Ignore List

_Wolverine

How do I set up an "ignore list" of a certain geocacher that I don't wish to find caches? Don't ask why I want to do this as I am not going to say anything bad, other than I don't wish to find a certain geocacher's caches showing up on my "nearby caches" to find..

Your 'Ignore List' is automatically created for you when you became a 'Premium Member'. :)

As stated above, you can put caches on it 'one-by-one' as you visit the cache pages.

You could filter out those caches using GSAK, but why waste the PQ space on caches you don't want to find? :blink:

Once you have filtered for the caches owned by the particular owner, you can (if you are using GSAK 8, and who isn't) use the Geocaching API feature to put the caches on a bookmark list...in this case, your ignore list.

Now that the caches are on your ignore list you can set your PQ parameters to not include them in any PQ you create.

How do I set up an "ignore list" of a certain geocacher that I don't wish to find caches? Don't ask why I want to do this as I am not going to say anything bad, other than I don't wish to find a certain geocacher's caches showing up on my "nearby caches" to find..

Your 'Ignore List' is automatically created for you when you became a 'Premium Member'. :)

As stated above, you can put caches on it 'one-by-one' as you visit the cache pages.

You could filter out those caches using GSAK, but why waste the PQ space on caches you don't want to find? :blink:

Once you have filtered for the caches owned by the particular owner, you can (if you are using GSAK 8, and who isn't) use the Geocaching API feature to put the caches on a bookmark list...in this case, your ignore list.

Now that the caches are on your ignore list you can set your PQ parameters to not include them in any PQ you create.

We should not have to jump through hoops(GSAK) to filter out power trails as unwanted. They should be a seperate type of cache, therefor easily filterable at the start. GS does not seem interested in this fix. "Power Trails" are turning our hobby(sport) into a numbers game.

We should not have to jump through hoops(GSAK) to filter out power trails as unwanted. They should be a seperate type of cache, therefor easily filterable at the start. GS does not seem interested in this fix. "Power Trails" are turning our hobby(sport) into a numbers game.

Agreed.

But, creating a special 'Power Trail' cache type or attribute would require the owner (or the reviewer) to correctly place the cache in the proper category.

If it were a cache type, there is some ambiguous-ness about what actually constitutes a 'Power Trail'.

So, TPTB would have to come up with a codified definition in order to classify them properly.

Not likely to happen.

If it were an attribute, the cache owner would need to decide/admit that their cache is a 'Power Trail' cache.

In some cases the owner(s) would probably be proud of the distinction, and in others they would not. So the proper attribute may or may not be added. And yet again the definition of a 'Power Trail' would need to be codified by TPTB so the attribute could be properly applied.

Not likely to happen.

If it were a cache type, there is some ambiguous-ness about what actually constitutes a 'Power Trail'.

So, TPTB would have to come up with a codified definition in order to classify them properly.

I think a definition like the one I suggested almost 2 years ago makes it pretty clear. There are significant differences between that definition and either the definition of traditional caches or the definition of multi-caches. And I think that's the key, if these caches are going to have their own type. They can't be just traditional caches that filter differently.

But yeah, it's unlikely to happen.

If it were an attribute, the cache owner would need to decide/admit that their cache is a 'Power Trail' cache.

In some cases the owner(s) would probably be proud of the distinction, and in others they would not. So the proper attribute may or may not be added. And yet again the definition of a 'Power Trail' would need to be codified by TPTB so the attribute could be properly applied.

It is my impression that people who place modern numbers run trails like the ET Highway caches already use attributes (e.g., Scuba Required in the desert) and sock-puppet accounts to help others identify the caches in the numbers run trail. I'm pretty sure they'd be happy to use a more appropriate attribute if one were implemented.

Are the concepts of "Recommended for Kids" or "Scenic View" or "Tourist Friendly" any better defined than the modern concept of "Power Trail" (or "Numbers Run Trail")? If someone hides what the community considers to be a numbers run trail, then I'm sure there will be sufficient encouragement to use the new attribute. And if the attribute is used inappropriately, then I'm sure there will be sufficient encouragement to stop using the attribute if its use is causing real problems.

I have a member in the area that has over 700 geocaches. Is there a way to ignore all from this person so I can concentrate on others.

If you use the latest version of GSAK 8.0 (or higher) and you're a premium member then answer is yes.

Here's how to do it:

In your GSAK database you should filter on owner name "contains" and fill in the username of the owner of the caches you want to ignore.

Thus you'll get a subset containing only caches from that specific owner.

Then choose the option "Add to bookmarklist" from the menu "geocaching.com access" and be sure to select "all in current filter".

You'll see a list of all your bookmarklists, including the "Ignore List".

Select the ignore list, click the "Add" button and you're ready.

The same way can be used to move all T5 caches onto your ignorelist if you're no climbing fan, or to get all questionmarks off the map if you're not interested in solving riddles, etc. etc.

Greetz and happy caching, Bloodwoosj.

Do they have alot of caches? If not, you can manually put them one by one on your ignore list.

Or if you use GSAK, you can easily filter out all the caches by a specific person before you load them onto your GPS.

I really wish this was a feature included in being a PM. I don't do power trails, and the fill my PQ's with data I don't want.