Magellan GPSr, THOUGHT I HAD A GREAT PRODUCT

Your product is only as good as you are able to stand behind it!

I am a company owner and i believe that it is my job to do anything i can to make a customer happy, Well Magellan doesn't think the same way.

I bought my first Explorist 710 and had it 2 months when it got stolen out of my truck. heck i hadn't even figured the thing out yet. So i bought another one and was really starting to enjoy using it when the screen cracked. this made it to where i wasn't even able to use it. i wasn't to worried i have worked with companies on repairs before so i set out to their web site to get the process started. I Got in touch with them and it seemed as it was going to be an easy fix. they said they would call me back and i could get it fixed for $60. I thought that was reasonable. Well no call back! so i called them and this time i was told that i had to send my unit in and they would send me a refurbished unit for $320 when the new one was $380. that just doesn't make since. I know they would take my unit replace the screen for about $50 and then sell it to the next person. all this after i just went through the same process with my radar detector. Whistler took my unit in and sent me back a refurbished one for about $40 that included shipping and handling.

i would have suggested the Explorist 710 to anyone even with the frail screen if it could be replaced for a reasonable cost but that isn't the case.

Wow, I thought my post got removed by a moderator or something. But there's a duplicate thread in one of the education forums. So here's my post from there re-posted.

Your product is only as good as you are able to stand behind it!

I am a company owner and i believe that it is my job to do anything i can to make a customer happy, Well Magellan doesn't think the same way.

I bought my first Explorist 710 and had it 2 months when it got stolen out of my truck. heck i hadn't even figured the thing out yet. So i bought another one and was really starting to enjoy using it when the screen cracked. this made it to where i wasn't even able to use it. i wasn't to worried i have worked with companies on repairs before so i set out to their web site to get the process started. I Got in touch with them and it seemed as it was going to be an easy fix. they said they would call me back and i could get it fixed for $60. I thought that was reasonable. Well no call back! so i called them and this time i was told that i had to send my unit in and they would send me a refurbished unit for $320 when the new one was $380. that just doesn't make since. I know they would take my unit replace the screen for about $50 and then sell it to the next person. all this after i just went through the same process with my radar detector. Whistler took my unit in and sent me back a refurbished one for about $40 that included shipping and handling.

i would have suggested the Explorist 710 to anyone even with the frail screen if it could be replaced for a reasonable cost but that isn't the case.

From what I've heard, Magellan will always offer a refurbished unit. I didn't know their prices were so high for such. Why don't you try Jungleghost out of New Jersey? They seem to specialize in the Triton units, but their email address is prominently displayed on that page, and it wouldn't hurt to send them an email and see what they say.

Can I suggest to you for your next GPSr you consider a Garmin product?

I agree.

I own probably 15 or so Meridian units which were/are some of the finest GPS units ever made having features 10 years ago that new ones lack.

When they quit the Meridian line I went to Garmin and the 60 CSx ( I still like my Platinum better ).

Now we use the 62S and Oregon 450.

There is a third party, jungleghost.com, that offers screen repairs on the Explorist X10 models, with some restrictions based on the unit's serial number. The cost is $128 plus shipping.

I've never this service, so I can't speak to the quality of repairs. I only know of it because I did ran across their site when researching GPS units, and thought of it when I read your post. A link is below

Magellan Explorist 510 610 710 Screen Repair

Edit - I didn't read all the posts thoroughly - I see Mr. Yuck's post above already mentioned jungleghost.com

Edited by kcac1208

There is a third party, jungleghost.com, that offers screen repairs on the Explorist X10 models, with some restrictions based on the unit's serial number. The cost is $128 plus shipping.

I've never this service, so I can't speak to the quality of repairs. I only know of it because I did ran across their site when researching GPS units, and thought of it when I read your post. A link is below

Magellan Explorist 510 610 710 Screen Repair

Edit - I didn't read all the posts thoroughly - I see Mr. Yuck's post above already mentioned jungleghost.com

Goff-family,

Please feel free to email me at zukicacher@gmail.com and I will get you into direct contact with a Magellan Rep, not tech support, but a rep that can assist you.

Also, I would welcome you as well as any other Magellan users to join us at http://wwww.magellaninsiders.com which is a forum where we're working directly with Magallen to assist people with not only learning how to use their GPSes, but also with issues like this.

David

Magellan Insider

Edited by Socal ZukiCachers