am happy to try it on my Oregon. Good luck!

OK here is where we are up to - I just deleted all gpx files from the card and the gps. I copied the gpx file of the pq I down loaded last night. I pasted them to E/garmin/gpx (card). Disconnected the gps from pc and turned it on and pressed the geocaching button it said there were not caches available. Pressed the go to button and waypoints were not listed in the drop down list. Plugged it back to the pc and copied the same file to D/garmin/gpx/. There is also a folder named current which was empty so I put a copy in here as well. Disconnetted the pc turned on the gps and pressed the geocaching button, it still says there are no caches available. I pressed the where to button and waypoints are now listed selected this and there are all my caches. What the hell am I doing wrong here?

ADD I just deleted everything again and used mapsource and they still only show as waypoints

but if I put them in one by one they go to the geocaching button.

2nd ADD I have just put in 60 caches one at a time and it works perfectly, for some reason it it not recognizing the PQ

Did you disconnect and restart the GPS after removing all GPX files. This cleans out the GPS internal registry when the GPS starts up and sees no GPX files.

I have some questions that might help understand here. What is your Oregon firmware level? What operating system are you running in your PC? When the single files are loaded to the Oregon and are visible as caches what folder are they in on the device/card? I don't recommend a scattergun approach and put copies of files everywhere, that will only confuse matters. Just put one copy in the same folder as the working files and remove all others. If you wish to PM me and send me the PQ download zip file that is failing I am happy to try it on my Oregon. Good luck!

I went to the garmin site looking for updates for the software and it said it was fully updated. The pc runs windows 7. The single files are loaded to the device/garmin/gpx which is where I put the pq. I tried putting a file one at a time that didnt work then I started putting them in everywhere. There is a write up on wiki which seemed very easy to follow but this one doesnt do it. I am wondering if the gps itself is faulty and not reading the pq.

I went to the garmin site looking for updates for the software and it said it was fully updated. The pc runs windows 7. The single files are loaded to the device/garmin/gpx which is where I put the pq. I tried putting a file one at a time that didnt work then I started putting them in everywhere. There is a write up on wiki which seemed very easy to follow but this one doesnt do it. I am wondering if the gps itself is faulty and not reading the pq.

I find it hard to believe the GPS is faulty if you can send individual files successfully. I am more suspicious of the unzip process. I am running Windows 7 Firmware 6.0 (Setup and scroll down to the bottom for About to see which). I am setup for 1.0.1 GPX format on geocaching.com. I have just done a test by removing all my existing cache files and copy a PQ and all worked as expected. I downloaded a PQ to the PC - 2211824.zip. I then used winzip to unzip creating 2211824.gpx and 2211824-wpts.gpx . These files I copied to the e:\Garmin\GPX folder which is my unit. I then restarted and all caches appear from the Geocache icon and all waypoints are present. If you wish to get in touch I am happy to see what happens when I load your file since I am always fascinated by these obscure problems!

No need to delete anything. If you keep the GPX files in internal memory, make a new folder on the desktop of your computer then “remove” the GPX files from the GPX folder by drag & drop or cut & paste. If you keep the GPX files on the external memory it is very easy to “remove” the GPX files by simply removing the external memory.

I think there is something wrong with your PQ that you are loading. Are there any caches in the PQ? You can open the 2 resulting GPX files with Notepad or Word to see what is there. You can also use BaseCamp or GSAK to view them.

No need to delete anything. If you keep the GPX files in internal memory, make a new folder on the desktop of your computer then “remove” the GPX files from the GPX folder by drag & drop or cut & paste. If you keep the GPX files on the external memory it is very easy to “remove” the GPX files by simply removing the external memory.

You can also just create a 'Swap' folder on the Oregon (outside of the Garmin\GPX\ directory) and move GPX files you do not want indexed there.

I also feel something is wrong with the PQ file being sent to your GPSr.

Instead of winzip, can you try with 7-zip?

Edited by Atlas Cached

OK went geocaching today and it really does work well very stable and accurate. After we found a few we suddenly discovered how to mark them as found. Next time out we will start making notes at each cache site. Got home, logged our caches, read very carefully what everyone is saying and deleted everything turned it on turned it off twice plugged it back to the pc and using a different browser (firefox instead of rockmelt) and drag and dropping instead of cut and paste and WOW it actually worked. Deleted it and placed it in 3 times just to make sure. The fourth time didnt work but two more tries did work. It is the way it is unzipped and instead of saving the file when I download it I will now open it in window explorer. It is even working on the card and showing caches on the cache button.

At last I can move on, is there a way you can upload your finds without logging them one by one.

PS I am soo happy now

Team Birdaholic.