second GPS

jedddog

My GPS of choice for caching is the Garmin 60 CSx, love it, but I'm looking for a second unit to use exclusivly to download some caches and go to that area only to find those caches and then clean them out for next time. My garmin has caches and maps from all over that I meant to go to but never did, that will stay on it till I get to them. any input for me.

So, I'm still pretty new to this whole gig, and still haven't jumped in and gotten an actual GPS device (I just the app on my iPhone 4s). If I go looking for the Garmin 60SCx like you mentioned, what else should I look for on he box features to help me decide to get that one?

I'm really excited to finally go out and get a handheld GPS, but at the same time I want to make sure that I am getting a GPS that for sure incorporates the geocaching (stuff from Groundspeak if possible). These forums obviously offers a ton of information when it comes to different GPS devices as everyone has their own opinion. I guess it kinda makes it hard with all the different opinions stacked all over the place lol.

I have a 60 CSX like you and a newer Oregon device. I just like the routing and toggling functions of the 60, however, its a dinosaur compared to newer GPS device in the amount of information you can put in there on a given cache. I can understand not wanting to let go of the 60 though!

So, I'm still pretty new to this whole gig, and still haven't jumped in and gotten an actual GPS device (I just the app on my iPhone 4s). If I go looking for the Garmin 60SCx like you mentioned, what else should I look for on he box features to help me decide to get that one?

I'm really excited to finally go out and get a handheld GPS, but at the same time I want to make sure that I am getting a GPS that for sure incorporates the geocaching (stuff from Groundspeak if possible). These forums obviously offers a ton of information when it comes to different GPS devices as everyone has their own opinion. I guess it kinda makes it hard with all the different opinions stacked all over the place lol.

Well here's an opinion. Under no circumstances should you go for a 60CSX if you are currently using an Iphone! It is a great, but ancient unit. If I'm not mistaken, it was first introduced in 2005. You are going to want a modern, or "current" model. For example, the two cheapest "current model" handheld units on the market The Garmin Etrex 10, or the Magellan Explorist 110 (both about $100) both support paperless caching. If you drop $300 for a new, but sitting around on a shelf for ages 60CSX, it is not going to be paperless.

I have and use a Gasrmin 62 sc. It is accurate and allows paperless caching. You can also remove the caches that you have stored but you have to have a computer to connect with and then delete them. I use the 62sc in conjunction with my Iphone 4. I navigate with the 62sc and use the Iphone for the description, logs, hints and, the arial photos.

My GPS of choice for caching is the Garmin 60 CSx, love it, but I'm looking for a second unit to use exclusivly to download some caches and go to that area only to find those caches and then clean them out for next time. My garmin has caches and maps from all over that I meant to go to but never did, that will stay on it till I get to them. any input for me.

Not sure why you don't just receive the caches from your 60, then clear it out and load the new caches, then when you get back delete the ones you found and reload the previous ones.

Buying a whole new GPS to avoid juggling a few waypoints seems like buying a new car because the old one is low on fuel.

...that I meant to go to but never did, that will stay on it till I get to them. any input for me.

Just one small piece of advice....

Read your statement, again if you will. How old is that data?

Have you ever looked but not found a cache, then later find out that it is disabled or archived? Well... that is what old data does for you. Better yet, the new cache (the one that replaced the old one) is simply located about 30 yards away. Betcha missed that one too, as that is the data you don't have (because you got the 'old' stuff).

Keep the old stuff if you want. We did, some time ago, but don't anymore. We take new data whenever we go out, each and every time.

I want to stay with garmin, I read that with magellan you can't just hook to geocaching.com and download caches you need extra software, and I use my android with c:geo app in conjunction with the 60, so I always have fresh info. the 60 might be old but if the coords are correct, if it says you're standing on a cache, you are! If I don't have a cache in the 60 I get the waypoints from the phone app.(not that accurate)into the garmin, and presto!a smiley. not looking at the cost.