Duplicate TB dog tags

I released a TB I owned back in 2009 but it got lost somewhere up in Northumberland, but I kept the duplicate TB dog tag. I recently came across a cache containing such a duplicate and now want to release this duplicate into the wild blue yonder but with a different attachment (toy).

Do I just edit the original description and title? or what?

I released a TB I owned back in 2009 but it got lost somewhere up in Northumberland, but I kept the duplicate TB dog tag. I recently came across a cache containing such a duplicate and now want to release this duplicate into the wild blue yonder but with a different attachment (toy).

Do I just edit the original description and title? or what?

In a word... Yes!

I've had to do that to a few of mine over the years. You can give it a new mission, call it something else and add new attachement but don't delete the previous logs or you'll upset all the previous finders.

I'm assuming you can order new tags with my supplied numbers? I've ordered TB stickers with supplied numbers but never a new tag. I don't want to release my 'copy' tags into the wild.......

Curious .... has anyone released a copy TB and ended up having the original one show up? There would be two TB's in the wild with the same code? That'd be interesting to watch the logs....and the miles. :laughing:

Curious .... has anyone released a copy TB and ended up having the original one show up? There would be two TB's in the wild with the same code? That'd be interesting to watch the logs....and the miles. :laughing:

Probably, but I don't actually recall an instance. There were a couple where the T/B owner released multiple copies deliberately. (This one for instance) This got 'the powers that be' a bit worked up and the T/Bs were eventually locked

Edited by Pharisee

I'm assuming you can order new tags with my supplied numbers? I've ordered TB stickers with supplied numbers but never a new tag. I don't want to release my 'copy' tags into the wild.......

Yes, I have - on this one: Bright Blessings

The MkI disappeared. I released MkII about a year later. That disappeared too, so MkIII was released... Then MkI re-appeared after being missing for 3 years.

If you look back to the logs around 6th Oct 2010 you can see that the original MkI re-appears so I asked the cachers who had MkIII to bin it so that only the original is travelling.

MrsB

Yes, I have - on this one: Bright Blessings

The MkI disappeared. I released MkII about a year later. That disappeared too, so MkIII was released... Then MkI re-appeared after being missing for 3 years.

If you look back to the logs around 6th Oct 2010 you can see that the original MkI re-appears so I asked the cachers who had MkIII to bin it so that only the original is travelling.

MrsB

Thanks!!

So, you make every effort to only keep one in circulation. Not that it happens very often...but...weirder things have happened I guess.

The exact same thing has just happened to me, so while browsing the forums to see what to do, I came across Mrs Blorenge's excellent example, and have followed suit - I have left a note on the cache page where the Proxy was last placed, asking the next finder to bin it/take it out of circulation. Then I messaged the finder of the Original, asking them to wait until I know that the Proxy has gone, before they put the Original in another cache. This is for Little Satellite Mermaid geocoin TB295FE.

The Proxy is in Wales, the Original is in Australia! :huh:

Thanks Mrs B for your post, without which I wouldn't have known what on earth to do! :D

Incidentally, I loved the idea behind your Bright Blessings - I had one similar called Satellite Star's Lucky Star, but I think someone thought they could have exclusive access to it's lucky charm, because it hasn't left their possession for over a year now! Hey ho! This time I am not going to send out a proxy.

I think the message is - have faith in your lost trackables - you never know when or where they will show up!