Sometimes a camo cache might be a frog

TxVic

HI all,

I'm new to this very fun game and so is my daughter. I just have to share this story. Today, at lunch, we were both out looking for caches, not together. She calls, kind of freaked out. She says, "Mom, I just pulled a big frog out of a hole! It was as big as my hand!" She was so freaked, she didn't think to take a picture. I about died laughing. After I got her calmed down, I mentioned a video I watched that helped me out, about what to put in a bag when out searching. I also told her that I keep a flashlight to shine in holes. She thought that was a good idea. Go figure. And she's usually pretty smart. So, to all the new people out there, beware of frogs that look like geocaches, the sneaky critters. What a great time this is!!

TxVic

HI all,

I'm new to this very fun game and so is my daughter. I just have to share this story. Today, at lunch, we were both out looking for caches, not together. She calls, kind of freaked out. She says, "Mom, I just pulled a big frog out of a hole! It was as big as my hand!" She was so freaked, she didn't think to take a picture. I about died laughing. After I got her calmed down, I mentioned a video I watched that helped me out, about what to put in a bag when out searching. I also told her that I keep a flashlight to shine in holes. She thought that was a good idea. Go figure. And she's usually pretty smart. So, to all the new people out there, beware of frogs that look like geocaches, the sneaky critters. What a great time this is!!

TxVic

Frogs I would not worry about. Rattlesnakes and other venomous snakes are something to worry about, as are spiders. The flashlight is a very good idea.

Frogs I would not worry about. Rattlesnakes and other venomous snakes are something to worry about, as are spiders. The flashlight is a very good idea.

Or you could take along someone you don't like....Kidding of course. I've heard that when you are in a group and reach into a hole and scream you can scare the rest pretty good. Not that I'd ever do anything like that :ph34r: seriously though Rattlers can be dangerous as can any other local critters. I've usually got something I can stick in a hole if I can't see in it.

Or a dead skunk is really only a skunk skin.

Looking for a cache where a bunch of cachers had been searching for awhile.

They said dead skunk over there, I said my GPS is pointing over there.

Started poking near it with a stick when a more experienced cacher decided maybe the rest of the crew just scared and he picked it up to find it was merely a skunk skin.

HI all,

TxVic

I was looking at some cache logs for some of the caches I might wan to find in Singapore a couple weeks ago and one of the logs mentioned seeing a snake and another specifically mentioned a cobra. I ended up finding three caches. No snakes.

I thought a frog was a cache once. :)

The cache description was very ambiguous and the size of the container wasn't chosen. I checked the logs and there were a lot of compliments on such a creative container. So, I searched around for a while then suddenly I saw a large frog half covered in leaves. I studied it for a few moments and it didn't move at all. The moisture on its skin gave it a plastic look so I started thinking it could be a toy with a micro attached to it.

As I reached down, fingers inches away, it jumped! lol, it startled me at first, then I looked around to make sure there were no witnesses before laughing at myself. I never found the cache.

I went to check on one of my caches near a river that had a few DNFs. I reached under where it was, before I could grab the cache (it was there) a small beautiful snake departed very quickly. I was startled, then said to friends with me that I'd never seen such a pretty snake. They couldn't believe I'd never seen a copperhead before. One of my friends had a snake bite kit in his bag, thankfully we didn't need it.

I went to check on one of my caches near a river that had a few DNFs. I reached under where it was, before I could grab the cache (it was there) a small beautiful snake departed very quickly. I was startled, then said to friends with me that I'd never seen such a pretty snake. They couldn't believe I'd never seen a copperhead before. One of my friends had a snake bite kit in his bag, thankfully we didn't need it.

I may need to add a kit to my bag, good idea. Today, I was showing a VP of our company a typical hiding spot, picked up the skirt of a lamp post by us in our parking lot, jumped a bit as a tiny lizard jumped further. The VP laughed, but I don't think he'll be caching.